Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

119 Posts

08-17-2010

United States of America

7 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 7

Play Store (Market) Performance with ICS

2012-08-16, 21:19 PM

I have really noticed tons of lag whenever updating Play Store (Market) applications since the ICS update.  For quite a while during/after updating any application, my phone lags badly, and has even restarted itself while attempting updates.

I have also noticed that if I have multiple apps to update, the first one will usually download/update, but then the next one tends to get stuck saying "Downloading", and never actually begins downloading.  This is especially noticable if the display turns off while it's downloading updates.  I have checked, and have no data-saving features turned on, and this happens both on Wifi and on 3G/4G.

Is any of this happening to anyone else?  Ideas?

Answer
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947

Re: Play Store (Market) Performance with ICS

2012-08-16, 23:24 PM

Wiping the cache via the recovery menu has worked for many after the update.  You might want to try wiping the cache two or three times, which has worked when one cache wipe didn't do the trick.  If you follow these instructions carefully, it will go very easily.  Just pay close attention to the instructions because the recovery menu also contains the option to do a factory data reset, and you don't want to do that if you don't have to.

Power the phone down.

Hold the volume up/down and power key down all at the same time until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu. This should happen within a couple of
seconds.

Press the volume down key until "Recovery" is highlighted. Press the volume up key to select.

Wait until you see a triangle with an exclamation point in it.

Press the volume up/down key at the same time. This should put you into the Android system recovery.

Press the volume down key until wipe cache partition is highlighted.

Press the power button to select. You will be brought back to the Android system recovery utility when it is complete.

Press the power button to select "reboot system now". Wait for the phone to boot.

Since that's non-destructive to your apps/data, you should go ahead and give that a try.  If it doesn't eliminate the lag, boot your phone up into safe mode and see if it's still lags.  If it doesn't lag, your problem could be caused by an app that's not compatible with ICS.  If the lag disappears, see if you can figure out which app might be the culprit, uninstall it, reboot the phone, and see what happens.  Keep trying until you find the culprit.

If it still lags in safe mode, and you've done several cache wipes, you'll probably have to try a factory data reset.  Before you do an FDR, be sure to

1. back up your data; and

2. turn off automatic restore in your privacy settings

I suggest you use the external key method rather than the menu method.  You'll find both methods here.

If you do the reset, the easiest way to restore your apps is from your computer in the MyApps tab of the Google Play Store. 

An FDR is really a last resort, so I hope you don't have to do it.  On the other hand, it has done the trick for people on this forum.  By the way, some would say try safe mode before the cache wipe, and you can, but there are people on this forum who periodically do a cache wipe just to keep things running smoothly, so it's not a bad idea to do that anyway.

Hope something here gets your phone back to running smoothly.

Replies(6)
Options

118 Posts

04-12-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 7

2012-08-16, 22:32 PM
Have you tried clearing cache in recovery? It fixed a lot of issues I was having since the upgrade. I'd give it a shot if you haven't yet. Let us know if it still happens or not. I have a little bit of lag but my updates always finish downloading so yours shouldn't be doing that.
Answer
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 3 of 7

2012-08-16, 23:24 PM

Wiping the cache via the recovery menu has worked for many after the update.  You might want to try wiping the cache two or three times, which has worked when one cache wipe didn't do the trick.  If you follow these instructions carefully, it will go very easily.  Just pay close attention to the instructions because the recovery menu also contains the option to do a factory data reset, and you don't want to do that if you don't have to.

Power the phone down.

Hold the volume up/down and power key down all at the same time until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu. This should happen within a couple of
seconds.

Press the volume down key until "Recovery" is highlighted. Press the volume up key to select.

Wait until you see a triangle with an exclamation point in it.

Press the volume up/down key at the same time. This should put you into the Android system recovery.

Press the volume down key until wipe cache partition is highlighted.

Press the power button to select. You will be brought back to the Android system recovery utility when it is complete.

Press the power button to select "reboot system now". Wait for the phone to boot.

Since that's non-destructive to your apps/data, you should go ahead and give that a try.  If it doesn't eliminate the lag, boot your phone up into safe mode and see if it's still lags.  If it doesn't lag, your problem could be caused by an app that's not compatible with ICS.  If the lag disappears, see if you can figure out which app might be the culprit, uninstall it, reboot the phone, and see what happens.  Keep trying until you find the culprit.

If it still lags in safe mode, and you've done several cache wipes, you'll probably have to try a factory data reset.  Before you do an FDR, be sure to

1. back up your data; and

2. turn off automatic restore in your privacy settings

I suggest you use the external key method rather than the menu method.  You'll find both methods here.

If you do the reset, the easiest way to restore your apps is from your computer in the MyApps tab of the Google Play Store. 

An FDR is really a last resort, so I hope you don't have to do it.  On the other hand, it has done the trick for people on this forum.  By the way, some would say try safe mode before the cache wipe, and you can, but there are people on this forum who periodically do a cache wipe just to keep things running smoothly, so it's not a bad idea to do that anyway.

Hope something here gets your phone back to running smoothly.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

11 Posts

09-15-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2012-08-17, 1:03 AM

Google suggests methods in the following post to get help with the Google Play Store:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/mobile/android-applications/PSy3V1OEz-A%5B1-25%5D

Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2012-08-17, 3:35 AM

If you are still having the lag problem after following the very good information above, you might want to try putting your phone into safe mode to see if the download lag still exists on your phone.  If the lag is now gone, there's a third party application that is conflicting another application on your phone.  Please let the forum know the results of your troubleshooting.   Safe mode instructions are here.      --- Dan

Options

119 Posts

08-17-2010

United States of America

7 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 6 of 7

2012-08-23, 21:32 PM

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been out of town.  Clearing the cache did fix the crazy lag I was experiencing during Play Store updates.  

It still stops at "Downloading" when updating some apps, but the overall performance of the phone doesn't suffer when this happens; the app just doesn't download.  I've seen others have that problem, but at least I can stop/restart the updates, and they eventually finish.  If I keep the screen on during the updates, it seems I can prevent this problem as well.

Options

118 Posts

04-12-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2012-08-23, 21:39 PM
Glad to hear that it made a big improvement at least. Do you happen to have the phone set to kill all background processes with screen off? The setting is in the developement tab. If so that might be causing it to stop when u turn the screen off
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms