Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 71 of 103

Re: Razr Maxx reboots on app updates

2013-03-01, 20:29 PM

null

null

I'd like to see if this persists after the upgrade to Jelly Bean. I it does, we can do a deeper dive to for a common factor among phones with this issue.

View original

Ditto!! surprise

I somewhat agree with Dan and Crystallet that Moto (and other manufacturers) can only do so much, but I still beleive this is an OS issue.  Basically what I think is happening is that the OS is experiencing something during updates that causes the processors to get overworked and shuts the phone down as a damage prevention move.  One could argue it isn't the fault of the OS directly, but you can also say if the OS was fully vetted, it "should" play nice.  Again, not all apps are optimized for the various OS versions people have, so I guess it's a difficult, if not impossible goal to achieve. 

If everyone who is experiencing this phenomenon sends in a list of all their apps and a common app or two are on every one of those handsets, then we could say we likely found the culprit(s).  I don't know that this could be done, but it would be worth a try in my opinion and I would volounteer for that. At the moment, I can live with the "issue" as I don't update apps unless I know I don't need to use my phone for about 5 minutes (of course, some apps auto-update and that is out of my control per the settings I chose, but I have found that doesn't usually trigger the problem - it's mostly manually requested updates)

View original

I'm curious:  how do you personally define "fully vetted"?  I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm really trying to understand. 

I think that Matt's offer to take a deeper dive after JB has rolled out is generous.  In attempting to solve a problem, I don't really care where the problem lies; finger pointing (it's not my fault, it's his fault) is an enormous waste of resources.  But it seems to me that any investigation as to what's causing the problem must begin with the variables, not the constants, unless the constant is known to have an issue.  The OS must be stable, and documentation/code/whatever on how to program for it must be readily available.  After that, the burden is on the app developer to play nicely with the OS.  Looking at it the other way around would wreak havoc on the OS.

Just MHO...

Options

197 Posts

08-31-2010

United States

4 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 72 of 103

2013-03-01, 21:23 PM

null

null

null

I'm curious:  how do you personally define "fully vetted"?  I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm really trying to understand. 

I think that Matt's offer to take a deeper dive after JB has rolled out is generous.  In attempting to solve a problem, I don't really care where the problem lies; finger pointing (it's not my fault, it's his fault) is an enormous waste of resources.  But it seems to me that any investigation as to what's causing the problem must begin with the variables, not the constants, unless the constant is known to have an issue.  The OS must be stable, and documentation/code/whatever on how to program for it must be readily available.  After that, the burden is on the app developer to play nicely with the OS.  Looking at it the other way around would wreak havoc on the OS.

Just MHO...

View original

Well, if each version of Android was tested and fully vetted, there would be no need for the additional bug fix updates that get sent out after the initial, major release.  Correct?  Gingerbread, ICS, JB...if I am not mistaken, all have had subsequent bumps in version numbers to fix various bugs.  I am not a tester, nor a tech expert, but I know it is pretty darn near impossible to release a 100% perfect version of anything. 

And yes, apps should match up to the APIs and make sure they play nice, but developers cannot predict how their app may react when combined with the OS and all the other apps on the market that a user may or may not have.  Some devs are awesome at sending out beta versions to try to capture as much as they can, but you can't catch everything.  Same thing with soak tests.  Moto, as far as this forum is concerned, tests the software on their end.  (I don't know what Verizon does, but it seems like it's just delay everything). The then do a soak test to get feedback, but assuming there are 3000 soak testers, they still cannot provide all the scenarios that 100,000 ultimate end-users will come up against. 

I think what you're saying is that ICS is perfect and we screwed it up by adding apps and that is why there is an issue.  (Overly simplifying here). I don't buy that.  I didn't buy my phone to use it stock out of the box. If I did, I would not get a smartphone.  I should be allowed to buy, use and load apps and not have issues like this.  If an app force closes, or acts weird, or whatever, then I delete the app assuming it's broken. This issue is specific to Play Store app updates.  Is the Play Store broken?  Unlikely.  Why does it do this on some Razrs and not all? No clue. I came here asking if others had the issue (clearly, they do) and if anyone knew of a fix (not identified yet).  Again, if it can be proven all users with the issue have App X, then it's an app, but I have my doubts.

(Wow! That was way more than 2 cents worth, but I just couldn't help it!) surprise

Options

119 Posts

08-17-2010

United States of America

7 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 73 of 103

2013-03-01, 21:41 PM

Add me to the list of folks hoping Jelly Bean fixes the issue.  My previous RAZR MAXX had this problem, then I had to get a replacement device for a different problem, and the "new" RAZR MAXX was fine for about 3 months.  Then it started doing the same thing.  

Most of the time, it's just pretty laggy when downloading a new app or updating old ones.  Sometimes the phone will completely reboot while doing updates (or right after it finishes).  It seems to be slightly better if I reboot the phone manually once every couple of days.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 74 of 103

2013-03-01, 21:59 PM

null

null

null

null

Just MHO...

View original

Well, if each version of Android was tested and fully vetted, there would be no need for the additional bug fix updates that get sent out after the initial, major release.  Correct?  Gingerbread, ICS, JB...if I am not mistaken, all have had subsequent bumps in version numbers to fix various bugs.  I am not a tester, nor a tech expert, but I know it is pretty darn near impossible to release a 100% perfect version of anything. 

