Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-21-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 11

RAZR MAXX Ruined by ICS

2012-07-21, 5:07 AM
I received my Razr Maxx just days after release and after my poor experience with the X2 I was ready for a change. Everything was fantastic until I updated my phone two days ago. As far as I can tell the update was designed to:

Decrease battery life
Change many of my settings (without warning)
Slow down every action on the phone (I have had to give up on so many simple tasks)
Make my picture gallery impossible to access (it takes approximately five years to load the thumbnails)
Make things like applications and widgets more difficult to access ( really? No more long press on a home screen for access to widgets and apps?)
Where the heck did my camera quick launch go on my home screen (I lock my phone with a PIN; and by the way what the heck is up with the giant '0' button on my PIN pad?)
Did I mention slow down everything??
If I am listening to music I can't turn my phone to vibrate or even adjust the ringer volume without going into my settings, plus the music widget covers the entire top of the lock screen where the volume controls live.

So if the overall goal was to take an awesome phone and make it slow as a snail and twice as buggy, mission accomplished!

MOTOROLA, LISTEN UP: GIVE ME BACK MY DROID RAZR MAXX!!!!!!!!!!

I need some help from my Moto-brothers and sisters: has anyone had any luck fixing any of these issues?
Options

256 Posts

07-06-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: RAZR MAXX Ruined by ICS

2012-07-21, 5:19 AM

There are several threads which give detailed instructions on how to improve things.  First read the thread on how to clear the phones cache, that should clear up a lot of problems and should be done after any major upgrade.  If that does not resolve things, you can then do a factory data reset to basically restore the phone to what would be a fresh install of ics.  But be sure to back up all of your data and pics to your pc or external sd card so that you do not lose everything.  And be careful when you restore all of your apps because not all will work well with ics so it is best to restore them one at a time and to clear the cache of each app.  Moto appears to be working on a "fix" which will hopefully be released soon but there is no firm date on when that will be.  I hope this helps, good luck.

Options

4 Posts

07-21-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2012-07-21, 5:39 AM
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the input. I cleaned my cache and we'll see if that makes any difference (I use Android Assistant). I used to have to do factory resets on my X2 regularly. It was a major pain even with the different backup programs. If it comes to that with the Razr I will probably make the jump to the iPhone5 when it comes out. I have been loyal to Android despite all the issues and despite most of my friends, family, and colleagues being Apple customers. At the end of the day I just need a phone that works!
Options

256 Posts

07-06-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2012-07-21, 6:30 AM

Clearing the system cache is a different process and it would need to be done through the system recovery menu.  It is a simple process, it doesnt take long and will not affect any data on your phone.  Use the search function here on the forums and search for "cache" or look through some of the recent posts for instructions on how to do it.  It resolved most of my problems and seems to work for many users.  There may still be a few bugs it will not fix but it should help until moto releases the "patch" to address the battery, lte 4g radio connection and a few other bugs with ics.  Also, it reportedly helps battery life if you first wake up the phone and unlock it before you unplug the charger.  There is a thread here called "ics solutions to problems" that you may want to check out, it is a good starting point and explains how to fix several issues with the ics upgrade and also check out the thread "unacceptable battery drain after ics".  There are several other good threads addressing issues with ics and how to fix many of them, good luck.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 5 of 11

2012-07-21, 10:34 AM

Here are detailed instructions on clearing the system cache partition.  It will not delete your data or apps, but it will take you to the same menu used to do a factory data reset, so follow the instructions carefully.

Read each screen carefully as you do this because the "wipe data / factory reset" is also an option in this menu and you do not want to do that!

Clear cache partition using external keys

• Power down and wait until you are sure the device is completely off.

• Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + PWR KEY .

• The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS

• Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT

• Select Recovery

• The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark

• Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen

• The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background .

• Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the PWR Key to SELECT the option desired .

• In this case, press the VOL DOWN key till wipe cachepartition is selected and press the
    PWR key to confirm the selection .

• The device will then start clearing cache

• Once the process is complete, press the PWR key to confirm a REBOOT (this option is highlighted by default once the cache clearing process has finished)

• The message rebooting is displayed on the phone.

• The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

Options

18 Posts

07-13-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2012-07-21, 17:28 PM

I agree with the OP...the Maxx was SO much better before the update....losing things like hte long press for widgets, volume controls, the moto widgets, etc, is awful.  Why get rid of things that worked?  Even the email widget...you can no longer pick the account to display...you need to pick one and you are done...or the task manager.  that auto-end list was awesome.  i have tried 6 different app managers and they all do not do the job.  the phone lags horribly and the battery is nowhere NEAR as good.

I did hte cache wipe and the FDR....didn't help.

Options

256 Posts

07-06-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2012-07-21, 19:45 PM

There some good features in ics, like the ability to change the apps on the dock and even place folders on the dock.  You can also "disable" apps (works for a lot of the bloatware).  It is easier to create folders, you just drag and drop ocons on top of each other.  When you long press on the home button for your recent apps you can "swipe" the ones you want to end.  Status bar notifications can be closed all at once or individually.  And of course there are always plenty of good apps in the google play store, like k-9 mail which has a nice widget and can list multiple email accounts, status bar notification app will create multiple shortcuts in the notification bar for easy access, apw widgets are great.  Once you get used to ics its not bad.  And of course you can use a different launcher like adw, go, apex, etc if you want to change the look and feel of your phone.

Options

4 Posts

07-21-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2012-07-23, 4:50 AM
I appreciate the detailed instructions and all the feedback. I wiped the cache and noticed a big difference. Things load a lot faster now. I use my phone for work and don't have the luxury of "tinkering" to see what works and what doesn't when it comes to rooting or modifying. My email signature got wiped out by the update too. I have a long signature for work and apparently you can't copy and paste a signature any more. This is just another example of taking something that worked just fine and replacing it with something halfway ready & halfway thought through. "if you want to change the look and feel of your phone"? I do. I want to change it back to when it worked better. FYI, all my app folders have been set up forever. I do like some of the improvements, just not at the cost of efficiency and battery life.
Options

35 Posts

06-20-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2012-07-23, 5:01 AM

over all i have enjoyed the ICS upgrade, it took me a little time to get used to it, but i enjoy it. i also have a new tablet that i bought a couple of weeks ago (wanted a motorola but wanted wifi only and this one was in my price range range) one of the reasons i got it was because of it ran ICS. i did notice it ran on 4.0.3. the other day i got a 280mb upgrade that upped it to 4.0.4 and i love the changes it made, i wish a couple of them were on my maxx.

i like ICS, not in a hurry for JB, just want to see some updates that fix the minor issues with it, like signal.

also, people have been saying that 6.16.215 has kept their battery from getting so hot, which is rumored (depending on who you talk to ) to be a possible cause for screens cracking.

i think the ICS is a success overall though...

Russel the cop

Options

35 Posts

06-11-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2012-07-23, 12:31 PM

I am loving ICS on the Razr Maxx

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms