Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

4366 Posts

09-08-2010

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 101 of 179

Re: Jelly Bean, Worth the Wait?

2013-03-24, 14:59 PM

Crystallet said,

We're users, just like you, and we do rant and rave, but mostly, we try to do it politely (if there is such a thing).  wink

We have to be polite now? surprise

When did this start? http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/peepwall.gif

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Views: 3971
  • Message 102 of 179

2013-03-24, 16:16 PM
RingDroid is another great app for ringtones. It allows you to take a snippet of a song or the whole file a ringtone. It is a great app for ringtones.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

10 Posts

03-24-2013

United States of America

4 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 103 of 179

2013-03-24, 18:23 PM

thanks for the suggestions everyone; it's good to have specific apps to try -  there are just so many, i get overwhelmed trying to pick and try many different ones to find ones that have the functionalty  like. I don't really enjoy browsing apps - i'm a 'set it and forget it' user, not at all interested in playing around with stuff. Nor do I have the time, i'm a busy person and my phone is just a tool to make daily life smoother, i coulnd't care less about searching and playing with apps, nor do I want to have to check in with an online forum just to know what's going on with it.  It's a tool - once i set it the way I want it, it should STAY that way until I change it.

sorry about the semi-swear words, i really didn't expect there would be kids on a forum such as this.

i also have no interest in creating my own ringtones, nor do i need any new ones -  i have the ones i want for the ring and alarm, they are IN my music on the phone - all i want is for THEM to work. 

and yes, i realize that many of these things are somewhat trivial, but it REALLY irritates me that something as basic as the ringtone doesn't work. it just makes no sense for a fancy expensive phone like this. if i wanted a "vanilla" phone i would have bought one - this phone is supposed to do something better than that - I got it cause i LOVED the things that were already installed on it, and it ticks me off that after I spent time and energy carefully researching and comparing phones til i found one with the exact things i wanted, they've now suddenly been removed after the fact - and i now have to go find and re-load these basics. At the very least, the fundamentals like ringtone and alarm function should work EASILY, with a simple "set" option,  without having to go through all this nonsense just to have the basics function normally.

Thanks very much for the assistance; I'll check out the apps mentioned, and hopefully they will suit my needs; really appreciate the suggestions.

Options

48 Posts

12-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 104 of 179

2013-03-24, 18:58 PM

null

thanks for the suggestions everyone; it's good to have specific apps to try -  there are just so many, i get overwhelmed trying to pick and try many different ones to find ones that have the functionalty  like. I don't really enjoy browsing apps - i'm a 'set it and forget it' user, not at all interested in playing around with stuff. Nor do I have the time, i'm a busy person and my phone is just a tool to make daily life smoother, i coulnd't care less about searching and playing with apps, nor do I want to have to check in with an online forum just to know what's going on with it.  It's a tool - once i set it the way I want it, it should STAY that way until I change it.

sorry about the semi-swear words, i really didn't expect there would be kids on a forum such as this.

i also have no interest in creating my own ringtones, nor do i need any new ones -  i have the ones i want for the ring and alarm, they are IN my music on the phone - all i want is for THEM to work. 

and yes, i realize that many of these things are somewhat trivial, but it REALLY irritates me that something as basic as the ringtone doesn't work. it just makes no sense for a fancy expensive phone like this. if i wanted a "vanilla" phone i would have bought one - this phone is supposed to do something better than that - I got it cause i LOVED the things that were already installed on it, and it ticks me off that after I spent time and energy carefully researching and comparing phones til i found one with the exact things i wanted, they've now suddenly been removed after the fact - and i now have to go find and re-load these basics. At the very least, the fundamentals like ringtone and alarm function should work EASILY, with a simple "set" option,  without having to go through all this nonsense just to have the basics function normally.

Thanks very much for the assistance; I'll check out the apps mentioned, and hopefully they will suit my needs; really appreciate the suggestions.

View original

Hi Catt,

I know how frustrating changes can be.  I wasn't happy when they upgraded my device with ICS and ruined the LapDock experience by taking away the LINUX layer..  Anyway after reading your post, I checked my custom ringtones and noticed that the one I created and love using wasn't there either.. it wasn't on the list at all... I did various serching and trying different options and none worked.   I have an app installed on my phone called X-plore File Manger which allows you to look in those hidden files and directories on your phone.  I did not Root my phone.  I found where the default Ringtones are stored and thought if I place a copy of my ringtone there, it would work.  Unfortuantely that folder is locked, and would require me to Root my phone to do so. 

So making a long story short, I installed a free app on the Play Store called Ringtone Maker  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.herman.ringtone

It found my ring tone and with simple click I made it my default ring tone.   Although I has added features of making new ringtones, it works with making your existing ringtone the default  ringtone.

BTW- I was a little confused at your posting at first, because after I upgraded to JB, I checked my ringtones and they were fine.  It was after I had had rebooted my phone (Power and Volume Decrease button together) is when I lost my ringtone setting.

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Message 105 of 179

2013-03-24, 19:07 PM

@Catt, there is another way to deal with your ringtones as well. If you create a folder called ringtones on you SD card and you put your ringtones into that folder than the phone will recognize them as ringtones. Any recognized audio file that is in that folder will be usable as a ringtone. 

You can do the same for alarms and notifications as well. Create a folder and drop files in there and they will now be available as those sounds. You can do this from your computer or with a file management app like Astro or even the default Files app.

The added bonus is that any files that are in these "special" folders will NOT show up in your music list. It is nice to not have ringtones playing while you are listening to your music.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I am not a Motorola employee. I am just a regular owner like everyone else and donate my time here. I am although a moderator, so please don't break the rules. Please like my comments if they help you. Thanks and I hope that I have helped you.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Options

10 Posts

03-24-2013

United States of America

4 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 106 of 179

2013-03-24, 19:20 PM

thanks again.  before i came here, i had already tried moving my custom ringtones into the 'ringtones' folder using the computer, it still did not work.  and yes, i had also rebooted --  it was only after doing those things i realized this was NOT an intuitive process, and even with my fairly decent tech skills, it was not easy to navigate and fix these issues. i can usually figure ANYTHING out, i'm the one everyone else gives their phones and laptops to, to help them fix things - but not for this.  and that makes me even more annoyed, that they make something that should be SIMPLE,  so time-consuming and complex.

I don't listen to music using the phone so that won't be an issue for me.

And mind you i have no problem with change in general - as long as said change doesn't mess stuff up. It's just when the changes cause problems with basic functionality, causing things to not work right, and causing me to have to waste time and energy on things that should  already BE there, and work normally - that it's so aggravating.

Will try Ringtone Maker in order to be able to use the tones i've already created, thanks very much!  very much appreciated.

Options

48 Posts

12-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 107 of 179

2013-03-24, 19:24 PM

null

@Catt, there is another way to deal with your ringtones as well. If you create a folder called ringtones on you SD card and you put your ringtones into that folder than the phone will recognize them as ringtones. Any recognized audio file that is in that folder will be usable as a ringtone. 

You can do the same for alarms and notifications as well. Create a folder and drop files in there and they will now be available as those sounds. You can do this from your computer or with a file management app like Astro or even the default Files app.

The added bonus is that any files that are in these "special" folders will NOT show up in your music list. It is nice to not have ringtones playing while you are listening to your music.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I am not a Motorola employee. I am just a regular owner like everyone else and donate my time here. I am although a moderator, so please don't break the rules. Please like my comments if they help you. Thanks and I hope that I have helped you.

View original

Joelbon - I had those folders already on my SD Card.. I copied my mp3 ringtone into the Ringtone Folder, it never showed up in the ringtone list when I went to look for it in the Sounds settings.   It did show up in the notifications setting when I put it in the Nofications folder though. 

Options

10 Posts

03-24-2013

United States of America

4 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 108 of 179

2013-03-24, 19:32 PM

"I copied my mp3 ringtone into the Ringtone Folder, it never showed up in the ringtone list when I went to look for it in the Sounds settings."

Exactly. 

hence, the problem.

Options

15438 Posts

02-04-2016

United States of America

260 Signins

3971 Page Views

• Message 109 of 179

2013-03-24, 20:33 PM

Did you name the folder "ringtone" or "ringtones"? It must be named "ringtones" with the "s". It works fine on my phone, so it should also work on yours. Hope this helps.

Options

48 Posts

12-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 110 of 179

2013-03-24, 21:33 PM

null

Did you name the folder "ringtone" or "ringtones"? It must be named "ringtones" with the "s". It works fine on my phone, so it should also work on yours. Hope this helps.

View original

I have folders named "Ringtones"  and " Notifications".   They were already on my device under  "Device Storage"  not under "SD card"

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms