Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skyline1
What's DOS?
Views: 672
Message 1 of 10

Micro SD card problems

Hello,

I connected the phone to my computer via USB, and uploaded a fair amount of pictures and music to my sd card.  When I viewed the pictures, most of them appeared to be corrupted, or simply not fully uploaded.  When I viewed the pictures, they had a ton of horizontal color lines throughout the majority of the picture. 

Also, the music that I uploaded would have blips at random points throughout the song.  In addition, the album art would not display even though I have it embedded into the file.

I tried uploading the pictures to the internal storage instead of the sd card and everything worked perfectly.  Then, out of curiousity, I used the phone menus to move one of the pictures from the internal storage to the sd card, and that also worked well.

Is this likely a bad sd card or could there be something else going on here?

Thanks!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 10

Re: Micro SD card problems

if it were me i would use the RAZR to format the card then transfer my stuff back again.

please let us know if that works.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 10

When you said you moved one of the pics from the internal storage to the SD card, did you move it to the sdcard or the sdcard-ext? The sdcard is actually the on board SD card and sdcard-ext is the removeable SD card. This can be confusing. When I have my phone connected to the computer and in USB storage mode the internal SD card will me named "MOT". This should tell you which is which.

About your problem, I would try mounting the phone to the computer, moving all files you want to save to the computer, format the SD card, move the saved files back, unmount the phone and test to see if that helps.

If you don't see any improvement than do you have another SD card that you could use to test with? Maybe try a different card and see if the problems go away. It would be nice to isolate this to the SD card or phone. I am leaning toward the SD card that might be bad. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

skyline1
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I will try both of these things tonight.

When I said I moved a picture from internal to the sd card, I meant from the sd card to the sd card ext.  The picture displayed properly when I tried this.

When I moved the files from the computer straight to the sd card ext, then the files were not displaying properly. 

skyline1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

Well, I formatted the SD card and tried again with exactly the same results.  About half of the pictures were fine and the other half were corrupted.

I'm leaning towards it being a bad SD card, but I don't have any others to experiment with, so I really don't know. 

DansDroid Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 6 of 10

skyline wrote:

Well, I formatted the SD card and tried again with exactly the same results.  About half of the pictures were fine and the other half were corrupted.

I'm leaning towards it being a bad SD card, but I don't have any others to experiment with, so I really don't know. 

Skyline, please try this recommendation:  Remove your microSD card from your phone, ensure the contacts are completely clean, and then carefully re-seat the card, ensuring that it's alignment is perfect and it is fully seated.  After you have done this, then try again to format your card and copy your pictures or create a few new ones for this test.  Please report your findings to the forum.  --- Dan

skyline1
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 10

Thanks, Dan.

I tried your suggestion this morning, but am still getting the same results.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 8 of 10

There are two identical threads going on here. Locking this one -- please use this one to carry on. Thanks.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
HaronFor3
What's DOS?
Views: 616
Message 9 of 10

Hello,

From my experiences, no matter what type of SD card errors you do have faced, merely extract this SD card out from your original card reader safely and attach it to your computer with another card reader, adaptor or the likes to have another try.

Honestly, last time, after connecting my SD card to my android cell phone, the phone just kept reporting: "insert SD card", however, I did have plunged this card, right? So, I did plunge it to my PC and found it was in RAW format and also needed to be formatted. So, and then, I did resolve its problems by reading this: https://www.icare-recovery.com/howto/sd-card.html

So, I guess, in your case, it could also be a problem of your phone. Go try it on your PC to take chances.

HaronFor3
What's DOS?
Views: 615
Message 10 of 10

Hello,

From my experiences, no matter what type of SD card errors you do have faced, merely extract this SD card out from your original card reader safely and attach it to your computer with another card reader, adaptor or the likes to have another try.

Honestly, last time, after connecting my SD card to my android cell phone, the phone just kept reporting: "insert SD card", however, I did have plunged this card, right? So, I did plunge it to my PC and found it was in RAW format and also needed to be formatted. So, and then, I did resolve its problems by reading this: https://www.icare-recovery.com/howto/sd-card.html

So, I guess, in your case, it could also be a problem of your phone. Go try it on your PC to take chances.