Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-24-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 5

Droid RAZR Battery Bulging

2014-09-29, 0:38 AM

Hello,

My father today asked me to see if i could figure out what was wrong with his phone.  I thought it was going to be something to do with an app or phone setting, but unfortunately it was way more than that. He was going to keep using it, till I saw it and told him I would look it up. Everything points to a bloated battery which leads to only bad stuff?  I have turned off his phone for now.

Is it possible to just replace the battery?

I'm using a Droid RAZR also and afraid this might happen to my phone. =(

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Droid RAZR Battery Bulging

2014-09-29, 1:05 AM

Please tell your father not to turn that phone back on again.  Excessive heat can cause a battery, any battery to do that.  The wrong charger, very rapid dissipation of the battery (as in a phone working very hard in a bad signal area, for example), plus the ambient temperature, all generate heat.  While we can see the external damage, we don't know if there has been any internal damage.  There may be more to fix than just replacing the battery.

I don't know whether or not Motorola will attempt to repair the phone, but you can certainly contact Motorola repair.  They can advise you on procedure and cost.

Although it no longer has a mobile signal, my Droid Razr, which I bought in November of 2011, is still humming along nicely, and does everything I need it to do on wifi only.  Any phone battery, new or old, can turn out just like your dad's if it gets hot enough.  I wouldn't worry about your own phone as long as you're aware of the problems that excessive heat can cause.  We should all be aware of that.

Anyway, let us know how it all turns out, but please, don't turn that phone on.

Options

1314 Posts

12-09-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2014-09-29, 16:52 PM

Mine did the same thing back in August (Droid Razr MAXX). Was fine for 2+ years and had passed on to my son in June. A couple of months later (August) he brought it to me saying he thought something was wrong with it and there was. Back probably bulged out about a 1/4 of an inch. Phone was not hot and still seemed to keep a decent charge (according to him), but when I saw it, said to turn it off and get a new phone. Once this happens, not much you can do since the cause is unknown and you really can't replace the battery for less that what it would cost to just get a new phone. If he has insurance on the phone, go to Verizon and see what they will do.

Options

1 Posts

11-15-2014

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2014-11-15, 14:33 PM

I thought that was the strangest thing.  My phone had started getting hot lately and I had no idea what was wrong.  I stopped charging it thinking that was it.  But there have been a few times when it was just in the case in my purse and it was hot.  I was told that the phone was getting a signal that it was charged but it wasn't actually charged.  Then two days ago it just went into this droid mode and wouldn't turn on at all.  The decorative case on the back of my phone popped off and I was wondering why did the case come off.  I removed the case and saw the phone back looked like the picture shown.  This is crazy the more technology improves the worst it gets.  I think it was better when you were able to change the battery if something was wrong or the phone started to run slow.  I believe that the stored batteries are the reason why it expanded like it did.  Maybe I am wrong, but this should never have happen.  Oh well I have to get a new phone - that one was just broken in the way I like it.   

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 5 of 5

2014-11-15, 19:00 PM
It could be that the battery just gave out. This sort of thing just happens sometimes. Sorry that it happened to you. I would also advise you to read Crystallet's post above. Follow her advice.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms