United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 8

Droid RAZR M - 4.4.2 - Circles/Widget Issue

2014-06-15, 19:33 PM

Hello everyone,

My phone was upgraded to 4.4.2 a few weeks ago. The first upgrade did not take well at all and the phone was not acting appropriately. I cleared the cache and then did a FDR. After the FDR the phone for the most part went back to normal. However, I am experiencing a weird sluggish effect when opening or closing apps. In addition if I go into an app, like email, and then hit the home button the area the circles/widget reside in either:

1. Shows a black box where the circles are until the circles/background finally appear and displays properly or

2. Shows the background before the circles appear and display properly.

I did not experience either of these before the OTA update. Am I alone on this or perhaps am I missing setting something to optimize this OS? Thanks.

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Views: 25605
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Droid RAZR M - 4.4.2 - Circles/Widget Issue

2014-06-15, 19:38 PM
You are not alone. Mine does the same thing with KitKat, even after a FDR. Seems to be a delay when returning to the home screen and we see a black box while the Circles Widget loads.
~Scott
Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

US

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 3 of 8

2014-06-15, 21:14 PM

I don't think this will help, but try Clear data in Settings>Apps>All>Droid Command Center>Clear data>OK. Also, Clear cache there as well. You will have to set the widget back up after this. I would also recommend that you remove the widget from your homescreen before starting this process.

If you choose to try this than please let me know what the results were.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2014-06-15, 23:53 PM

joelbon said:

I don't think this will help, but try Clear data in Settings>Apps>All>Droid Command Center>Clear data>OK. Also, Clear cache there as well. You will have to set the widget back up after this. I would also recommend that you remove the widget from your homescreen before starting this process.

If you choose to try this than please let me know what the results were.

View original

I think you meant to say Circles and not "Command Center" Joelbon?  smiley  I had tried all of that, except removing and re-adding the Circles widget, during the first weekend with KK.  I tried again today and still have the issue.  I cleared cache & cleared data for Circles > removed Circles > shut down & cleared phone cache > rebooted > added Circles again.  It's like there is a half- second to second lag when returning to the Home screen before the Circles load and you can see the outline of the space it fills on the screen.  For me...it's live-able and does not reduce functionality...but it is noticeable with KK and was not there with JB.

~Scott
Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2014-06-16, 4:23 AM

@Casarez,

You are definitely not alone.  Many who have updated from JB to KK are having issues with the Circles Widget.  The symptom you describe of the black box has been reported to Motorola/Google.  No solution has been offered that will correct the "refresh" of the widget.

Also, you may notice that the Circles Widget does not play well with the newer "Messaging" app that replaced the text messaging app with JB.  Now the Circles Widget does not update and clear the notice of a new text.  It wil only clear if you "flick it" or access the messaging app by going through the widget.  If you respond to a text by any other entry point to the messaging app....the new notice will just remain in the Circles Widget.

Neither of these are showstoppers for me, but it did not behave this way with ICS or JB and I would not buy a phone today with this behavior.  It is sloppy.

Options

4 Posts

06-15-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2014-06-16, 12:37 PM

Good to know it is not just my phone.

Ah yes I forgot about the messaging aspect not working right as well.

I would have to agree and I am disappointed. I would assume when Motorola or VZ did testing they would have seen this behavior and fix it before the push.

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2014-06-16, 12:55 PM

Casarez said:

Ah yes I forgot about the messaging aspect not working right as well.

View original

For some people this is an easy fix (for others this doesn't work...but still worth a try):  Settings > Apps > All Apps > "Clear Data" for Circles and then Messaging > Power down > Clear system cache and reboot.  None of that is destructive and you will not lose any data.  It might get the messaging counter and Circles counter back in sync.

~Scott
Options

4 Posts

06-15-2014

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2014-07-02, 12:53 PM

Hey Sajokaz,

Apologies but work had me tied up. I tried your fix and it did not work for me. Checking my account I only have 5 months until I am out of contract and can have Vz unlock the phone. My intention is to roll back out of 4.4.2 unless a fix is sent out between now and then. As it is I am considering using my work phone (Vz LTE iPhone) since some of the changes in 4.4.2 I just dislike that much like the white text background etc.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete