Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdawg1
What's DOS?
Views: 22,364
Message 1 of 28

Stuck Restarting - Can't do recovery or reset

Recently (seems like for no reason) my phone started restarting continuously and won't boot. I have not installed anything new (to my knowledge) in the past week and had simply powered off the phone to charge it. 

Now, if I try to power on the phone or plug it in - it will continuously restart and won't boot. 

If I go into "safe mode" ? Or what seems to be called the AP Fastboot Flash Mode by holding the down volume key and power key, I get a menu where I can select recovery or factory reset but when I select either of these it says:

No valid PIV block in SP for system

piv validation failed (system)

boot up failed

Can't seem to connect it to my PC either...

Any help would be great !

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 28

Re: Stuck Restarting - Can't do recovery or reset

I searched the error you're getting, and it seems the only time it comes up is when trying to flash an alternate ROM, so I have to ask:  have you modded that phone in any way?

mdawg1
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 28

Hello there,

When I googled this error I seem to see the same sort of results. But I have never tried to mod / change the phone in any way beyond the normal means within the settings menu. I never have even accessed this menu before and did not try to flash any alternate ROM's. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 28

Thanks for answering.  I'm glad you see why I asked.

For your future information (one way or another, you do have a phone future), safe mode prevents third party apps from launching.  When the phone is misbehaving, it's a diagnostic tool to see if the problem is being caused by a third party app.  You'd get to it by hitting the power button, and when the Power Off window appears on your screen, you'd touch and hold Power Off until you see the Safe Mode window appear.  Touch OK, and the phone will reboot into safe mode.  To get out of safe made, you just reboot the phone.

There are others a lot smarter than I am in this forum, and hopefully, they'll chime in.  Right now, to me it seems that the phone needs to be repaired or replaced.  You must decide for yourself whether you want the same phone fixed and returned, or if you'll take a CLNR (certified like new replacement).  The quality of CLNRs can't be relied upon, so many prefer to use an old phone kept as a backup while the phone they have is repaired, if that's an option for you.

As to why it happened: was there a power surge?  Did the phone get wet?  Dropped?  Have you ever installed an app that you didn't get at the Play store?  Anything?  Repeatedly drain the battery (a stretch, I know)?

mdawg1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 28

I can't boot the phone up to even get into safe mode. I never had any problems until last night when it said low battery and I powered off to charge it overnight. Then it wasn't able to boot. 

In the fastboot menu I see "battery OK" in green so I figured it wasn't a battery issue. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 28

Was there a power surge?  Or any type of damage to the phone?

mdawg1
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 28

Not that I know if - is it possible that all of this is because of the battery ?

I'm familiar with developing for the Android platform so I have been trying to debug this with the Android SDK and was even trying to "boot" into a recovery version supplied by google - but I'm not able to do anything at all. Seems strange that a battery would cause all these issues. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 8 of 28

If you can see that it says "battery ok" then probably not.  But a power outage, lightning strike, water damage...all of that could cause serious damage.

Alissa-1
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 28

Any news? What happened to the phone?

joshisagoodman
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 28

Wow - this just happened to me - Moto X, VZ.  'No valid PIV block in SP for system'.  Have no idea what this is, all I did was reboot my phone this morning.  Not a rooted phone.  WTF?  Moto will send me a new replacement phone at no cost, which is cool, but what about my data?  I can't mount the phone as USB or perform a Recovery or Factory reset.. so I think I have a new paperweight Smiley Sad  This is absolutely awful.