Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 71 of 130

Re: SEARCHING FOR GPS IN NAVIGATION

2012-08-03, 15:28 PM

freshmaker said:

This has been happening to me ever since receiving ICS as well.  I might use GPS about once a week, and over time I have noticed a very clear pattern emerge.  The first time I attempt to Navigate to a location, I get the "Searching for GPS" problem.  At that point, I immediately leave the Navigation App (Menu Button --> Exit Navigation).  I then back completely out of Maps/Places (whereever I starting Navigation) and start over from the beginning.  That second time, Navigation works flawlessly.  I haven't tried any 3rd Party Apps, and I haven't toggled anything.  It just seems like the act of leaving Navigation/Maps and then re-entering the App fixes the lack of GPS lock.

Your observation raises a question: when your trip is complete, do you exit Navigation the same way?  When I complete a trip, if I need the phone for something else, I tend to just touch the Home button and launch whatever I need next.  Is that what you do, too?  Or, at the end of the trip do you follow the steps you outlined: Menu->Exit Navigation, and then back out as you described?

What I'm getting at is this: other posts have suggested that when navigation begins, the phone is relying upon cached location data to start the new trip.  That could explain why it's taking so long to get a GPS fix: because the phone thinks you're at Point A when you're really at Point B, and it takes it a while to figure that out.  Some of the workarounds that have helped other users are essentially based on forcing the phone to acquire fresh location data, thereby allowing the phone to return to pre-ICS fix speeds.

Of course, none of this would account for the people who are able to kick GPS into gear by toggling Bluetooth, but it's worth a shot...

Options

16 Posts

05-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 72 of 130

2012-08-03, 15:36 PM

The persons who are toggling Bluetooth may be indirictley doing the same thing because they have to exit Navigation ot toggle Bluetooth.  If they don't exit Navigation (just drag down the notification view) then the Searching for GPS may complete in the background while they are toggling Bluetooth.

Options

119 Posts

08-17-2010

United States of America

7 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 73 of 130

2012-08-03, 15:49 PM

jclake said:

The persons who are toggling Bluetooth may be indirictley doing the same thing because they have to exit Navigation ot toggle Bluetooth.  If they don't exit Navigation (just drag down the notification view) then the Searching for GPS may complete in the background while they are toggling Bluetooth.

That was actually my theory as well.  When you leave the Maps/Places/Navigation app, the phone stops searching for a signal.  If they left the app and the phone stopped searching for a GPS lock maybe they were seeing essentially the same thing I have been seeing; that the phone finds a GPS signal the second time it tries to find one.

For what it's worth, I do typically use Menu-->Exit Navigation when I've reached my destination, but a week or so later when I try to use GPS again, I still see the same problem.  If there is old data cached that is causing the problem getting a lock the first time, Menu--> Exit Navigation definitely doesn't clear the GPS data and make it any better.

Options

142 Posts

04-05-2012

United States of America

27 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 74 of 130

2012-08-03, 15:52 PM

I am one who finds the Bluetooth toggling to work for me, and I do use the Menu>Exit Navigation when I actually get to where I am going, but when I am in distress over not getting a signal, I do often skip that and just use the home button to get to the screen with my Bluetooth toggle. Is that of any assistance? Or is it clear as mud?

Options

119 Posts

08-17-2010

United States of America

7 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 75 of 130

2012-08-03, 18:41 PM

PeninaD said:

I am one who finds the Bluetooth toggling to work for me, and I do use the Menu>Exit Navigation when I actually get to where I am going, but when I am in distress over not getting a signal, I do often skip that and just use the home button to get to the screen with my Bluetooth toggle. Is that of any assistance? Or is it clear as mud?

Makes sense to me.  I assume the Navigation arrow is still up in the notification tray while you are toggling Bluetooth, right?  Is that how you hop back into Navigation, or are you long-pressing home to get back into Navigation?  My method causes the GPS indicator to completely disappear from the notification tray, but if hopping out of Navigation, toggling Bluetooth, and then hopping back in accomplishes the same thing without having to start over, it would certainly be quicker than starting again from scratch and having to re-search for my desired destination.

Options

142 Posts

04-05-2012

United States of America

27 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 76 of 130

2012-08-03, 21:07 PM

Fresh, I hop in and out to toggle the bluetooth, the Nav arrow is still in the tray...but as I said, I do exit nav when I get where I am going, and then the next time I open Nav (or Job Tracker, or GeoVerify), I again need to play toggle games to get a GPS lock.

Options

32 Posts

07-02-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 77 of 130

2012-08-05, 2:50 AM

So frustrated by thisI have tried toggling the bluetooth, downloaded gps status, and gps test. Nothing helps, still takes Minutes to lock instead of seconds. Everybody on the internet screaming for the promised ICS update that they rushed it out the door to satisfy a stupid deadline instead of admitting that it just wasn't ready yet. Now we have phones that have broken features. Don't get me wrong ICS is very cool and I am seriously digging the new webtop experience. It just needed more testing time before the full OTA happened. Hopfully they manage to squash these bugs soon on it's going to be a long 18 months I have left on this upgrade cycle.

Options

9 Posts

06-23-2012

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 78 of 130

2012-08-06, 15:48 PM

I have the same issue. Please fix ASAP Moto!

Options

148 Posts

11-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 79 of 130

2012-08-06, 15:57 PM
The problem with the GPS is ICS cause I've done 2 factory resets since ICS and it still takes a couple minutes or better to lock and that outside in the open. With gb it always took a few seconds to lock on GPS and I have the same apps that I did with gb and it still takes a few minutes instead of seconds since ICS.
Options

7 Posts

06-23-2012

United States

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 80 of 130

2012-08-07, 4:57 AM

Folks,

I had this exact same problem.  And I am 100% certain the problems is ics.  My wife and I purchased razr maxx phones at the same time.  Both use gps extensively and both had no problem originally and then got the "gps searching" as soon as we each upgraded to ics.  We've also found our problem went away completely after installing the $2 app called gps doctor.  We tried all the resets, memeory wipes etc with no luck but the $2 app fixed the problem.  We've been using it over a week now since installing the app and seems to be a permanent solution.  I think we should get a credit from Mororola for the app that fixes their phone!

Hope this helps

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms