Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Highlighted
What's DOS?
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎07-22-2012
Location: United States
Message 1 of 41 (218 Views)

Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx

My Droid Razr Maxx was having some strange battery issues.  Occasionally the battery level would drop about 30% instaneously.  Furthermore, the phone seems really sluggish.  This phone had these problems from day one and I thought that it was an app that I installed that was causing the problems.   To make a long story short I couldn't pin point a problematic app and so I sent the phone to Motorola for repairs. After almost a week, they finally got back to me and said that the phone had water damage and they couldn't do anything for me.  I never dropped my phone in liquid or dropped liquid on my phone.  How could there be liquid damage?  Could liquid damage be respnonsible for the problems I've described (for a more thorough discussion of my phone's problems see my other posting)?  Do I have any recourse in a situation like this, where Motorola claims there is liquid damage (they've yet to provide proof) and I know I never exposed my phone to liquid?  Please help!!

Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 11,130
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: United States
Message 2 of 41 (218 Views)

Re: Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx

There's a sensor in the phone.  If the sensor is tripped (changes color or whatever it does), then the phone has experienced water damage.  The sensor is Moto repair's indication that the phone came in contact with liquid, and they don't have the leeway, I would think to say that the sensor is faulty.


You're telling us that the phone never got wet.  Therefore, I would contact Motorola again and see if you can't escalate this higher.  Just keep firmly and politely insisting that you want to speak to a supervisor, a manager, a department head...just keep going until you find someone who will listen.


We've heard some horror stories here about some repair center supervisors.  Be strong, be polite, and gather up all the patience you have.  


I wish you luck...really!  

Bit Torrent
Posts: 4,261
Registered: ‎09-08-2010
Location: United States
Message 3 of 41 (218 Views)

Re: Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx


crystallet said:

There's a sensor in the phone.


 If the sensor is tripped (changes color or whatever it does), then the phone has experienced water damage.  


The sensor is Moto repair's indication that the phone came in contact with liquid, and they don't have the leeway, I would think to say that the sensor is faulty.


You're telling us that the phone never got wet.  Therefore, I would contact Motorola again and see if you can't escalate this higher.  Just keep firmly and politely insisting that you want to speak to a supervisor, a manager, a department head...just keep going until you find someone who will listen.


We've heard some horror stories here about some repair center supervisors.  Be strong, be polite, and gather up all the patience you have.  


I wish you luck...really!  



 


The little white and red areas on the water damage button will run together if they are moistened.


Even a little blending of the two color areas will qualify as water damage... Surprised

Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 15,409
Registered: ‎02-03-2016
Location: United States
Message 4 of 41 (218 Views)

Re: Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx

There isn't a way for the user to check the water damage sensors. At least, not on the Razr. The Razr is not intended to be taken apart by the end user.


One thing that you could try is to call Verizon and explain the situation you are having with the phone and see if they will replace. That might work. Worth a shot maybe. Good luck to you.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Moto Sr Moderator
Posts: 11,130
Registered: ‎02-02-2016
Location: United States
Message 5 of 41 (218 Views)

Re: Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx

Thanks for the pic, JB. I wondered what that nasty little sucker looked like. :-)
Bit Torrent
Posts: 4,261
Registered: ‎09-08-2010
Location: United States
Message 6 of 41 (218 Views)

Re: Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx


joelbon said:

There isn't a way for the user to check the water damage sensors.


 At least, not on the Razr. The Razr is not intended to be taken apart by the end user.



 Good point... No disassembly required or permitted...



crystallet said:

Thanks for the pic, JB.


I wondered what that nasty little sucker looked like. :-)



 But for the curious:


http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-RAZR-Teardown/7048/1


 


first image


Don't Try this at home...

What's DOS?
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎07-22-2012
Location: United States
Message 7 of 41 (218 Views)

Re: Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx

Thank you everyone for your input and encouragement.  I don't know which of the two liquid damage indicators was affected as Motorola hasn't yet shown me any proof about this.  Furthermore, did you notice on the ifixit website ( http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-RAZR-Teardown/7048/1) how one of the inidicators is just inside the power button extemely close to the edge?  It seems like it is designed to be affected by even small amounts of moisture (read: sweaty hands).  In fact ifixit.com wrote " We recommend not sweating while holding this phone, as that indicator is mighty close to the edge!"  I don't think my phone's problems have anything to do with liquid damage but Motorola seems to have designed their phone to easily void my warranty!!  This is my first and last Motorola phone.

802.11n
Posts: 267
Registered: ‎10-13-2011
Location: United States
Message 8 of 41 (218 Views)

Re: Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx

I do not know what area you live in, but I have known other people who had phones warranty voided by mfgs (several, not just Moto) due to moisture. In several cases it was simply the humid climate that tripped the moisture pads. It appears theRazr has two indicators, I would hope they would require BOTH to be showing moisture exposure before denying warranty. I do not know if they do, I would hope so in fairness.


As suggested, keep contacting Moto, escalate, calmly, politely and hopefully they will make good for you. Also, contact Verizon as well and do the same. Perhaps you can get this worked out.

What's DOS?
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
Location: Sweden
Message 9 of 41 (218 Views)

Re: Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx


Diehlicious said:

Thank you everyone for your input and encouragement.  I don't know which of the two liquid damage indicators was affected as Motorola hasn't yet shown me any proof about this.  Furthermore, did you notice on the ifixit website ( http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-RAZR-Teardown/7048/1) how one of the inidicators is just inside the power button extemely close to the edge?  It seems like it is designed to be affected by even small amounts of moisture (read: sweaty hands).  In fact ifixit.com wrote " We recommend not sweating while holding this phone, as that indicator is mighty close to the edge!"  I don't think my phone's problems have anything to do with liquid damage but Motorola seems to have designed their phone to easily void my warranty!!  This is my first and last Motorola phone.



 I don't think they designed it that way to purposfully void your warranty by sweaty hands, but rather the explination lies in the fact that the RAZR is splash-resistant (not "splas-proof" or "water-proof"... "resistant")


Basically the phone's body is protected against liquids. its weak-points lie in the USB port, HDMI port and around the seams of the power button and volume rocker (possibly speaker and mics also). Therefor, if you dropped your phone in water, this is where water would enter, and this is where the moisture sticker would have to be located. having it placed in a deep, impenetrable part of the phone would be pointless, as users could submerge the phone, kill it, and it still wouldn't trip the sticker.


 


edit: and simply tripping the sticker (i.e by "sweaty hands") wouldn't do anything to the hardware. you could open the phone, dab the sticker with a poist Q-tip to trip and it would still leave the hardware unaffected. the moist sticker is in no way tied to your hardware. OP hardware is seemingly faulty, and it has a tipped moist sticker. It's hard to tell if they are correlated without deep examination, but I doubt anyone could kill the phone by simply having sweaty hands. So something else probably happened to the phone

Bit Torrent
Posts: 4,261
Registered: ‎09-08-2010
Location: United States
Message 10 of 41 (218 Views)

Re: Purported Water Damage- Droid Razr Maxx


Cirap said:

 I don't think they designed it that way to purposefully void your warranty by sweaty hands, but rather the explanation lies in the fact that the RAZR is splash-resistant (not "splash-proof" or "water-proof"... "resistant")


Basically the phone's body is protected against liquids. its weak-points lie in the USB port, HDMI port and around the seams of the power button and volume rocker (possibly speaker and mics also). Therefor, if you dropped your phone in water, this is where water would enter, and this is where the moisture sticker would have to be located. having it placed in a deep, impenetrable part of the phone would be pointless, as users could submerge the phone, kill it, and it still wouldn't trip the sticker.


 


edit: and simply tripping the sticker (i.e by "sweaty hands") wouldn't do anything to the hardware.


you could open the phone, dab the sticker with a poist Q-tip to trip and it would still leave the hardware unaffected.


the moist sticker is in no way tied to your hardware.


OP hardware is seemingly faulty, and it has a tipped moist sticker.


It's hard to tell if they are correlated without deep examination, but I doubt anyone could kill the phone by simply having sweaty hands.


So something else probably happened to the phone



 


Moisture sensors are merely a manufacturers way of concretely confirming moisture exposure, not necessarily damage.


Given their situation, Moto is highly motivated to identify customer abuse/damage, in an effort to reduce its' warranty exposure.


Years ago, my wife's flip phone razr's began to physically disintegrate, so we went to VZ to see what they would do about it.


They removed the battery cover, and said the phone would not be covered under warranty as the moisture sensor was tripped.


I explained to my wife (loudly enough to guarantee that the VZ rep could hear), that "as your contract has expired, you could now move to an IPhone" (then only available at ATT).


Surprise, surprise, they decided to give her a new phone... Wink