Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 47 (102 Views)

Droid RAZR M by Motorola: Audio Static / Hissing

Is anyone else experiencing static or hissing sound over speakerphone AND headphones?  This is improved by turning Audio Effects OFF, but not eliminated.  I also went to the Verizon store and tried out a display RAZR M and it had the same problem.  This is very noticeable over headphones when listening in a quiet room.  The behavior is indepedent of audio source, headphone type and speaker vs. headphone jack.

Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 47 (102 Views)

Re: Droid RAZR M by Motorola: Audio Static / Hissing

Does your phone have this same static/hissing when charging as it does when it's running on battery power alone?    --- Dan

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 47 (102 Views)

DansDroid said:

Does your phone have this same static/hissing when charging as it does when it's running on battery power alone?    --- Dan

View original

Yes, actually it does.  I would also note it is worse at lower volume, but it is still noticable at moderate volumes.  I am suprised more people have not noticed since there aren't any comments in the various forums.

Moto Emeritus
Message 4 of 47 (102 Views)

orangetux said:

DansDroid said:

View original

Yes, actually it does.  I would also note it is worse at lower volume, but it is still noticable at moderate volumes.  I am suprised more people have not noticed since there aren't any comments in the various forums.

View original

Thank you for the prompt response.  As you have tested a demo M at Verizon and had the same results, I have to ask, and please don't be offended, because if it's true it's a blessing in disguise...do you have an unusual acuity to hear sounds in the high frequency range?  I am not trying to defer blame here, just trying to establish a baseline for troubleshooting something that has not been reported as a problem yet with the M to my knowledge.    --- Dan

What's DOS?
Message 5 of 47 (102 Views)

DansDroid said:

orangetux said:

DansDroid said:

View original

View original

Thank you for the prompt response.  As you have tested a demo M at Verizon and had the same results, I have to ask, and please don't be offended, because if it's true it's a blessing in disguise...do you have an unusual acuity to hear sounds in the high frequency range?  I am not trying to defer blame here, just trying to establish a baseline for troubleshooting something that has not been reported as a problem yet with the M to my knowledge.    --- Dan

View original

Not offended.  I am not sure if I have more acuity in the high frequency range, but I tend to be more sensitive to sound in general.  Be that as it may, with my previous iPhone 4S I could listen to music at night on the lowest possible volume with headphones and the sound would be crystal clear.  This was what I attempted with the M.  My wife also heard this static/hissing when I asked her if she heard anything.  I am eager to solve this issue since I really like the M (form factor, performance, battery life).

Motorola Admin
Message 6 of 47 (102 Views)

What is the audio source? On-device music, streaming music or video? Or does it matter?

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 47 (102 Views)

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

What is the audio source? On-device music, streaming music or video? Or does it matter?

View original

High quality mp3's, previews from Google Play store, Angry Birds, Youtube are all the things I tried and it didn't matter.

I noticed, Matt, that you have the Razr M as well...do you not hear the same thing I am hearing on mine?

802.11n
Message 8 of 47 (102 Views)

Wow I know my hearing isn't the greatest but I have two pretty good headsets and I never noticed anything. Sucks getting old.

Motorola Admin
Message 9 of 47 (102 Views)

I don't, though my hearing is pretty badly compromised by tinnitus. I am using a wired headset and on-device music, YouTube and streaming music all sound crystal-clear. (Aside from, you know, constant ringing in my ears...)

I would wonder about things like apps running in the background, charger interference, etc., but since you heard it in the store, I'm stumped.

If you pause music, does the sound persist? Or is it only noticable when the music is playing?

What's DOS?
Message 10 of 47 (102 Views)

I have a similar problem.  Plugging my RAZR M into my BMW and attempting to play any audio creates a hissing/whining sound from the speakers.  Doesn't happen when I plug in my DROID X.  Same cable, same jack.  Hissing and whining noise with RAZR M.  Nothing with the DROID X.

The hissing and whining sound stops a few seconds after stopping audio playback.  Starts again immediately upon starting to play again.  Tried multiple apps - same with all of them.

Tried my friend's RAZR M and got exactly the same result.

Works find in my Honda, but not in the BMW.  No problems with headsets.

There is some strange incompatibility between the RAZR M and my BMW.

Verizon Wireless had no idea what to do.  Offerred to take the phone back.  I'm debating that versus spending extra money on a bluetooth adapter like the Griffen Blue Trip Aux.  Seems crazy to spend $80 to replace a $5 3.5mm audio cable.  But so far my choices are either that or return the phone and try something else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Joe.