Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MyS3lf
Paper Tape
Views: 410
Message 1 of 10

Nougat - No Go. I need help with SEVERAL issues or returning to Marshmallow

Finally, on Feb 9th, 2018 my Maxx 2 was updated to Nougat (7.1.1) from Marshmallow, just shy of a year after Nougat came out. I thought, "I have waited, they took their time, it's going to be great!"

I was so very, very wrong.

None of the following issues existed prior to the upgrade, most were noticed in the first half hour of use after the upgrade:

• Auto rotate is not fuctioning in any app, save one, the camera app. If it was not for the camera app I would have thought the tilt function (hardware) was not recognized or had failed. In the Camera app, and only in the camera app, I can turn the screen and the icons on the screen rotate exactly as you would expect them to. This means I have no scientific functions on the calculator, I must rotate pictures manually in the Gallery, etc.
  • Auto dimming/brightening of the screen no longer works. If it's turned on the screen dims to its lowest setting and stays there - daylight or dark room, useless.
  • The display no longer blacks out (locking phone) during call. If I put the phone up to my ear before pressing the power button to turn off the screen it changes to some other phone function and I can still hear "them" but "they" cannot hear me until I hit the back button to return to the current call and press the power button.
  • Frequent SD Card failure. Take a picture, edit a picture, try to listen to music, try to play a game - I am frequently kicked back to the desktop when files go missing.
  • Corruption of the files on the SD card. Files on the SC card which were fine yesterday are corrupted today. I was able to open/view/edit/send a picture, as a test. Now any attempt to open the picture kicks me out of the app, any app, immediately.
  • Frequent App Crashes. I can usually get between 45 seconds and four minutes of use out of any app I have tried before I am kicked out to the desktop. The only exception I have noticed is the phone app. I seem to be able to make calls for varying lengths of time without interruption.
  • 33% shorter battery life. Simply put I can, suddenly, no longer go two days between charges.

Just so we are clear, I tried a factory reset (in Android) and it made no difference. So I turned on "Developer Mode" and "OEM unlocking" and tried the following, also no affect:

• Powered off phone
  • Powered on phone while holding down VolumeDown.
  • Used VolumeDown to select Recovery.
  • Pressed PowerButton.
  • At next screen held down PowerButton and pressed VolumeUp briefly.
  • Wiped Cache partition
  • wiped data/factory reset

Any chance I can put Marshmallow back on this thing? I just want it to work like it did before the "upgrade".

MyS3lf
Paper Tape
Views: 360
Message 2 of 10

Re: Nougat - No Go. I need help with SEVERAL issues or returning to Marshmallow

43 views and counting, no replies. Not looking good.

hollyhaf9595
Paper Tape
Views: 353
Message 3 of 10

Hopefully someone that knows how to fix it sees this.  I am having EXACTLY the SAME problems you have just outlined.  Only I am now dropping calls when my sd card stops detecting...  It is SO frustrating!!!

I would love any info on how to switch back!

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 344
Message 4 of 10

All indications are we cannot return to Marshmallow. Also, no one has been ablt to "root" the Maxx 2 yet. I have posted in several places and I am currenlty in a conversation with a supposed Motorola CSR and they are no help either. Luckily, for Motorola, if you do not respond to their email within 72 hours, they mark your issue as "Solved". So, what that means is, after 2 weeks of hitting brick walls and being told "sorry, there is nothing we can do", and you're tired of fighting it, Motorola gets to mark your issue as "Solved " and their stats go up in their customer service column.

I am not having any of your problems except the battery life/charging problems. My batter drains a little faster (but not bad), but my biggest issue after Nougat is the phone will not charge while powered on and will only charge to 80% when powered off. Tried everything suggested and I belive it is a software issue - to which Motorola's standard answer is "sorry, we don't know when an update will be pushed to your phone". I don't want to go to Oreo, I just want a workable Nougat 7.1.1 ... and there is the aforementioned brick wall.

RL

MyS3lf
Paper Tape
Views: 326
Message 5 of 10

So, because Motorola does not give a s**t about their customers or their phones they can take everything smart out of a smartphone and if we don't like it, what? Are we really expected to buy a different MOTOROLA?!

Not happening.

Years ago, back in the Flip-Phone days I had a Motorola. There was a firmware update that caused problems with calls dropping and the phone not ringing reliably on incomming calls. My attempts to troubleshoot and resolve the issues all led to the same same conclusion - (hyperbole) "We have a variety of new phones with 'blah', 'blah' and 'blah', wouldn't you like to upgrade?"

The answer was and still is, "No, I just want the phone which was working just fine two weeks ago to work as well as it did, now."

Now I am going to try something...

Most of the time, on XDA, the reccomendation when installing a new rom is to do the upgrade with no connection, no sim card, no sd... etc. and when it is done just let it sit for several minutes. I'm going to try this in the hopes that I can get the phone running well enough to sell it for something and get a replacement - not a Motorola.

If Motorola cannot be loyal to their customers then there is no reason for customers to be loyal to Motorola - that is just the way it goes.

MyS3lf
Paper Tape
Views: 322
Message 6 of 10

No change.

Thanks Motorola.

Last Motorola phone EVER!

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 309
Message 7 of 10

Well, after discussing this charging problem that was caused by software with a couple of Motorola customer service reps over the last few weeks, I received this response from Motorola a couple of days ago:

Hi RL,

Greetings!

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. This has been brought to Motorola's attention and we are currently looking to releasing a new software to fix the issue. You will receive a notification on the phone when the update is available. You may also check our support forums https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Community/ct-p/MotorolaCommunity for the latest update.

Thank you for being a valued customer of Motorola and we do appreciate your time.

Warm regards,
Motorola Technical Support
Maricar

So, keep an eye on your Maxx 2 software and let's see if anyone gets an update anytime soon - maybe this update will help with the other problems that are happening as well.

MyS3lf
Paper Tape
Views: 306
Message 8 of 10

It took an extra year for us to get Nougat. Other companies encountered these same issues and nearly all of them overcame most, if not all, of them in that year.

What did Motorola learn from the mistakes of others? Nothing!

I am a little bitter about this, what I have right now has all the power of a flip phone (minus the camera) and it doesn't even fit in my pocket well.

I dare you to hold your breath until the patch is released,

Smiley Very Happy

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 301
Message 9 of 10

Hahaha!! I hear you!! Like you, I needed a phone that worked as advertised, so I moved over to a Nexus. I was looking at the Nexus 6 but when I saw that was a Motorola phone, I opted for the 6P to get away from the hassels I already have. I still have my Maxx 2 - and really, when it's working like it should, it's a great phone - and I will leave it powered on and connected to my wireless and see if / when the update comes in. I'll post back if it comes in in a time frame where I'll remember where all that I have posted 😉

RL67037
Punch Card
Views: 161
Message 10 of 10

I saw on another forum that a person had some luck by going here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-209216/ and using that tool. You might give it a try. It didn't work for me, but it might work for you.

Good luck.