Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nlavon
Blue Screen Again
Views: 882
Message 1 of 3

Droid Maxx Will Not Connect with Verizon Router on 5 GHz Signal

I began having WiFi connection issues with my Droid Maxx (purchased 2013) with Android 4.4.4.  It could not see the main home network at 5 Ghz, even when the phone was right next to the Verizon FIOS router. Now, it won't see it at all. It will connect at 2.4 Ghz. Motorola Support says the phone should pick up the 5 Ghz network but it will not. I have done all of the recommendations--Safe Mode, Clear Cache, Factory Reset--nothing works. The other day, curiously, it picked up the 5 Ghz signal for about two hours, then it disappeared again. The phone sees tons of other networks--some across the street--but not the 5 Ghz signal 18 inches away. I put in a FIOS Extender but I was having issues before that and the phone sees the 2.4 Ghz signal on the extender with no issues. So does this OS no longer pick up a 5 Ghz signal? I've tried everything I can think of; if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Neal Lavon

Takoma Park, MD

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 867
Message 2 of 3

Re: Droid Maxx Will Not Connect with Verizon Router on 5 GHz Signal

@nlavon wrote:

I began having WiFi connection issues with my Droid Maxx (purchased 2013) with Android 4.4.4.  It could not see the main home network at 5 Ghz, even when the phone was right next to the Verizon FIOS router. Now, it won't see it at all. It will connect at 2.4 Ghz. Motorola Support says the phone should pick up the 5 Ghz network but it will not. I have done all of the recommendations--Safe Mode, Clear Cache, Factory Reset--nothing works. The other day, curiously, it picked up the 5 Ghz signal for about two hours, then it disappeared again. The phone sees tons of other networks--some across the street--but not the 5 Ghz signal 18 inches away. I put in a FIOS Extender but I was having issues before that and the phone sees the 2.4 Ghz signal on the extender with no issues. So does this OS no longer pick up a 5 Ghz signal? I've tried everything I can think of; if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Neal Lavon

Takoma Park, MD

In the wifi settings, do you have an option to switch between 2.4, 5ghz and automatic? have you tried using a wifi anaylzer tool to see if the other networks are seen by the phone at all?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
nlavon
Blue Screen Again
Views: 864
Message 3 of 3

Re: Droid Maxx Will Not Connect with Verizon Router on 5 GHz Signal

I didn't. But I did call up Verizon about the router. After a while, the technician switched the Verizon 5 Ghz router channel to 157 which he said solved a known issue regarding 5 Ghz signals and mobile phones. After he did, the network showed up. So I am hoping that solved it.

Thanks for replying.

Neal Lavon
Takoma Park, MD