Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GunnyGee
What's DOS?
Views: 1,938
Message 1 of 23

DROID RAZR - MY PHOTOS ARE LOST

I don't know exactly what happened, but I had many pictures stored on my SD card dating back over a year ago. When I open "my galery" only photos taken after August 8, 2012 are visible.

Using the application "My Files" I see there are 3 folders listed under "SD Card".

1. .GeoTagTempDir ( zero items)

2. dcim ( zero items)

3. LOST.DIR (256 items)

I think my photos are in the "LOST.DIR". None of these fles can be opened and range in size between 16kb - 2816 kb.

I don't know what happened to my pictures and think this folder is where they are.

My internal phone storage shows that I have 61 photos with the earliest photo listing 8/8/12 date.

Any help searching for and locating my lost photos would be greatly appreciated.......Gary 

dequardo
Token Ring
Message 2 of 23

Re: DROID RAZR - MY PHOTOS ARE LOST

Can you get access to a card adapter and try to read them on a computer?

Nanniepoo
802.11n
Message 3 of 23

I don't think you'd even need a card adapter...just plug your phone into your comp and navigate to the folder.

SteveMBtech
Token Ring
Message 4 of 23

Also backup assistant should start as soon as you plug the phone in and will open the files and will also ask if you want to transfer them to your computer
GunnyGee
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 23

I can find more photos by using the pc\cord and searching for all JPG files, but most are in the H:\dcim\.thumbnail\ folder. These are much smaller file size, since I took all my pictures in 6Mb settings.

ItsMe
Token Ring
Message 6 of 23

the thumbnails are created by the gallery app.  I wouldn't bother with those.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 7 of 23

This won't get back your photos that are lost, but I have had lost photos on my DX and DX2. What I did was to use DropBox to sync my photos online. This way as soon as I take a picture it will sync that photo to DropBox where it is safe.

I no longer trust any phone to keep my photos safe. There are other services that will do the same thing. You just need to find one that you like.

Have you looked in the DCIM folder that is in the sdcard-ext drive? That is the location of the external SD card. Did the card possibly get unmounted? This would be one avenue to check as well. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

chadwick17
Token Ring
Message 8 of 23

joelbon said:

This won't get back your photos that are lost, but I have had lost photos on my DX and DX2. What I did was to use DropBox to sync my photos online. This way as soon as I take a picture it will sync that photo to DropBox where it is safe.

I no longer trust any phone to keep my photos safe. There are other services that will do the same thing. You just need to find one that you like.

Have you looked in the DCIM folder that is in the sdcard-ext drive? That is the location of the external SD card. Did the card possibly get unmounted? This would be one avenue to check as well. Hope this helps.

While this is a great suggestion (I used to do the same with Google Drive), it is not so great if you're on a tiered data plan (which I am now). I take a lot of photos with my phone and if I were to have auto upload on I'm assuming I would tear through a good chunk of my data. If you're still on an unlimited plan then this works beautifully.

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 9 of 23

chadwick17 said:

joelbon said:

While this is a great suggestion (I used to do the same with Google Drive), it is not so great if you're on a tiered data plan (which I am now). I take a lot of photos with my phone and if I were to have auto upload on I'm assuming I would tear through a good chunk of my data. If you're still on an unlimited plan then this works beautifully.

You are absolutely right. DropBox also has a feature that will allow you to upload your photos only when connected to wifi. This would protect your data plan from getting used and all you have to do is get connected to wifi.

You could also just connect to your computer and sync your photos on a regular basis. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

GunnyGee
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 23

Sounds like good suggestions to prevent me from loosing them in the future.

I just don't know what could have happened to a large chunk of my photos without me knowingly doing something. Does Moto do anything automatically with the photos when you plug into your PC?

Its strange that I only lost photos taken before August 8.