And yes, apps should match up to the APIs and make sure they play nice, but developers cannot predict how their app may react when combined with the OS and all the other apps on the market that a user may or may not have.  Some devs are awesome at sending out beta versions to try to capture as much as they can, but you can't catch everything.  Same thing with soak tests.  Moto, as far as this forum is concerned, tests the software on their end.  (I don't know what Verizon does, but it seems like it's just delay everything). The then do a soak test to get feedback, but assuming there are 3000 soak testers, they still cannot provide all the scenarios that 100,000 ultimate end-users will come up against. 

I think what you're saying is that ICS is perfect and we screwed it up by adding apps and that is why there is an issue.  (Overly simplifying here). I don't buy that.  I didn't buy my phone to use it stock out of the box. If I did, I would not get a smartphone.  I should be allowed to buy, use and load apps and not have issues like this.  If an app force closes, or acts weird, or whatever, then I delete the app assuming it's broken. This issue is specific to Play Store app updates.  Is the Play Store broken?  Unlikely.  Why does it do this on some Razrs and not all? No clue. I came here asking if others had the issue (clearly, they do) and if anyone knew of a fix (not identified yet).  Again, if it can be proven all users with the issue have App X, then it's an app, but I have my doubts.

(Wow! That was way more than 2 cents worth, but I just couldn't help it!) surprise

View original

Please, never put words in my mouth.  I've searched this entire thread, and I never said ICS was perfect, nor did I imply it.  I did say that many people are happy with it, which does not imply perfection.  My point is simply that the OS is the constant and the apps are the variables.

I am extremely careful with the words I use. 

Options

391 Posts

06-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 75 of 103

2013-03-01, 22:21 PM

When it comes to reboots on app updates, I wonder how many people have had this happen at least once and didn't think about it.

Thinking back myself, I know I have had it happen at least once, maybe more but it wasn't much of an inconvenience at the time. And, since it didn't keep happening, I chalked it up to "sunspots" or whatever the current "gremlin" excuse is.

It may somehow even play into the issue I've had with the occasional "Application already exists" message that I get on a rare occasion.

So yes, I vote it could be an OS issue. -- Loren

(steps down off of soapbox)

Options

197 Posts

08-31-2010

United States

4 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 76 of 103

2013-03-01, 23:36 PM

null

View original

I think what you're saying is that ICS is perfect and we screwed it up by adding apps and that is why there is an issue.  (Overly simplifying here). 

View original

Please, never put words in my mouth.  I've searched this entire thread, and I never said ICS was perfect, nor did I imply it.  I did say that many people are happy with it, which does not imply perfection.  My point is simply that the OS is the constant and the apps are the variables.

View original

I don't see where I quoted you or put words in your mouth.  You said the constant is the OS and that the issue isn't across the board, so the OS must be ok.  Then I paraphrased. 

Options

29 Posts

03-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 77 of 103

2013-03-02, 0:26 AM

null

I'd like to see if this persists after the upgrade to Jelly Bean. I it does, we can do a deeper dive to for a common factor among phones with this issue.

View original

Cool that is nice to know.   I hope after JB it gets better.  I know sometimes it is had for me to surf the web while an update is going on.  Sometimes it locks up and goes back to normal.  Sometimes it reboots. 

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 78 of 103

2013-03-02, 0:28 AM

null

null

View original

I think what you're saying is that ICS is perfect and we screwed it up by adding apps and that is why there is an issue.  (Overly simplifying here). 

View original

View original

I don't see where I quoted you or put words in your mouth.  You said the constant is the OS and that the issue isn't across the board, so the OS must be ok.  Then I paraphrased. 

View original

The constant is the OS and the apps are the variables does not equal "ICS is perfect" by any stretch of the imagination.  At least not my imagination...
Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 79 of 103

2013-03-02, 10:42 AM

null

null

View original

Ditto!! surprise

I somewhat agree with Dan and Crystallet that Moto (and other manufacturers) can only do so much, but I still beleive this is an OS issue.  Basically what I think is happening is that the OS is experiencing something during updates that causes the processors to get overworked and shuts the phone down as a damage prevention move.  One could argue it isn't the fault of the OS directly, but you can also say if the OS was fully vetted, it "should" play nice.  Again, not all apps are optimized for the various OS versions people have, so I guess it's a difficult, if not impossible goal to achieve. 

If everyone who is experiencing this phenomenon sends in a list of all their apps and a common app or two are on every one of those handsets, then we could say we likely found the culprit(s).  I don't know that this could be done, but it would be worth a try in my opinion and I would volounteer for that. At the moment, I can live with the "issue" as I don't update apps unless I know I don't need to use my phone for about 5 minutes (of course, some apps auto-update and that is out of my control per the settings I chose, but I have found that doesn't usually trigger the problem - it's mostly manually requested updates)

View original

There is only one auto-shutdown function in our phones and that is due to over temperature of the devices.  Any other rebooting or freezing is something entirely different, FYI.     --- Dan

Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 80 of 103

2013-03-02, 11:18 AM

null

When it comes to reboots on app updates, I wonder how many people have had this happen at least once and didn't think about it.

Thinking back myself, I know I have had it happen at least once, maybe more but it wasn't much of an inconvenience at the time. And, since it didn't keep happening, I chalked it up to "sunspots" or whatever the current "gremlin" excuse is.

It may somehow even play into the issue I've had with the occasional "Application already exists" message that I get on a rare occasion.

So yes, I vote it could be an OS issue. -- Loren

(steps down off of soapbox)

View original

My opinion only...anthing that happens only once on a smart phone, regardless of manufacturer wouldn't even be a blip on my radar, it's the nature of the phones with all of the variables tossed into the pile.  I think I asked earlier, but does the "application already exists" only occur when downloading the app from a web browser and not the phone from the Play Store?     --- Dan

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms