10-18-2020

US

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 1

MOTO RAZR MAXX HD - Endless Boot Loop

2020-10-18, 3:18 AM

I have an old Motorola RAZR MAXX HD (the model from 2012) that I'm trying to revive to use as a security camera (using Alfred Camera by Zendesk). However, when I plug it into power, the green light at the top of the phone comes on for several minutes before it finally appears to try to boot, then it hangs at the red "eye" screen for several more minutes before it cycles through the whole process again: blank screen/green light for several minutes --> "Dual Core" screen for a short time --> red eye for several minutes --> start again

I've exhausted the limits of my Google-fu just to get to where I could do factory reset from the Android triage screen. The reset appears to have completed successfully and wiped all of the user and cache data, but the device continues to loop through this boot cycle. I was able to get to the AP fast boot menu but, from what I've read, that doesn't look quite "right". The issue on that screen is that it shows "Battery: Low", even though the phone has been constantly plugged in for over a week now.

I've tried getting to Safe Mode, but I can't seem to get there. I've removed the SIM card since this device is intended for strictly Wi-Fi connection going forward. At this point, I'm wondering if there's any way for me to get this device to complete a normal boot cycle. Every "reboot" takes a good 10-15 minutes and I'm usually holding down buttons for so long that my fingers start to cramp up, so I'd really like to figure out something I can do without too much more of that.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to provide the software version using the linked instructions as they require access to the device's home screen which, as stated in my OP, I cannot get to since the phone never gets past the red "eye" screen. If there is another way to access that information, I'd be happy to provide it.

Regarding the charging method, I have long-since misplaced the original charging cable that came with the device, but the phone is currently plugged into a power strip connected to a standard wall electrical outlet using a USB / micro USB cable taken from a PowerA brand "play and charge" kit for my Xbox One wireless controller.

The micro USB port on the side of the phone appears to be clear of any debris. The cable itself is new without any apparent defects.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete