Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rafeee2
What's DOS?
Views: 1,195
Message 1 of 31

No data connection abroad!

So I got my Pro unlocked and now I'm using it in Kuwait on a Kuwaiti SIM card, but for some reason I cannot enable the data connection. I'm using the same APN settings that my wife's using on her factory unlocked Defy (bought from the UK), and her Defy's working fine. How can I solve this?

And by the way, in the APNs screen there's an icon beside the APN name showing an unlocked lock with a question mark inside! What's that supposed to mean?

zachattack112
Token Ring
Message 2 of 31

Re: No data connection abroad!

You need a Vodafone SIM card

michaelk1
Token Ring
Message 3 of 31

so data only works on verizon in US or with vodafone outside the US? Even if it's sim unlocked?

zachattack112
Token Ring
Message 4 of 31

What do you mean by the SIM being unlocked?

I was pretty sure that you can only use a Vodafone SIM card, but I could be wrong

rafeee2
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 31

SIM unlocked means that you can use any SIM card outside the US. It's a process that involves putting a non-Verizon SIM card into the phone and entering the "unlock code" when prompted.

All that went smoothly for me. I'm using the SIM of some provider called ZAIN in Kuwait. I can make & receive calls and SMS normally, but no data so far although the phone has the 2100 band that the network is using for its 3G connection!

zachattack112
Token Ring
Message 6 of 31

Oh wow! I was confused for a moment. I was thinking about unlocking your SIM and using a U.S. carrier other than Verizon (which you have to do something that voids your warranty)

And I think you should go to that carrier's store and talk to them about it

zachattack112
Token Ring
Message 7 of 31

That's embarrassing

rafeee2
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 31

-Removing directions to hidden menus on your phone. Modifying setting through these menus is considered hacking to use on your service providers network in ways other than intended. Kindly read the house rules.

Message was edited by: Mark (Forums Manager)

As this is a global phone, am I not supposed to get all radio bands?

I'm not happy!

zachattack112
Token Ring
Message 9 of 31

There are some limitations to reception when it comes to this phone. Some SIM cards aren't fully compatible, others not at all. And maybe ZAIN doesn't have 3G coverage

rafeee2
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 31

I get 3G coverage with my other phone (Samsung Spica) and my wife's phone (Motorola Defy), both officially unlocked, using the same APN settings.