cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Immunol
Paper Tape
Views: 1,146
Message 1 of 15

Maxx 2: Anyone update to Nougat (7.1.1)?

As a Droid Maxx 2 user Nougat v.7.1.1 has become available as an update. I've read about a lot of issues with Nougat and other phones and I was wondering if anyone has successfully updated to Nougat. I've searched the topic on this forum and across the web and haven't seen anything good, bad or ugly. Maybe no news is good news, but I'm curious as to how it has gone with others.

Immunol
Paper Tape
Views: 1,081
Message 2 of 15

Re: Maxx 2: Anyone update to Nougat (7.1.1)?

After receiving no replys over the last couple days, I took a great leap of faith and installed the update. 24 hours later I've had none of the problems users of other phones have reported. So far, so good. I'll report back if I experience any bugs.

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 1,043
Message 3 of 15

Just found this post today. I finally installed the Nougat update on 2/14. All was well at first and I liked the new look. Takes some getting used to some of the changes such as your "Apps" button in you task bar not being there anymore - you now have to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to see your apps. No biggie - I can be retrained.

But, today something weird happened. I plug my phone in at night and wake up to a fully charged phone. This morning (using the same charger and USB cable I've been using for over a year), my phone was at 53%. It now no longer charges while powered on - it only charges when powered off. I've cleared the cache with no changes. For days after the update, it would charge just fine over night. I thought it was odd on Sunday (2/18) when I unplugged it after an overnight charge, it was only at 95%. I plugged it back in and after a few minutes it went up to 100%. I didn't think much of it after that until this morning. Another anomaly is the Bluetooth. I have a smart watch and my Bluetooth indicator on the phone always had a tick mark to the left and right of the indicator showing that my watch and phone were connected. Those tic marks are now gone. When I go into the Settings app and look at Bluetooth, it is indicating "Disconnected" even though the Bluetooth switch is turned on. Looking at the devices that can connect, nothing shows that it is connected. When I tap on my watch to connect, it thinks for a bit and then nothing happens - nothing shows connected to the phone. Yet, I still get all the phone notifications on my watch - so it IS connected, it's just not showing that it is.

I've been searching all day to find answers to this, but there isn't much help that I can find. Let me know how your update went.
RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 1,041
Message 4 of 15

Also - starting the phone in Safe Mode doesn't help. The Battery icon has a lightning bolt in it but if you go to the Battery status under Settings, the status is shown as Not Charging.
RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 1,019
Message 5 of 15

UPDATE: Turned the phone off to charge over night and after 8 hours on the charger it only charged to 82%. Battery drain has also increased. Typically with the screen off and in my pocket, my phone will use about 5% per hour - this morning it dropped 10% in the first hour.
Immunol
Paper Tape
Views: 1,010
Message 6 of 15

RL - 

Sorry to hear of your problems with Nougat. My update went smoothly an all is functioning normally. The only thing that was a bit weird was that the update vaporized by texting app (Verizon Messages) and substituted Android Messenges, but it still works fine. Not a big issue because I'm looking for a new texting app anyway. I use Bluetooth with my hearing aids and it still works fine. No battery drain issues or charging problems.

I have noticed there are a fair number of Nougat troubleshooting websites for Android phones, though I couldn't find anything specific to the Maxx 2. People have mentioned charging problems, Bluetooth connectivity, etc., so maybe there is something out there that could help your situation. 

Here are a few that I looked at before I update (in case I had similar issues):

https://www.androidpit.com/android-nougat-problems-solutions

https://www.technobezz.com/common-android-7-0-nougat-problems-fix/

http://www.androiddata-recovery.com/blog/common-android-nougat-issues-and-fixes

I wish you well and hope you can find an acceptable solution.

Dobobo
Paper Tape
Views: 921
Message 7 of 15

The update to 7.1.1 was pushed on me about 2 weeks ago.  My phone worked very well up to that time.  Since then, both mine and my wife's phones have locked up overnight every 2 or 3 days.  It is necessary to turn the phones off and back on to utilize the phone.  I'm not fond of the new screen layout, but can live with it.  I haven't had any of the power/charging problems. 

Overall, not a great update and the locking up is a real pain as the phone still receives calls when the screen freezes but you can't answer them until you re-boot.

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 797
Message 8 of 15

Thanks Immunol and Dobobo for your updates on the Nougat push. I am glad to hear that Immunol's update went smoothly with the exception of the texting app. I, too, use Verizon Messaging for my text app and it made it through the update fine. I haven't experienced any freezing up/locking of my phone that Dobobo has had either. It's odd that we can all have the same phone and have such different experiences after a software update.

After struggling with this charging issue/increased battery drain for the past week or so, I broke down and did a complete factory reset ... and it did not help. Still will only charge to 80ish percent and won't charge while powered on. But, with it plugged in with the power on, there is almost no battery drain, so it is getting power when on and plugged in, just not enough to charge the battery. I messed with it yesterday while plugged in and did web surfing, some short video watching, texting and phone calls and kept the screen on for an hour and the battery percentage never dropped - not even 1%. I unplugged it and left it alone for an hour and the percentage dropped about 5% with nothing going on.

My next attempt at troubleshooting is getting an OEM charger/cable and see if that changes anything. If that doesn't work, I will replace the battery. If that doesn't work, the phone will probably volunteer itself to be a target for my shotgun ,,, and I will have a new battery up for sale.

Good luck peeps - I hope everything either keeps working well (Immunol) or straightens itself up for you (Dobobo).

RL

Immunol
Paper Tape
Views: 778
Message 9 of 15

RL - 

Have you tried recalibrating the battery meter? By that I mean run down the phone to 10%, then turn the phone off and recharge it as high as possible (100%?). Then do the same thing again. This could recalibrate the meter. It might mean that when it reads 80%, it is actually closer to 100%. I do this a couple times per year. 

Note, it's not cycling the battery, which is not needed. It's resetting the meter to properly measure battery %. Might be worth a try.

Immunol 

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 776
Message 10 of 15

Immunol

I tried that once but I don't think I did it correctly as I was doing the procedure from memory. I let the battery run down completely until it would not turn on. Then, with it powered off, I charged it until it wouldn't charge anymore - it was indicating about 80%. But, I didn't do that procedure twice, like what is recommended. Over the weekend, I plan to do Method 1 of this procedure https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device and see what happens, but there is a problem with that as my phone won't charge when powered on and that is one of the steps. I guess I'll just drain the battery a couple of times (maybe 3) and recharge it powered while off and see what happens.

I've been updating this post with my progress so far:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/DROID-MAXX-2-by-Motorola/Droid-max-2-Charging-issue/m-p/3994321/highlig...

Thanks for the thought - please keep throwing them out - I'm all ears!!

RL