Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jntdroid
What's DOS?
Views: 364
Message 21 of 31

Re: 4G to 3G and back...

I had an interesting situation today.  Drove through a section of highway where 4G signal was very weak.  Decided to stop in a parking lot to test something.  

I gripped the phone in my left hand as usual, watched it drop to 3G.  Set the phone down, within 10-15 seconds it was back to weak 4G.  I repeated this 4 or 5 times until it "stuck" in 3G for a good 10 minutes, apparently until I got closer to a tower.  

The good part is that it switched so seamlessly and quickly.  The bad part is the attenuation clearly had an affect.  All phones experience it to some extent, but this one seems to be strongly affected.

I have a new gel/rubber-ish case that covers more of the frame than my hardshell case that just kinda "hugs" the frame..  I'm going to try it out later and see if that makes any more of a difference. 

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 22 of 31

Meinrad said:

Full weekend of use, only a few issues.  Dropped wifi once even though I was 15' from the router.  Went to the Steeler game and had a solid 4g signal but couldn't load any data.  I was hoping that moving to 4g would help with that as I always had trouble with data at the stadium.  After letting it sit for a while trying to load it switched to 3g and loaded pages just fine.  Not sure what, if anything that has to do with the phone, just an observation.

I also compared my signal to that of my friends Droid 4.  We both had about -85 with out phones sitting on the table.  When picked up his went to -90 and mine to -95.  So a bit of difference there but not too siginificant.  What I"m finding is that while I still think there are issues, they are probaby issues that plague all phones to one degree or the other. 

I didn't get a chance to grab a water pipe, that is still coming.  

View original

Thanks.   --- Dan

Meinrad
What's DOS?
Message 23 of 31

Grabbed that pipe, no change at all.  It's a good ground, our well intake.  

Lot's a left hand/right hand/ table/direction tests.  I'm getting a good handle on how I use it and what gives it issues. 

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 24 of 31

Meinrad said:

Grabbed that pipe, no change at all.  It's a good ground, our well intake.  

Lot's a left hand/right hand/ table/direction tests.  I'm getting a good handle on how I use it and what gives it issues. 

View original

Thank you for taking the time to run this test.  I wanted to see if there was any spurious RF emanating from the phone that a good ground would address, apparently not.    --- Dan

klopus1
What's DOS?
Message 25 of 31

I posted similar concerns about my Razr M getting stuck in 3G until I flip Airplane mode or reboot and, suprise, got rather detailed but unconvincing response from the Verizon rep. Here it goes:

"Aside from this I hope you're thoroughly enjoying your Razr M!  Technically speaking at this time this is considered normal and I will be delighted to explain why.

When a hand off from LTE to 3g occurs it's seemless but the direction is only one way. The same data connections can't go back to LTE from 3g. The remedy is to stop the data connections completely and then you will reconnect to LTE.  This is why airplane mode has been working for you.

This is the way of the technology at this time and as mentioned there may be third party applications that disable your data connections long enough to jump back to LTE without having to use airplane mode.
"

And here's my response:

Hey, Melissa, wow, thanks for taking time to put a detailed answer. It's quite rare for the carrier reps to answer on forums, I wasn't expecting it.

I can't say though that your answer is convincing to me. According to your explanation if the LTE phone ever falls to 3G it can't get back until all current data connections are terminated or reset. But sometimes my Razr M falls to 3G or even 2G but then in a stronger signal area happily recovers back to 4G without me doing anything special, same apps that may have data connections still in running.

Also if your theory was totally true then it would affect all LTE phones, wouldn't it? My coworker to the left has Verizon Samsung Galaxy III and my coworker to the right has Verizon iPhone5. In the place facing the window where we sit (Midtown Manhattan) LTE signal is quite good (3-4 bars) and all 3 phones normally show 4G. In the kitchen and restrooms which are deep inside the building there's at best weak 3G which affects all phones. But I'm the only one still having 3G permanently when I come back from the kitchen or the restroom. My neighbors Samsung and iPhone5 switch back to 4G after few minutes. I'm usually permanently stuck in 3G unless I flip Airplane mode or reboot. Today for example Airplane flip didn't help and even re-boot also. I had to reset the phone to get it back to 4G!

Hopefully you can see both of my points and understand why I'm still skeptical.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 26 of 31

klopus said:

I posted similar concerns about my Razr M getting stuck in 3G until I flip Airplane mode or reboot and, suprise, got rather detailed but unconvincing response from the Verizon rep. Here it goes:

"Aside from this I hope you're thoroughly enjoying your Razr M!  Technically speaking at this time this is considered normal and I will be delighted to explain why.

When a hand off from LTE to 3g occurs it's seemless but the direction is only one way. The same data connections can't go back to LTE from 3g. The remedy is to stop the data connections completely and then you will reconnect to LTE.  This is why airplane mode has been working for you.

This is the way of the technology at this time and as mentioned there may be third party applications that disable your data connections long enough to jump back to LTE without having to use airplane mode.
"

And here's my response:

Hey, Melissa, wow, thanks for taking time to put a detailed answer. It's quite rare for the carrier reps to answer on forums, I wasn't expecting it.

I can't say though that your answer is convincing to me. According to your explanation if the LTE phone ever falls to 3G it can't get back until all current data connections are terminated or reset. But sometimes my Razr M falls to 3G or even 2G but then in a stronger signal area happily recovers back to 4G without me doing anything special, same apps that may have data connections still in running.

Also if your theory was totally true then it would affect all LTE phones, wouldn't it? My coworker to the left has Verizon Samsung Galaxy III and my coworker to the right has Verizon iPhone5. In the place facing the window where we sit (Midtown Manhattan) LTE signal is quite good (3-4 bars) and all 3 phones normally show 4G. In the kitchen and restrooms which are deep inside the building there's at best weak 3G which affects all phones. But I'm the only one still having 3G permanently when I come back from the kitchen or the restroom. My neighbors Samsung and iPhone5 switch back to 4G after few minutes. I'm usually permanently stuck in 3G unless I flip Airplane mode or reboot. Today for example Airplane flip didn't help and even re-boot also. I had to reset the phone to get it back to 4G!

Hopefully you can see both of my points and understand why I'm still skeptical.

View original

I don't know if you have tried this with your phone or not, but here's a suggestion.  Put your phone into airplane mode and leave it in airplane mode.  Power down your phone while in airplane mode, power up the phone and wait until all the initialization processes (and any apps loading) have completed after booting and then turn off airplane mode on your phone.  Please let us know if this affects the 4G signal acquisition and the 4G/3G hand off process.   --- Dan

jntdroid
What's DOS?
Message 27 of 31

Dan would that be something that would potentially help long term, or just a one-time solution?

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 28 of 31

jntdroid said:

Dan would that be something that would potentially help long term, or just a one-time solution?

View original

I don't know if it will work on the M, but it did work on another Motorola device.  It should continue to work until your phone is powered down in the "normal" means.     --- Dan

jntdroid
What's DOS?
Message 29 of 31

Do I need to be able to grab 4G in doing that?  Because I can't in my building, like klopus.

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 30 of 31

jntdroid said:

Do I need to be able to grab 4G in doing that?  Because I can't in my building, like klopus.

View original

I don't think so if it's working as I have seen described.  You can try both ways, I would be very interested to know whatever results you discover.    --- Dan