Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 61 of 130

Re: SEARCHING FOR GPS IN NAVIGATION

2012-08-02, 23:15 PM

tpeter52 said:

I'm not convinced it's a map problem. I have other apps that use GPS that also fail to lock. I use an app called "GPS status" that plots the satellite locations and signal strength. A peculiar thing is that this app can point out the satellite locations but can't get a lock for many minutes. Never had this issue before ICS. If everything worked before and now it doesn't, it seems logical to look at the last thing that was changed that is common to all the things that stopped working.

When you launch GPS Status, do you have it set to download fresh data automatically?

Options

7 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 62 of 130

2012-08-02, 23:20 PM
Yes, but that setting has not changed since the application was first installed.
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 63 of 130

2012-08-02, 23:39 PM

I'm not suggesting that we have to use workarounds forever, and we still don't know the cause of the GPS issues, but some people have had success toggling BT, and others have not.  If you'll take a look at the GPS Test app in the Play store, one user has had success with that. 

The problems some users are experiencing could have more than one cause.  It's clear that Maps is causing issues on multiple phone models, and the finger also may be pointing at something that happened during the ICS update. 

Until a fix rolls out, though, I hope you can find a workaround that gets you where you need to go safely, and without getting you lost in the process.

It still puzzles me why these issues aren't showing up on everyone's phone, though...(not that I'm not puzzled about a whole lot of other things, too...)

Options

4 Posts

08-01-2012

United States

3 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 64 of 130

2012-08-02, 23:46 PM

I can vouch for the bluetooth solution.  I toggle BT on/off and then turn my GPS on and it locks on satellites within 30 seconds (I verify this by using the GPS Test app).

Options

7 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 65 of 130

2012-08-03, 0:07 AM
Permalink- I agree with what you say. I've tried several of the suggestions here including reset and none have solved my particular issue. These things (phones) are incredibly complex machines and as you pointed out, why phones even of the same model exhibit different results makes identifying the cause even more perplexing. Hopefully some of the bright minds responsible for the development can zero on on a solution in the near term.
Options

16 Posts

05-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 66 of 130

2012-08-03, 0:28 AM

Here is my most recent test.  I powered off my phone.  I restarted it in "Safe Mode."  After it was up and running I launched Navigation.  It took 70 seconds for the voice to start announcing directions.  After the fist lock if I stopped the trip, exsit Navigation,  and then started another one,  the successive one would find the GPS immediately.

I shut off the phone and restarted it normally.  Then I tried Navigation and it took 39 seconds for the directions to start.  As before if I stop the trip and exit Navigation and then start a new trip, the new trip gets a GPS lock immediately. 

I think something is getting hung up and when it happens a timeout has to occur and then something gets reset and then GPS works like normal.

I went into Location services and unchecked "Location & Google search."  I have no idea what this feature adds.  I am going to try running my phone for 24 hours with this unchecked  and see if the "Searching for GPS" issue occurs.  I powered off my phone and started it back up.  I waited a few minutes and tried Navigation.  The voice directions started in seconds.  I will let you know how its working tomorrow.

Options

16 Posts

05-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 67 of 130

2012-08-03, 10:34 AM

Unchecking "Location & Google search" in Location Services didn't fix anything.  

Options

16 Posts

05-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 68 of 130

2012-08-03, 13:16 PM

A comment at: razrforums says the user installed this app: GPS Status & Toolbox,  then with it open (menu) Go to Tools, Then Manage A-GPS State,  Then Reset.

After these steps GPS is fast to lock.  I have only been using my phone for 30 minutes since I tried this tweak.  After 30 minutes I still have fast GPS lock.

Options

119 Posts

08-17-2010

United States of America

7 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 69 of 130

2012-08-03, 14:13 PM

This has been happening to me ever since receiving ICS as well.  I might use GPS about once a week, and over time I have noticed a very clear pattern emerge.  The first time I attempt to Navigate to a location, I get the "Searching for GPS" problem.  At that point, I immediately leave the Navigation App (Menu Button --> Exit Navigation).  I then back completely out of Maps/Places (whereever I starting Navigation) and start over from the beginning.  That second time, Navigation works flawlessly.  I haven't tried any 3rd Party Apps, and I haven't toggled anything.  It just seems like the act of leaving Navigation/Maps and then re-entering the App fixes the lack of GPS lock.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Message 70 of 130

2012-08-03, 14:19 PM

IMHO, GPS Status & Toolbox is a great app, and provides a lot of information we wouldn't otherwise have.  It was extremely useful when I went on a trek through the mountains to scope out a piece of property.  Below the tree line, we had no way of figuring out where we were in relation to the rest of the world; we just followed a dirt road.  By sharing the location, we saw aerial photos of our location, which was really helpful.

As I understand it, the quickest GPS fix will occur when network location services are turned on (Assisted GPS), because GPS will have less work to do to find your exact location; instead of trying to figure out where in the world I am, using your network location, it only has to figure out where in East Podunk I am.

Hope the app turns out to be the workaround that keeps you safe and gets you where you're going without getting lost until a fix is found.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms