Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Highlighted
What's DOS?
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎12-16-2009
Location: United States
Message 1 of 87 (78 Views)

4g Network Connection

I put my Droid Razr sim into the M and activated it without incident but the M has not been able to hold a 4g signal for the past 2 1/2 hours that I have been setting up email accounts, downloading apps etc. I shut down the phone removed and reseated the sim and turned the M back and brought to the hard reset screen. I chose the option to reboot. After the reboot I briefly had a 4g signal and then it dropped to 3g again.


Using my Razr I never have a problem at home getting and keeping a 4g signal. Is anyone else having this problem?

802.11n
Posts: 1,812
Registered: ‎06-03-2015
Location: USA
Message 2 of 87 (78 Views)

Re: 4g Network Connection


I notice mine definately spends more time on 3G than my Razr Maxx.

Token Ring
Posts: 463
Registered: ‎11-08-2010
Location: United States
Message 3 of 87 (78 Views)

Re: 4g Network Connection


mine also seems to get "less bars" of 4g then my 2 sons' RAZR's.  Frequently they have 4G service but my M is falling back to 3G.  This happens when we're all in my living room- so it's not the uncertainties of driving in a car or anything like that. 

What's DOS?
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎06-13-2012
Location: United States
Message 4 of 87 (78 Views)

Re: 4g Network Connection


My phone as well has been experiencing this problem. But in my house more then anywhere else.

Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 4,613
Registered: ‎03-15-2011
Location: United States
Message 5 of 87 (78 Views)

Re: 4g Network Connection


It may have a lot to do with where you live... the RAZR M is smaller that the RAZR and RAZR MAXX. It may have smaller/differently placed LTE antennas (or only one as opposed to two). I can't remember the layout... but with the more compact design it makes sense.



I cannot compare as this is my first Verizon phone, but it seems to be on par with or better than my AT&T LTE device in terms of where it is finding service.

What's DOS?
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎12-16-2009
Location: United States
Message 6 of 87 (78 Views)

Re: 4g Network Connection



mk1151 said:


It may have a lot to do with where you live... the RAZR M is smaller that the RAZR and RAZR MAXX. It may have smaller/differently placed LTE antennas (or only one as opposed to two). I can't remember the layout... but with the more compact design it makes sense.



I cannot compare as this is my first Verizon phone, but it seems to be on par with or better than my AT&T LTE device in terms of where it is finding service.


View original


I have to disagree. If a company designs a product to perform a certain function regardless of size or shape the item should be tested before release to be sure it indeed does what it is supposed to.



This problem exsisted for Bionic owners when the phone was released , I returned mine so I don't know if updates improved the problem, it also happened when the Droid Razr was released but subsequent updates improved the problem greatly. It would seem to me that the M should either have had an improved radio/antenna/etc or the software updates needed to get it to make and hold a 4G connection out of the box when in areas that have a strong 4G signal such as where I live.



This problem on yet another newly released phone will just create another group of angry Moto owners who expect their devices to work as advertised out of the box without having to wait for updates to rollout, especially when the it is a repeat problem that should have been solved before the release of another device.



When I put my Razr sim back into my Razr I got and kept a strong signal so we know the problem is not with my card but rather the phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 4,613
Registered: ‎03-15-2011
Location: United States
Message 7 of 87 (78 Views)

Re: 4g Network Connection


I just pulled up the FCC filings for the RAZR M, RAZR HD, and RAZR. The placement of the LTE antennas are completely different.



In the RAZR M, the antenna is on the top right of the unit, in the RAZR HD and RAZR it is on the bottom near the main antenna. The LTE antennas are also a different shape. This means that in fringe areas or weaker service zones for LTE, depending on the location of the tower in proximity to your head, hands, and body, it is entirely likely that the strength and frequency of LTE service will vary by phone.



You cannot compare them, and the physical design of the phone does make a difference. In a strong service area (NYC for example), LTE may be more readily available, as opposed to Long Island and New Jersey.



ETA: It is possible that an updated radio driver will make a difference, but it won't affect the phones reception of LTE service. It would only affect the stickiness, tolerance of minimal signal, and hysteresis algorithm for hopping between LTE and 3G.





 

What's DOS?
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎12-16-2009
Location: United States
Message 8 of 87 (78 Views)

Re: 4g Network Connection



mk1151 said:


I just pulled up the FCC filings for the RAZR M, RAZR HD, and RAZR. The placement of the LTE antennas are completely different.


In the RAZR M, the antenna is on the top right of the unit, in the RAZR HD and RAZR it is on the bottom near the main antenna. The LTE antennas are also a different shape. This means that in fringe areas or weaker service zones for LTE, depending on the location of the tower in proximity to your head, hands, and body, it is entirely likely that the strength and frequency of LTE service will vary by phone.



You cannot compare them, and the physical design of the phone does make a difference. In a strong service area (NYC for example), LTE may be more readily available, as opposed to Long Island and New Jersey.



ETA: It is possible that an updated radio driver will make a difference, but it won't affect the phones reception of LTE service. It would only affect the stickiness, tolerance of minimal signal, and hysteresis algorithm for hopping between LTE and 3G.





 


View original


My apoligies, I was not disagreeing with your theory but only that it sounded as if that was an acceptable excuse for the poor performance which it is not.



I love my Droid Razr with my only complaint being poor battery performance In my opinion the M does not hold a candle to my Razr and I guess that I along with many others expect the new latestest and greatest devices to outperform their predecessors.

802.11n
Posts: 1,812
Registered: ‎06-03-2015
Location: USA
Message 9 of 87 (78 Views)

Re: 4g Network Connection



aviedo said:



I love my Droid Razr with my only complaint being poor battery performance In my opinion the M does not hold a candle to my Razr and I guess that I along with many others expect the new latestest and greatest devices to outperform their predecessors.


View original


I also really like the Razr Maxx but the battery performance isn't good on that phone either. For me, the M is an even better phone as I'd rather have the smaller form but I'm not holding much hope for the battery lasting the day.

Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 4,613
Registered: ‎03-15-2011
Location: United States
Message 10 of 87 (78 Views)

Re: 4g Network Connection



aviedo said:




 


My apoligies, I was not disagreeing with your theory but only that it sounded as if that was an acceptable excuse for the poor performance which it is not.



I love my Droid Razr with my only complaint being poor battery performance In my opinion the M does not hold a candle to my Razr and I guess that I along with many others expect the new latestest and greatest devices to outperform their predecessors.


View original


No apologies needed cool for the purposes of the forum it made sense to talk about the antenna placement since that is relevant to signal. As to your point about design, yes, I do agree with you. The only defense I can offer is:



1) It is impossible to test every type of cell signal and possible interference, so without knowing more about your area and Verizon's LTE coverage in it, there's not more I can say.



2) Verizon is still building out their LTE infrastructure, so while I do believe there can be some tweaking and enhancements to the radio base software, the carriers still have a way to go before their networks are "full coverage" in a given market.