Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID RAZR M by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

05-06-2014

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 4

KITKAT and SD card installation of software

2014-05-23, 8:02 AM

Hello! I have Droid RAZR M with KITKAT and after 4.4.2. update installing of software to SD is prohibited. I can not install any software to SD card without rooting the device.

I know that this is Andorind 4.4x "special stupid thing" but I think that MOTOROLA as the manufacturer  were supposed to know that DROID RAZR M has SD card slot and logically  were supposed to provide support for Andorid 4.4.2  for SD.

Do you have any plans to improve the situation and grant the permissions to write/install on SD to 3rd party software? 

Thank you for the reply!

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2725 Signins

25655 Page Views

• Views: 25655
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: KITKAT and SD card installation of software

2014-05-30, 17:15 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you could "install" apps to the SD card in JellyBean either?  Personally I have not seen much difference in using my SD Card since upgrading to KK.  I keep 10GB of music on mine and all three music player apps that I use play all of the music.  All my pictures on on it and I can save new pictures there & read the current pictures.  There are some new permissions associated with the SD card and they way 3rd party apps can use the card.  But I don't remember being able to "install an app" and run it from the SD card for several versions now.

~Scott
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-05-30, 23:56 PM

Also, the app has to be programmed to run from the SD card even if the OS allows it.  Especially for paid apps, a lot of developers don't program that way.  It makes it too easy to "share" apps.

Options

1314 Posts

12-09-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-06-04, 19:42 PM

sajokaz said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you could "install" apps to the SD card in JellyBean either?  Personally I have not seen much difference in using my SD Card since upgrading to KK.  I keep 10GB of music on mine and all three music player apps that I use play all of the music.  All my pictures on on it and I can save new pictures there & read the current pictures.  There are some new permissions associated with the SD card and they way 3rd party apps can use the card.  But I don't remember being able to "install an app" and run it from the SD card for several versions now.

View original

In agreement here. To my knowledge, not since at least ICS have you been able to install software on the External SD Card (without modding the phone). Even when you could install to the SD Card, it was actually part of the internal (not phone) memory that it was being installed to not the actual external card. I believe internal memory was labeled SDCARD01 and the other was EXTSDCard or something to that affect. Can't recall for sure and I no longer have one of those phones to get the correct labels they used. I do know there were three different storage areas. Phone storage, internal/device storage. and external storage.

The only thing the external SD Card was for (again - since at least ICS I believe) was media, documents, pictures, etc, not apps or widgets.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms