Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chaks
Blue Screen Again
Views: 859
Message 1 of 28

Droid max 2 Charging issue

Droid max 2 shows the charging icon when plugged in but click on battery status and it says "not charging" but when I start my phone in Factory mode phone start charging.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 839
Message 2 of 28

Re: Droid max 2 Charging issue

Hi Chaks

Have you tried using a different charger? Please try charging your phone while in safe mode and see if there would be any difference. 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 688
Message 3 of 28

Hi Ella

I just upgraded to Nougat (7.1.1) on 2/14/2018 and I am now having charging issues. I am using the same cable and wall unit I have used for over a year. I have cleared the cache and put the phone in safe mode. Still can't charge the phone when it is turned on, yet it WILL charge when turned off. I am also having Bluetooth anomalies, but I'll address those under a different topic.

Any ideas?
RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 682
Message 4 of 28

Ella

UPDATE: Turned the phone off to charge over night and after 8 hours on the charger it only charged to 82%. Battery drain has also increased. Typically with the screen off and in my pocket, my phone will use about 5% per hour - this morning it dropped 10% in the first hour.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 673
Message 5 of 28

@RL67037wrote:
Ella

UPDATE: Turned the phone off to charge over night and after 8 hours on the charger it only charged to 82%. Battery drain has also increased. Typically with the screen off and in my pocket, my phone will use about 5% per hour - this morning it dropped 10% in the first hour.

Hi RL67037

It must be hard for you that the phone acts up but let me see what I can do. I would like to verify, how does the phone not charge while turned on? Are you not able to see the lightning bolt symbol? Do you encounter any error message? Please tell us more about it. 

Have you tried using a different wall charger? Please try calibrating the battery. This process will reset the battery table and allow the phone to calibrate overnight. To calibrate the battery, press and hold the Power button until the screen goes dark, about 7-10 seconds. When the screen goes dark, release the Power button and the phone will automatically reboot. Plug the phone in and let it charge overnight, using only the charger that came in the box with the phone. Observe the battery performance within 24 hours. Let me know how it goes. 

- Ella

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 660
Message 6 of 28

I'm not seeing any error messages when charging the phone while powered on. I do see the lightning bolt in the battery symbol and when I go into Settings to check the battery status, the status is shown as Not Charging. When I unplug the charger, the status just shows the percentage of the battery and the Not Charging goes away. I have left the charger connected for several hours while powered on and gain no percentage on the battery. I have tried two different wall charges and 2 USB cables. All 3 work when the phone is powered off and none of the 3 work when the phone is powered on.

I did the battery calibration like you suggested and it didn't work as the phone still won't take a charge while powered on.

I charged the phone while powered off last night and for the 1st hour the battery percentage didn't change (it was at 19% when I plugged it in). I just left it on the charger and it charged to 86% by this morning. It was on the charger for 7 1/2  hours. After I unplugged it, it dropped from 86% to 74% in about 5 minutes. Before the upgrade to Nougat, my phone would normally use about 5% to 7% per hour with normal use. But, after the initial "big" drop of battery percentage, the phone pretty much balances out and has a steady, normal drain throughout the day.

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 636
Message 7 of 28

Good morning Ella

Yesterday (2/22), I ran a test on how my battery charges. It had 57% battery when I turned it off to charge. After four hours on the charger (powered off), it was still indicating 57% charge. I would have let it go longer to see how long it took to actually start increasing the percentage, but I needed to use my phone so I stopped the test. After that, I went back to the internet to see if I could find anymore information.

Searcing the internet, I came across a method to calibrate the battery that included letting the battery completly drain, so I tried it. The method is described here: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device

After it drained to a point that it would not power up again, I plugged it in and let it charge over night again, powered off. Unlike what happened above, the battery percentage started to increase right away. After 2 hours of charging, it rose from 1% to 41%. But, unfortunatley, it still only charged to 84% by this morning and still will not charge when powered on.

I'd really like to find a fix that doesn't involve factory resetting the phone. I would hate to go through the hassle of doing that and not have it work. Are you finding anything on your end? I sent a message to Alpha Dog (a Moto XXPRT) but I haven't heard from him. Can you reach out to that person and see if they have any ideas?

Thanks - RL

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 633
Message 8 of 28

@RL67037wrote:

Good morning Ella

Yesterday (2/22), I ran a test on how my battery charges. It had 57% battery when I turned it off to charge. After four hours on the charger (powered off), it was still indicating 57% charge. I would have let it go longer to see how long it took to actually start increasing the percentage, but I needed to use my phone so I stopped the test. After that, I went back to the internet to see if I could find anymore information.

Searcing the internet, I came across a method to calibrate the battery that included letting the battery completly drain, so I tried it. The method is described here: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device

After it drained to a point that it would not power up again, I plugged it in and let it charge over night again, powered off. Unlike what happened above, the battery percentage started to increase right away. After 2 hours of charging, it rose from 1% to 41%. But, unfortunatley, it still only charged to 84% by this morning and still will not charge when powered on.

I'd really like to find a fix that doesn't involve factory resetting the phone. I would hate to go through the hassle of doing that and not have it work. Are you finding anything on your end? I sent a message to Alpha Dog (a Moto XXPRT) but I haven't heard from him. Can you reach out to that person and see if they have any ideas?

Thanks - RL

I don't know why you PM'd me 10 minutes ago - it looks like Ella is helping you. I am curious if you really have 7.1.1 as the articles say 7.0 was released for the Droid Maxx 2 and not 7.1

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 631
Message 9 of 28

I PM'd you to see if you have any other insight that maybe Ella hadn't thought about yet (2 brains are better than one). I meant no disrespect to Ella.

Here is a screen shot of my software level.Maxx 2 Software.png

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 626
Message 10 of 28

Sorry, I didn't mean you had to prove your version. I was just going by what i have read. I don't have  droid maxx. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum