Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

27 Posts

09-29-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 31 of 39

Re: Annoying popping sound with KK

2014-06-04, 12:04 PM

c4400 said:

I'm 99% convinced the sound is a microsecond vibration. My phone has been doing it all night tonight randomly for no reason at all not even tied to any notifications or events, & I will put my ear up to the back of the phone and cover the speaker, and uncover, hearing it each time and sounds exactly the same time. It's definitely vibrating ever so shortly that you can't even feel it bit you can hear it.View original

I doubt that it's vibration. When I "hear" it, I have the phone in my hand and there is no vibration what-so-ever. Another developer, who develops Cyanogenmod ROMs, stated the following to me:

The popping noise may not be too apparent on some devices. Every component has some tolerance, e.g. capacitors of the same nominal value don't have the exact same capacity. So the popping noise may be very subtle on some devices, while it can be rather prominent on other ones. Also, some people are less sensitive to particular sounds.

Here is the commit to AOSP source that he did to fix this issue:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_motorola_msm8960-common/commit/1212f2e043341016cacd6b0d93435380750bd78e

His fix is to increase the sleep time after lineout PA enable.

He provided a flashable boot.img file with this fix compiled in and as I stated, it fixed the issue. No more popping noise. I guess that's all Motorola needs to do to fix it.

If you have an unlocked bootloader, you can get the flashable image here:

http://d-h.st/vre

Options

2 Posts

06-01-2014

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 32 of 39

2014-06-04, 13:04 PM

The fix seems consistent with the behavior -- if you force the phone to
make a sound soon after the pop, you don't hear another pop. You
essentially catch the speaker again before it is disabled, preventing the
second pop. The variability between phones makes sense also, given that a
speaker is an analog component.
Options

5 Posts

08-19-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 33 of 39

2014-08-19, 15:21 PM

I'm having the same annoying popping sound issue after 4.4.2 update. This occurred on a replacement phone from Verizon also so it's definitely caused by the update. Hard reset or safe mode make no difference.

System v 183.46.10.XT907.Verizon.en.US

Android v 4.4.2

Kernel v 3.4.42-g5170b6b

Build #  KDA20.62-10.1

Options

4 Posts

11-20-2014

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 34 of 39

2014-11-20, 5:34 AM

Open "Developer Options" and try turning off "Enable Bluetooth HCI snoop log".  

I did this and the popping stopped.  

HCI (Host Controller Interface) is ON by default.  HCI is really hard to understand, and explain.  But from how I do understand it, when information is transferred via bluetooth (be it audio, files, whatever), the HCI captures and logs that information in order to help expose inconsistencies.  It might be that the "popping" we are hearing in the audio is, in fact, the HCI at work.  

Another thing you can try is turning off GPS.  With all of the wireless signals coming in and out of a phone it is isn't off-base to assume that they might be crossing paths and inciting anomalies.  

I hope this works for you.  It did for me.  

Options

4 Posts

05-30-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 35 of 39

2014-12-12, 16:11 PM

It's been SEVEN months, Motorola! Still no software update released to fix these annoying issues. None of the "try this, try that" stuff is resolving anything.

What say you?

Options

3 Posts

12-03-2014

India

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 36 of 39

2014-12-14, 17:29 PM

Hi, there's a similar thread on the Non-US Motorola phones/Google android (non-us)/Razr HD section on this forum, still no answer yet. Don't know if it helps but it seems that other Razr HD versions (the XT925) also have the popping sound.

As others have said both here and on the non-US thread, the pop began immediatly after the 4.4.2 update. Every time a sound start I hear a pop, just at the beginning but not during or after the sound, and as someone said if I pause a song, wait 3 secs and play it again, there's the pop again. Same is with notifications, at the begining of typing (typing sound on). It doesn't matter the volume level, it seems to be related to the speaker turning on or something like that.

Perhaps it is "batch related" so no all phones have the issue, I hope it can be resolved via software update.

Options

5 Posts

11-11-2014

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 37 of 39

2014-12-16, 15:57 PM

I bought a Razr Maxx HD from an ebay vendor. It clicked and popped exactly as described in this thread from the start, on the beginning of any sound made more than 4 seconds from a previous sound, but not on sounds made with less than 4 second between. I tried for almost a month, every combination of settings and all of the advise i could find to prevent it, and nothing worked to change the behavior.

The test I used was to go into volumes, and alter the volume on notifications with the "droid" ringtone selected. If I waited 4 seconds or more, then changed it, it would click, then only reproduce 1/2 to 3/4 of the "droid" sound... if i waited less than 4 seconds, it was fine. rebooting the phone would sometimes make this not happen, but after a day of use, it was right back.

I did so many factory resets and wipes, that i knew what i had to put back by heart... i did these without allowing the automatic reinstall of any apps, and used the phone "nothing but stock" (i.e. no apps) for days ..and it still did it.

The ebay vendor was kind enough to warranty the phone, sent me another one(in advance.. i had to leave a deposit.. but i wanted to compare), I compared the hardware and software versions and they were both identical. The new phone is fine.. no pops.. at all. My assumption from this is that there may just have been a batch of these made that were succeptible to the issue once updated, and that my phone was one of those. I did not own it before it was updated.. so can not add to that part.

My advice..from my experience... I stressed a lot and spent HOURS on this... just accept it.. you got one of the phones "that does this".. it stinks.. but it is irreparable either replace it, or live with it. 

Here is my model info (same on both)

System v 183.46.15.XT926.Verizon.en.US

Model Droid Razr Maxx HD

Android v 4.4.2

Kernel v 3.4.42-g3841824

Build #  KDA20.62-15.1

Options

150 Posts

05-23-2014

27 Signins

745 Page Views

• Message 38 of 39

2014-12-16, 16:00 PM
Honestly, I think this topic is dead, and they were not do another release
for this phone.. its too old
Options

5 Posts

11-11-2014

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 39 of 39

2014-12-16, 16:49 PM

I think you are correct...

I was just trying to save others searching the internet for a fix from wasting the hours that I did trying to fix something that is irreparable for the average user using the stock os on an un-hacked phone.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms