83 Posts

01-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 41 of 123

Re: My Motospeak v3.0.57 voice recognition fail

2014-01-09, 12:53 PM

PhilBilly said:

Bob, Yes Dragon Mobile Assistant does support bluetooth devices. I tried dragon and it was ok but still had some issues I have tried several other apps and have not found one I like yet. Currently I am installing Hi!Way  I am waiting to hear back on a registration issue I am having but the app looks very promising.

View original

PhilBilly,

Thanks for your reply.  This thread was originally about Droid Razors, so I hate to hijack it into an APP thread, but since we all seem to be addressing the My Motospeak (MMS) issue, I hope it's OK?

I downloaded Dragon last night.  I LIKE that it, like MMS, also reads out text messages.  I LIKE that the voice ("Victoria") is slow(er) and very easy to understand.  (Sometimes, MMS can speak a little fast and is "mechanical", so isn't always the easiest to understand.)

What I DON'T LIKE is that it continues to read out the texts over the phones speaker - like a ringtone - when texts arrive AND THE Bluetooth (BT) is NOT activated/in my ear.  I attribute that to the fact that it is a phone-based app and not a BT-device app as are the Motorola's.

I intend to continue to play with the settings to see if I can find a "happy-medium".  One thing though... at least with Dragon (and perhaps the ones that you mention), it would enable the use of just about any brand of BT device/phone combination!

I'll switch back to and continue to use Motorola BT devices, but am just sayin'...  <g>

I'll also watch/try the other one(s) that you suggested.  What ones did you try, but DIDN'T like? 

PLEASE post your findings here... and the PRO's and CON's of each.  I'm sure "each of us" has our own needs... and perhaps the reason YOU didn't like one would be OK with someone else...????

THANKS!!!!

Options

83 Posts

01-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 42 of 123

2014-01-09, 16:12 PM

If you go to the Motorola My Motospeak (MMS) app page:

https://accounts.motorola.com/ssoauth/login?locale=us_en&appid=ZI2FIY5LS7R8EE1WJBZ6MUBHXUF517H7&TARGET=https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/cc/cas/sso/redirect/%2Fcc%2Fcommunity%2FssoRedirect%2FaHR0cHM6Ly9mb3J1bXMubW90b3JvbGEuY29tL3N1YnNjcmlwdGlvbnM%2FbGFuZz1lbl9VUw%3D%3D

It says, "Automatically turns on and off with your Bluetooth accessory so it’s running only when you need it. Keep your texts private and avoid embarrassing moments from texts read aloud through your phone."

THIS is what - for me - makes the Motorola app so great.  The app is IN THE DEVICE, not the phone.  It only works when the Bluetooth device is on.

COME ON MOTOROLA - WE WANT OUR "MY MOTOSPEAK" APP BACK!!  :-)

Bob

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 43 of 123

2014-01-09, 16:29 PM

@ydoc69

Your experience may be different, but for me the app is not in my Roadster, the app is on my phone.  The app can also be launched whether or not it is connected to a bluetooth device.  And, since the update, the app fails regardless of using the app with or without a connection to a bluetooth device.

The part you quoted:

"Automatically turns on and off with your Bluetooth accessory so it’s running only when you need it. Keep your texts private and avoid embarrassing moments from texts read aloud through your phone."

This means that the app is "launched" as needed when the bluetooth device is connected, but is not always running on the phone.  However the app can also be manually launched on your phone if you choose.

j.carpenter

Options

3 Posts

12-26-2013

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 44 of 123

2014-01-09, 16:41 PM

I posted a while back with this problem.  It seems that a lot of you have called in with samsung phones, but I wanted to point out that this is definitely NOT a compatibility issue with the app and a non-motorola device.  There are plenty of users on this thread with motorola phones, including myself (Droid Razr). Also, when purchasing the roadster 2, the main reason I got it was because of the voice texting feature. The My Motospeak app clearly indicates that it is not compatible with iPhones, but never says it is only compatible with motorolas. It is an android app and therefore should work with all android phones.  This is just an example of techs who don't know what they are talking about trying to give you an excuse why the app isn't working on your Android phone.  And maybe trying to get more motorola devices sold.  However this problem is definitely the app, not the device using it.  I launched the app from my Motorola phone yesterday and it still doesn't work for voice texting. 

Options

83 Posts

01-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 45 of 123

2014-01-09, 16:44 PM

j.carpenter,

All true.  As you stated, the app IS on the phone.  But, the app only fully functions with those "compatible" Motorola BT earpieces.  Not ALL Motorola BT devices, and no non-Motorola BT devices (that I know of).

But, I'm not sure of the app benefits if launched on (only) the phone and no BT device connected?  Then it would seem to be no better/additional benefits than SIRI or S-Voice...???  Or Dragon for that matter.

As you pointed out, FOR ME, the advantage IS that it is fully compatible (no text read-out) WHILE using my Motorola/compatible BT devices (HX550 & Elite Flip).

Bob

Options

15 Posts

01-07-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 46 of 123

2014-01-09, 18:38 PM

The APP is just as useful manually on the phone as with a Bluetooth device. I am not always in my car and I don't always want a device plugged in my ear. It is much easier using the app to make a call when out walking or lounging at home. Just touch the app on the home page and tell it what to do by voice. No searching the contact list, etc. It also states in the tutorial to place the app on the home page to make it more convenient indicating it works whether or not a bt device is attached. It did work that way until recently. Wish there was a way to back out all updates from the phone.

Options

83 Posts

01-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 47 of 123

2014-01-09, 19:38 PM

Melissa said:

I posted a while back with this problem.  It seems that a lot of you have called in with samsung phones, but I wanted to point out that this is definitely NOT a compatibility issue with the app and a non-motorola device.  There are plenty of users on this thread with motorola phones, including myself (Droid Razr). Also, when purchasing the roadster 2, the main reason I got it was because of the voice texting feature. The My Motospeak app clearly indicates that it is not compatible with iPhones, but never says it is only compatible with motorolas. It is an android app and therefore should work with all android phones.  This is just an example of techs who don't know what they are talking about trying to give you an excuse why the app isn't working on your Android phone.  And maybe trying to get more motorola devices sold.  However this problem is definitely the app, not the device using it.  I launched the app from my Motorola phone yesterday and it still doesn't work for voice texting. 

View original

Yep, exactly.  The full functionality of the app is associated with a "compatible" Motorola Bluetooth earpiece!  It does NOT (also) require a Motorola phone - only the Android O/S (I have a Samsung Galaxy S3).  It worked perfectly, and may I add, WONDERFULLY until my phone updated (Sprint? Samsung?  Android?) on December 6th!

Bob

Options

83 Posts

01-08-2014

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 48 of 123

2014-01-09, 20:07 PM

Billw439 said:

The APP is just as useful manually on the phone as with a Bluetooth device. I am not always in my car and I don't always want a device plugged in my ear. It is much easier using the app to make a call when out walking or lounging at home. Just touch the app on the home page and tell it what to do by voice. No searching the contact list, etc. It also states in the tutorial to place the app on the home page to make it more convenient indicating it works whether or not a bt device is attached. It did work that way until recently. Wish there was a way to back out all updates from the phone.

View original

All good points Bill.  *I* use my BT earpiece almost exclusively.  My wife even has to remind me to "...take that darn thing out of your ear!" <lol>  It's COLD in Nebraska and I wear my phone on a belt-clip.  So when the phone rings, or I want to place a call, it's unbuckle the seatbelt, take off my gloves, unzip my PARKA, and try to get the phone out of the clip in time to answer the call AND WHILE DRIVING!  Or... just push the button on my BT and say "Hello".  <g>

I've gotten soooo used to it (BT earpiece), that it's easier to have it in/use it, than it is to take it in/out all the time.

Again, good points.  Everybody is different... BUT, the issue IS... when we WANT TO USE IT, it's (now) not working as it should.  So for everybody, I hope that the MMS developers are "burning the midnight oil" getting this app operational again!

And while they're at it, I'd sure like them to widen the coverage of compatible BT earpieces!

Bob

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2718 Signins

25605 Page Views

• Views: 25605
  • Message 49 of 123

2014-01-09, 21:36 PM

Here is the one thing I am still a little confused about.  Does anyone remember actually receiving an update for the My Motospeak app before this issue started?  Some folks have reported that they received different phone updates, but what about app updates.  The Motorola website and the Play Store both claim that version 3.0.57 is the latest and has not been updated since April 3, 2013.  I have had version 3.0.57 since around that time (I updated as soon as it was available) and it worked great until December 22nd (for me).  If there were no updates to the app since April, why did it stop working all of the sudden?  I wish we had an answer to that question.

~Scott
Options

21 Posts

12-27-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 50 of 123

2014-01-09, 21:50 PM

ydoc69 said:

PLEASE post your findings here... and the PRO's and CON's of each.  I'm sure "each of us" has our own needs... and perhaps the reason YOU didn't like one would be OK with someone else...????

THANKS!!!!

View original

I have been using Dragon for a couple of weeks now. I do like the app, though you really have to get used to some nuances of the program (get it, the Vendor is Nuance...) anyway... Here's my additional pros & cons & misc findings. This is not a full list, just features for texting/phoning

Pros:

• Accurate, editable messaging.

• Can be configured to operate in Drive Mode (without having to turn on a GPS to detect, like OK Google)

• Works with bluetooth built into vehicle.

• Can add to a message as part of the editing process.

• The Drive Mode becomes a widget to add to the phone to ensure drive mode is enabled at a glance.

Cons:

• Will not auto play new messages when phone is in vibrate mode.

• Does not allow repeating of the new message when read out (or I have not found the right command)

• Does not  (or I do not a command) to re-read new message because my phone was silent.

• Voice detection is too short. Just catching my breath to begin a sentence indicates make it stop and it confirms the text. 

• Sound for media a playback is not loud enough at times and turning up the radio to listen to a message is not always convenient. Also, when the voice mode is finished, when the radio kicks back on, it is extremely loud and harmful on the ears.

I imagine with more time and practice, I can get through the quirks. At least it's giving me back the lost functionality of the My Motospeak app.

I am not sure if I will return back to My Motospeak once the app is fixed. I use the Motospeak app with my Silverado and the app will not pair with my vehicle if I do not pair my phone with a Roadster first. Very limiting of the app since one can use it as a standalone if desired.

I am going to check out the HiWay app that PhilBilly mentioned to get a good comparison with Dragon.

John

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete