Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 953
Message 11 of 29

Re: Droid max 2 Charging issue

No problem - at least now we all know what we are working with. Even though I have a Maxx 2, I am no where close to being as versed as you all are with these things.

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 941
Message 12 of 29

Over the weekend, I went ahead and did a full factory reset. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem, but I did notice something during the reset. I found that even though my phone won't charge while powered on, the battery doesn't drain as fast when it is plugged in and powered on, so it must be getting some juice, just not enough to charge the battery. I stumbled across this because during the reset, I had it plugged in, the screen was on and I was watching what it was doing. I noticed that the battery percentage would drop about 1% every 5 to 6 minutes while it was reloading all my apps and bringing back in all my messages/phone call history (a lot of wireless activity and probably CPU activity). I needed to move the phone so I unplugged it to move it. After I unplugged it, I noticed that the battery percentage would drop 1% every 2 to 3 minutes, so about twice as fast as it did when it was plugged in. Thinking that maybe the "Not charging" indicator was being falsely flagged and it really was charging while powered on, after the set up was complete I left it plugged in for a couple of hours to see if it would charge .... but it didn't, so there was no change. Also, before I did a factory reset, I thought I'd try to let it charge for more than 8 hours (thinking that it was just slowing way down when it got close to 80% charged) - so I let it charge, powered off, for 24 hours. It still only reached 80%.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I am ot using a Motorola charger because I bought this phone used and it came with an LG charger. I know my phone is capable of Turbo charging, so I borrowed a Samsung Turbo Charger this morning to see if that helped. It still indicated "Not charging" while powered on and I didn't have time to test it long term to see if it would increase the percentage while on or make it past 80% while off. If I can get a Turbo Charger long term, I'll give that a try.

Is there any way I can go back to Marshmallow to see if this was the update that affected my phone?

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 939
Message 13 of 29

@RL67037wrote:

Over the weekend, I went ahead and did a full factory reset. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem, but I did notice something during the reset. I found that even though my phone won't charge while powered on, the battery doesn't drain as fast when it is plugged in and powered on, so it must be getting some juice, just not enough to charge the battery. I stumbled across this because during the reset, I had it plugged in, the screen was on and I was watching what it was doing. I noticed that the battery percentage would drop about 1% every 5 to 6 minutes while it was reloading all my apps and bringing back in all my messages/phone call history (a lot of wireless activity and probably CPU activity). I needed to move the phone so I unplugged it to move it. After I unplugged it, I noticed that the battery percentage would drop 1% every 2 to 3 minutes, so about twice as fast as it did when it was plugged in. Thinking that maybe the "Not charging" indicator was being falsely flagged and it really was charging while powered on, after the set up was complete I left it plugged in for a couple of hours to see if it would charge .... but it didn't, so there was no change. Also, before I did a factory reset, I thought I'd try to let it charge for more than 8 hours (thinking that it was just slowing way down when it got close to 80% charged) - so I let it charge, powered off, for 24 hours. It still only reached 80%.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I am ot using a Motorola charger because I bought this phone used and it came with an LG charger. I know my phone is capable of Turbo charging, so I borrowed a Samsung Turbo Charger this morning to see if that helped. It still indicated "Not charging" while powered on and I didn't have time to test it long term to see if it would increase the percentage while on or make it past 80% while off. If I can get a Turbo Charger long term, I'll give that a try.

Is there any way I can go back to Marshmallow to see if this was the update that affected my phone?

There is no way to roll back - none supported by Motorola anyway. Rollback has a high occurence of bricks because they are unsupported, and you would have to seek this information elsewhere. 

I don't know if Samsung chargers use the same QC 2.0 technology or not, either. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 933
Message 14 of 29

Since it would be less expensive to try an OEM charger than to get a new/different phone, I started looking up chargers. Having no idea what I am looking for, I used your "QC 2.0" comment as a springboard to start. I am seeing 2.0 and 3.0 units available. Some with attached cables, others with USB type cables. The 2.0 and 3.0 units are nearly the same price - so will the Maxx 2 use either of these technologies?

After reading the reviews, the unit with the attached cable is getting bad reviews, so I am leaning more towards the USB units. Can you advise between these two and help me make a good decision?

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SPN5970A-TurboPower-SKN6461A-Packaging/dp/B071HYYB4P/ref=dp_ob_title...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1C9T6K?ref=emc_b_5_t

Thanks again!!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 931
Message 15 of 29

@RL67037wrote:

Since it would be less expensive to try an OEM charger than to get a new/different phone, I started looking up chargers. Having no idea what I am looking for, I used your "QC 2.0" comment as a springboard to start. I am seeing 2.0 and 3.0 units available. Some with attached cables, others with USB type cables. The 2.0 and 3.0 units are nearly the same price - so will the Maxx 2 use either of these technologies?

After reading the reviews, the unit with the attached cable is getting bad reviews, so I am leaning more towards the USB units. Can you advise between these two and help me make a good decision?

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SPN5970A-TurboPower-SKN6461A-Packaging/dp/B071HYYB4P/ref=dp_ob_title...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1C9T6K?ref=emc_b_5_t

Thanks again!!

I have both, and both work well. I don't know that i have a preference. I just don't know that this will fix your issue. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 928
Message 16 of 29

I agree with you that this won't help, but I have been reading several forums digging for an answer and on almost all of them the people in the know (such as you and Ella) will say to charge it with the OEM charger and cable. Maybe using the wrong charger/cable for the last 2 years has damaged my phone/battery? Not that the right charger will fix it since I would assume that once the damage is done it would irreversible, but for $15/$20 I can at least say that I tried it. I would expect that if I were doing damage to my phone with non OEM equipment that I would've seen a gradual decline and not such a stark change like this. That's why I am looking more at the software update and not a hardware failure. I just wonder why there is no one else having this problem except me. Very strange.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 925
Message 17 of 29

@RL67037wrote:

I agree with you that this won't help, but I have been reading several forums digging for an answer and on almost all of them the people in the know (such as you and Ella) will say to charge it with the OEM charger and cable. Maybe using the wrong charger/cable for the last 2 years has damaged my phone/battery? Not that the right charger will fix it since I would assume that once the damage is done it would irreversible, but for $15/$20 I can at least say that I tried it. I would expect that if I were doing damage to my phone with non OEM equipment that I would've seen a gradual decline and not such a stark change like this. That's why I am looking more at the software update and not a hardware failure. I just wonder why there is no one else having this problem except me. Very strange.

The official Motorola line is "use OEM charger" but the reality is that all phones have to support the USB specs - so any charger that confirms to the basic USB spec of 5V ~ 550ma should be fine. Also, more amps should be fine too as a phone will only draw what it can - just like plugging in a 1 amp appliance into your 15 amp circuit is safe. 

Personally I doubt any name brand proper spec piece of equipment could damage your phone unless that equipment was defective. But constant insert and removal of plugs could eventually damage the USB port - regardless of brand. 

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 822
Message 18 of 29

OK - so I opted for the QC 3.0 charger and as Alpha predicted, it did not change anything. But, on the plus side, I now have a quick charger for my phone if I can get the charging problem fixed.

I did some testing to see what kind of current is being drawn while charging when my phone is on and when it is off:

When powered OFF and plugged in, the max draw that I saw was 457 mA. At about 67% battery, the draw dropped to 425 mA and as the phone reached the end of the charging cycle, I would see the draw drop about 25 mA for every percentage it gained on the charge. At that rate, the charging would stop at about 84%, which is close to what I've been seeing - a max charge of around 80% - so it might stop actually charging at 100 mA or lower. Once the battery percentage increase stopped, the draw would fluctuate around 50 to 100 mA.

When powered ON and plugged in, the draw bounces between 50 and 100 mA when the phone is idle and the screen is off. But, when the screen comes on, the draw jumps to 457 mA again until the screen goes dark, at which time the draw drops back to between 50 and 100 mA.

So, this could mean I have a bad battery, that my battery needs to be recalibrated, I have a software issue or a combination of the three. But, before I go buy another battery, I'd like to reload the 7.1.1 software to see if the "not charging while powered on" can be fixed - is that possible? Again, I am no pro at how these phones work, but I assume that my OTA push of 7.1.1 has something similar to an executable command and that software is still on my phone somewhere? Can I go into one of the boot menus to re-run the load? I have read the battery calibration procedure supplied here https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device and one of the steps is to charge your phone while powered on and I think software is preventing me from being able to do that.

As usual, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RL

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 784
Message 19 of 29

Well, after discussing this charging problem that was caused by software with a couple of Motorola customer service reps over the last few weeks, I received this response from Motorola a couple of days ago:

Hi RL,

Greetings!

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. This has been brought to Motorola's attention and we are currently looking to releasing a new software to fix the issue. You will receive a notification on the phone when the update is available. You may also check our support forums https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Community/ct-p/MotorolaCommunity for the latest update.

Thank you for being a valued customer of Motorola and we do appreciate your time.

Warm regards,
Motorola Technical Support
Maricar

So, keep an eye on your Maxx 2 software and let's see if anyone gets an update anytime soon.

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 768
Message 20 of 29

So, for a little update, I have been conversing via email with Motorola Techs. I am now speaking with Rae and she is the first tech to ask for the IMEI number from the phone. To me, that's a positive sign that they are going to try to identify what software my particular phone received. I haven't heard back from her since I sent her the information (a couple of days ago), but I hope to hear from her soon.

Motorola has a policy of marking a complaint as "Solved" if they receive no response to a Tech's email after 72 hours. So, I have been responding every 72 hours, even if on;y to say the problem is not yet fixed, in order to keep the complaint from being marked as "Solved". I think this is causing this problem to receive more attention and it keeps getting passed to a higher level of Tech.

I'm not giving up!!

Take care - RL