Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kblado7609
What's DOS?
Views: 945
Message 1 of 24

Droid Pro keyboard backlight not working properly after upgrading to 2.3.3

After upgrading to Android 2.3.3, the backlight for my keyboard doesnt work properly.  The light will no longer come on in the dark automatically.  It will, however, come on for a short time if I cover the top part of the phone.  The sensor also seems to be working backwards as the backlight will come on if I tilt the phone towards a little bit of light.  This has become a very annoying inconvenience.  Anyone else with the same problem or know of any fixes?

Thank you

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 24

Re: Droid Pro keyboard backlight not working properly after upgrading to 2.3.3

kblado7609 wrote:

After upgrading to Android 2.3.3, the backlight for my keyboard doesnt work properly.  The light will no longer come on in the dark automatically.  It will, however, come on for a short time if I cover the top part of the phone.  The sensor also seems to be working backwards as the backlight will come on if I tilt the phone towards a little bit of light.  This has become a very annoying inconvenience.  Anyone else with the same problem or know of any fixes?

Thank you

Hello kblado7609 and welcome to the Motorola Android support forum for the Droid Pro (I see it's your first post).  I recommend you power down your phone, remove the battery for at least one full minute, reinstall the battery, power backup and then retest your phone.  When you cover up the light sensor on your phone with your index finger, for example, your backlighting should illuminate.  When you remove your finger *if* the ambient light in the room or location you are at is of sufficient lux (brightness), you should see the backlighting turn off.  Please leave feedback to the forum on your findings.   Thanks.   --- Dan

rbtnt
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 24

Same problem with my Pro after the upgrade.  Keyboard does not light up in total darkness.  If you point it at a little bit of light it will light up.  I had to replace my phone this past week with a new one and it does the same thing.

bodnars
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 24

Exactly the same problem, both my wife and I have this phone and after the upgrade this problem started.  Dan's advice is *so* helpful though (NOT).  Seriously Dan?  If we've found found our way to this forum, we're sophisticated enough to know to do a full battery removal re-start.  It's clearly a software bug since the problem started for both of us immediately following the last update. 

noworries
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 24

I have the exact problem.  I love how all customer service or answers these days are restart, or pull the battery, or do  a power down.  Seriously?  It's the first thing we try.  I haven't been able to find a fix.  I agree w/bodnars.  Software bug that needs to be fixed.  In the meantime, a double tap on the home button to bring up the voice command, turns the keyboard light on and I quickly hit the back button and I'm good.  Not what I would expect to have to do with a powerful "Droid", but I guess it will do until there is a software update fix.

bpwfc1948
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 24

Same Problem. 

Sevill
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 24

I have the same problem and I was hoping the issue would be answered already. This is an obvious problem with the last update as I have to aim the phone at light to get the back light to turn on. In addition to this the social networking widget keeps force closing. I just wanted to add that in to see if it is happening with anyone else that is having the backlight issue. I hope that this question can be answered with someone from Motorola that has actually fixed the problem that is being talked about.

If this stuff keeps happening, I will be disappointed. I love the keyboard and I love the Android system but lack of solutions to these problems may have me look elsewhere. I have also considered rooting my phone as there are apps in the market that will allow you to control the backlight.

kblado7609
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 24

That backlight app for the rooted phone doesnt work either.  I am so frustrated with this glitch

kblado7609
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 24

Dan, do you happen to have any other ideas?  This is obviously a software glitch, any chance it will be fixed soon?

kiwimalayalee
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 24

i have the similar problem, tried the pull battery, wait and startup... no help with that....