07-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 13

What does the white light LED mean?

2012-07-23, 13:51 PM

We have seen several Razr and Razr Maxx devices that show nothing but a white light indicator where there should be a green charging indicator.  The phone won't come on at all no matter how long you charge the devices.  The phones are being charged overnight with Motorola chargers, but the white light never goes off and the phone won't come back on.  Does anyone know exactly what the "white light" is indicating?

Options

1297 Posts

12-09-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 13

Re: What does the white light LED mean?

2012-07-23, 14:00 PM

There is no green charging light that I am aware of on the Droid Razr or Droid Razr Maxx. The white light generally means you let the battery discharge completely (which should never be done if at all possible). Make sure it is plugged into the wall charger not a USB port.

Also - are these the chargers that came with the phone (not just a Moto charger - but one that came with the Razr/Razr MAXX).

Make sure it is plugged into an outlet not controlled by a light switch (has happened). Try plugging into different outlet. Will need to charge for at least an hour or so before you will be able to turn back on.

As a rule - you should not let the phone (if possible) discharge below 20-30%. I never let mine go below 40%. Li-ION batteries do not need to go through charge/discharge protocols as older Ni-Cd batteries did. There is no memory to train. ALSO - the longer you have to have the phone on a charger (actively charging), the more heat it generates, and heat can be detrimental to Li-ION batteries (decreased life-span).

Options

16 Posts

12-08-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2012-07-23, 17:34 PM

grandsport said:

There is no green charging light that I am aware of on the Droid Razr or Droid Razr Maxx. The white light generally means you let the battery discharge completely (which should never be done if at all possible). Make sure it is plugged into the wall charger not a USB port.

FWIW,  I got my Razr when it first came out. Before the first OTA, the LED defiinitely lit up when charging. It may have been green or white. I don't remember, but it defintiely lit up. Since that original update, it has never come back.

Options

1297 Posts

12-09-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2012-07-23, 18:31 PM

darrin987 said:

grandsport said:

FWIW,  I got my Razr when it first came out. Before the first OTA, the LED defiinitely lit up when charging. It may have been green or white. I don't remember, but it defintiely lit up. Since that original update, it has never come back.

Got mine on March 23rd (Razr Maxx) - and never had a charging light. Maybe was on the Razr and removed before MAXX came out...or before I got mine.

Options

16 Posts

12-08-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2012-07-23, 19:26 PM

grandsport said:

darrin987 said:

grandsport said:

Got mine on March 23rd (Razr Maxx) - and never had a charging light. Maybe was on the Razr and removed before MAXX came out...or before I got mine.

It was well before the end of March. An update around January removed it.

Options

738 Posts

02-06-2012

United States

3 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 6 of 13

2012-07-23, 20:10 PM

Yes, from what I remember the RAZR's on .744 had the charging light.

As for the OP...I have to ask, are you trying to turn it on?  It's not like older phones that boot up as soon as you plug it in, nor will it boot up by itself when fully charged.  The white light is normal for a dead phone(as in the battery has been depleted) which will then charge.  Idk if you're trying to sell used phones but you might also have the possibility of bricked phones, but I/we would need more info to determine that.

Options

2 Posts

07-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2012-07-27, 20:34 PM

In all cases, the phones that we get calls on are from reps. that have a customer that cannot get the phone to come on or charge.  They have just completed the ICS update, make a call usually, the phone dies even though it was charged the night before, and the phone never comes back on.  When the phone gets plugged in to a wall charger there is no white LED, but when plugged in to the USB there is a white LED.  I do appreciate all of the responses.  We have started telling people to charge the phone with a motorola specific charger for an hour or more to see if the device will come on.  

Options

12354 Posts

02-02-2016

US

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 8 of 13

2012-07-27, 20:47 PM

I have also read posts in other places that say that once the phone exhibits the white LED, it needs a couple of full charge/discharge cycles to get back in condition.  I know our batteries don't need training, but those full cycles are supposed to do a world of good after the white light of death.

Options

15 Posts

04-15-2013

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2013-06-18, 19:33 PM

Any updates on this, my phone is totally dead, won't do a thing nor charge. White LED present when connected to PC, no LED's when connected into wall charger. Prior to this since Jelly Bean update phone has never accepted full charge, 20. 40, 60% but no pattern to how much juice it would accept from one day to the next.

Options

13984 Posts

02-02-2016

US

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 10 of 13

2013-06-19, 16:46 PM

Juice370 said:

Any updates on this, my phone is totally dead, won't do a thing nor charge. White LED present when connected to PC, no LED's when connected into wall charger. Prior to this since Jelly Bean update phone has never accepted full charge, 20. 40, 60% but no pattern to how much juice it would accept from one day to the next.

View original

I tested with my RAZR MAXX last night.

With the device OFF, if I start to insert the charger (plugged into a power strip--not a computer) the white LED will light up.  Once the charger is fully seated in the charging port, the white LED will turn off.  While charging, the white LED does not light up.

It is almost as if the white LED only lights up to recognize that the microUSB port is connecting...once the device and the charging source are connected, the white LED turns off.

Anybody else have anything to add about what the white LED indicates???

If your device does not accept a full charge, diagnostics should be done on the device.  The nearest Verizon store should be able to do this.

It isn't often that an app intereferes with battery issues, so will skip the standard Safe Mode test recommendation.  More than likely, diagnosticians and/or Motorola Repair would do a factory data reset (this wipes your device, takes it back to the out-of-the-box conditions...you will want to BACK UP EVERYTHING prior to giving your device to either entity) to see if that improves performance.

If your device qualifies under the one year warranty, Moto may be able to repair the device for no cost.  If your device is out of warranty, contact Moto Repair for a cost estimate.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete