cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cw_momof4
Paper Tape
Views: 983
Message 1 of 2

Are the Moto X Play and Motorola DROID MAXX 2 the same device?

I have a Motorola DROID MAXX 2 that I bought from Walmart to go on my Verizon plan. I talked to Motorola and they asked for my IMEI number. They then said my device was a DROID MAXX 2. Yet, their website under "My Stuff" says it's a Moto X Play. Yet, Verizon says it's a DROID MAXX 2. The rep from Verizon then said you could tell by checking to see if the back of the phone is non-removable. He said the DROID MAXX 2's back cover is non-removable while the X Play's back cover is removable. I have taken my case off, and my back cover is removable.

I am checking on this, because supposedly the X Play is receiving the Android Nougat 7.1.2 update.

I would like some clarification here to see which device I have as I am very confused.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 964
Message 2 of 2

Re: Are the Moto X Play and Motorola DROID MAXX 2 the same device?

@cw_momof4 wrote:

I have a Motorola DROID MAXX 2 that I bought from Walmart to go on my Verizon plan. I talked to Motorola and they asked for my IMEI number. They then said my device was a DROID MAXX 2. Yet, their website under "My Stuff" says it's a Moto X Play. Yet, Verizon says it's a DROID MAXX 2. The rep from Verizon then said you could tell by checking to see if the back of the phone is non-removable. He said the DROID MAXX 2's back cover is non-removable while the X Play's back cover is removable. I have taken my case off, and my back cover is removable.

I am checking on this, because supposedly the X Play is receiving the Android Nougat 7.1.2 update.

I would like some clarification here to see which device I have as I am very confused.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

The my stuff page is messed up. Dont go by that. The phones are very different. Under about phone you will see software version... that full string (google search or post here) will clarify. 

But if you bought a MAXX 2 then i am very sure you have a MAXX 2. 

Also don't believe everything you here about updates.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum