Options

4 Posts

01-08-2017

US

2 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 1 of 8

Verizon Moto Razr HD XT926 - flash firmware without data loss?

2017-01-08, 1:33 AM

Hello everyone! My girlfriend's phone, the Motorola Razr HD XT926 is currently having issues booting. The phone hangs on the android red eye screen and never boots to the OS. The main problem is holding the power button plus volume up or volume down or volume up and down does absolutely nothing, so I cannot get into recovery mode to clear cache or attempt to fix the boot loop otherwise.

When plugged into a PC the small partition with the Motorola Device Manager executable shows up, but when it is run it claims there is no internet connection. So I downloaded the device manager from Motorola, and when installing drivers the MTP driver fails. All other drivers install correctly, but the phone does not show up, other than the partition with MDM on it. Since the phone cannot get into the OS, I assume this is why it never shows up on the computer.

So I have researched a lot on the subject, and without being able to get into Recovery Mode, most of my options are impossible.

I have read about various programs that will flash the firmware to get rid of the boot loop, but there are photos on the phone that I would like to be able to recover, so I am hoping there is an option to flash firmware without wiping data. I had backed up some of the phone's photos, but there are quite a few she has taken since my last backup, and she has not been backing up data to the cloud so that option is out.

Any of you super users know a way I can get the phone to at least show up on the computer so I can download the pictures? That is all we care about at this point as Verizon gave her a new phone (Moto Droid Turbo) for free, so saving the phone is not a requirement.

We have a limited amount of time before we have to send this phone back to Verizon for the exchange, and I am hoping I can get the photos off in the next couple days.

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

Options

28304 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Verizon Moto Razr HD XT926 - flash firmware without data loss?

2017-01-08, 13:43 PM

wrote:

Hello everyone! My girlfriend's phone, the Motorola Razr HD XT926 is currently having issues booting. The phone hangs on the android red eye screen and never boots to the OS. The main problem is holding the power button plus volume up or volume down or volume up and down does absolutely nothing, so I cannot get into recovery mode to clear cache or attempt to fix the boot loop otherwise.

When plugged into a PC the small partition with the Motorola Device Manager executable shows up, but when it is run it claims there is no internet connection. So I downloaded the device manager from Motorola, and when installing drivers the MTP driver fails. All other drivers install correctly, but the phone does not show up, other than the partition with MDM on it. Since the phone cannot get into the OS, I assume this is why it never shows up on the computer.

So I have researched a lot on the subject, and without being able to get into Recovery Mode, most of my options are impossible.

I have read about various programs that will flash the firmware to get rid of the boot loop, but there are photos on the phone that I would like to be able to recover, so I am hoping there is an option to flash firmware without wiping data. I had backed up some of the phone's photos, but there are quite a few she has taken since my last backup, and she has not been backing up data to the cloud so that option is out.

Any of you super users know a way I can get the phone to at least show up on the computer so I can download the pictures? That is all we care about at this point as Verizon gave her a new phone (Moto Droid Turbo) for free, so saving the phone is not a requirement.

We have a limited amount of time before we have to send this phone back to Verizon for the exchange, and I am hoping I can get the photos off in the next couple days.

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

We cant help with flashing on these forums as they are for stock phones only. There is the Verizon software upgrade assistant, but that will wipe your phone if it works. 

If developer options were enabled, adb might be an option, but your phone isn't booting far enough to use adb either. 

If you cant get the phone into recovery mode and it won't boot, there are no surprise solutions. Sorry. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

4 Posts

01-08-2017

US

2 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2017-01-08, 19:20 PM

Well, it is a stock phone, and I was planning on flashing the stock firmware since I have read that the data may be able to be saved if using the same firmware currently on the phone. I'm not looking to modify anything, just get it to boot and stable enough that I can pull the photos off before sending it back to Verizon. The interesting thing is the phone shows up during the boot cycle of the PC as long as I have legacy USB storage support enabled in the PC bios. This leads me to believe that the phone may actually show up in Windows if the MTP drivers weren't botched by Motorola to begin with. Apparently this is a fairly common issue, both the 'red eye of death' and the screwed up MTP drivers.

So I have another question now. If I were to pull the phone apart, is there any way to bypass the power button to cut the connection to the battery and simulate a hard reboot, i.e. pulling the battery? I am thinking a hard reboot may clear the cache and allow the OS to boot without any prior information mucking up the boot process. Is this possible? I am very good with electronics, and am comfortable doing this without screwing anything up hardware wise, but I don't have schematics or anything to point me in the right direction.

I have read pretty much every other 'red eye of death' thread on the entire internet and it is looking like Motorola had a major problem with these models, which is sad because she probably would have kept it a few more years had this not happened.

Options

28304 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2017-01-08, 19:34 PM

With the phone on, holding the power button until phone pwers off and restarts is supposed to be the equivalent of a battery pull. 

As for self serve hardware fixes - you will have to ask elsewhere. Motorola official response is to take into service center. There are no guides here for hardware service.  

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

4 Posts

01-08-2017

US

2 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2017-01-08, 20:06 PM

Well therein lies the problem, holding the power button does absolutely nothing. Any combination of power button plus volume button does nothing, so that idea is a bust.

I am attempting to get someone to help on the android central forums, but we shall see if they have any ideas or if anyone ever responds.

Any idea if a Motorola Support Tech might be able to access the memory without the OS working? I'd be willing to pay a fee if it wasn't outrageous, as getting these photos back would be nice. She would have backed them up on the cloud, but Verizon's data plans suck for monthly allowance, and eating up all her bandwidth with backups was killing her 2GB a month when she first got the phone. There has to be some way to access the internal memory without ever booting the OS, it's just a nand chip after all.

Options

28304 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2017-01-08, 20:08 PM

I dont think Motorola offers any data recovery service. Repairs are usually preceded by a reset. But you can contact customer care and ask. 

Options

28304 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2017-01-08, 20:11 PM

I used to work in nand flash storage industry.  It is much harder to recover data from solid state storage, as the data is not stored sequentially as it is on a hard drive.  Besides file system data, you need the map/List from the nand controller as it knows how the cells are linked.  

Options

4 Posts

01-08-2017

US

2 Signins

77 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2017-01-08, 20:25 PM

Ah, I understand what you are saying, accessing the data should be possible but without the bit mapping from the nand controller there is no way to tell where the bits are linked to produce the files. Hmmmmm...

I will contact customer care and see if they have anything to offer. If not, I may be able to unlock the bootloader, thereby deleting the user partition data (which I am trying to save), custom boot, and use a recovery program to pull the entire memory block that was deleted. I really have nothing to lose if Customer Care does not have a data recovery service. If the OS cannot be accessed and there is no way to load firmware without deleting the user data then the photos are lost anyway, so a recovery program might get some of them back at any rate.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete