Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D_K_
What's DOS?
Views: 988
Message 41 of 63

Re: SD card encryption issue?

appyface said:

Seems I'm stuck in that proverbial spot between the rock and the hard place...

Not sure what your issue is... Seems like all your goals can be reached.

Yes you can encrypt files on SD card so they are not readable in another device.

Yes you can copy files from SD card in unencrypted form to an exteranal storage. Use MTP to back them up to PC or use any FTP/HTTP backup utilities you have.

Yes you can copy unencrypted files back onto SD card so they become encrypted again. Just use MTP transfer mode, not Mass Storage (of course you have to insert the card into the phone and tether the phone to PC)

And also, you can use your encrypted SD card in different (compatible) phone if you use "Password" as encryption key protection method.

p.s. Also as foxkat demonstrated in the test above, you cannot decrypt files using general purpose decryption utilities and your password. That means that apparently password is not used directly but is strengthened in some way before it is applied. Which reduces the chances of data being read from the card if attacker doesn't have your phone. Even if your password was weak.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 42 of 63

To me, it sound like the only way to ensure that your files will be available if the phone dies is to copy the files somewhere else BEFORE any encryption occurs.  Earlier posts in this thread suggested that files were decrypted on the fly when copied to a PC.  Foxcat's experiements suggest otherwise.

techwhiz
Token Ring
Message 43 of 63

My suggestion, and it is after the fact, is to only encrypt the phone memory and make sure you keep photos and such on the SD card unencrypted.

I don't keep very much sensitive information on my phone though. 

appyface
What's DOS?
Message 44 of 63

D.K. said:

I'm satisfied by using encryption with just a password, my data is quite likely safe if my phone is lost, stolen, or cannot be reset for some reason. So of my four goals, that one is covered.

My issue? My other three goals I've not been able to achieve:  1) Routinely back up encrypted files to off-phone location in unencrypted state (and of course be able to restore from there) 2) At-will copy encrypted files to off-phone location in unencrypted state -- this would be to save something important between backups, or email a file to someone, etc.; 3) Copy unencrypted files to the SD card and have them be encrypted (I can do this by saving an email attachment within the phone but that's all).

You've written I can do these three things, but I have not found a way yet...

I know it is a lot to ask, but would you please give me, step by step, what I need to do to achieve any/all of them?  Along with the specific hardware/software I need?  I'm well and truly stuck...  Thanks in advance for your help.

D_K_
What's DOS?
Message 45 of 63

appyface said:

D.K. said:

I'm satisfied by using encryption with just a password, my data is quite likely safe if my phone is lost, stolen, or cannot be reset for some reason. So of my four goals, that one is covered.

My issue? My other three goals I've not been able to achieve:  1) Routinely back up encrypted files to off-phone location in unencrypted state (and of course be able to restore from there) 2) At-will copy encrypted files to off-phone location in unencrypted state -- this would be to save something important between backups, or email a file to someone, etc.; 3) Copy unencrypted files to the SD card and have them be encrypted (I can do this by saving an email attachment within the phone but that's all).

I know it is a lot to ask, but would you please give me, step by step, what I need to do to achieve any/all of them?  Along with the specific hardware/software I need?  I'm well and truly stuck...  Thanks in advance for your help.

It's not a lot to ask, because I have the phone in front of me right now..

The biggest problem is that I do not have any "specific" steps, I'm just doing what I need Smiley Happy.

So I have DROID RAZR MAXX with  6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M2-5 software.

I went into Settings->Location&Security->Data encryption, checked the Storage checkmark. Selected Password in Encryption Key Type.

1) I have Box installed which backs up my files to the cloud. Also I can upload my pics/videos to Picasa and YouTube. Everything uploaded from the device is accessible in the cloud via PC in plain text form.

2) I can connect the phone to PC, select Windows Media Sync in the status bar. After that I can see all content of SD card on PC in "My Computer->DROID RAZR->Removable disk". I can open it directly from the card or I can copy it to my PC. It is not encrypted as viewed by PC.

3) I copied a picture from my PC onto the phone via MTP. Then I switched to USB Mass Storage mode, and now the file cannot be opened (because it's encrypted). I disconnect the phone and use Files app to browse to that picture on the phone itself. It opens pefectly.

One funny thing here though, when phone is connected via MTP seems that both internal media storage and SD card are combined together and are shown as one device. So when I copy files from PC to that device they actually show up in the internal storage, rather than SD card. Well, you can always move them if you want. But weird.

So if you and/or foxkat do not see the same happening on your phone, it could be some kind of bug. Works on mine.

FoxKat
Token Ring
Message 46 of 63

D.K. said:

appyface said:

D.K. said:

It's not a lot to ask, because I have the phone in front of me right now..

The biggest problem is that I do not have any "specific" steps, I'm just doing what I need Smiley Happy.

So I have DROID RAZR MAXX with  6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M2-5 software.

I went into Settings->Location&Security->Data encryption, checked the Storage checkmark. Selected Password in Encryption Key Type.

1) I have Box installed which backs up my files to the cloud. Also I can upload my pics/videos to Picasa and YouTube. Everything uploaded from the device is accessible in the cloud via PC in plain text form.

2) I can connect the phone to PC, select Windows Media Sync in the status bar. After that I can see all content of SD card on PC in "My Computer->DROID RAZR->Removable disk". I can open it directly from the card or I can copy it to my PC. It is not encrypted as viewed by PC.

3) I copied a picture from my PC onto the phone via MTP. Then I switched to USB Mass Storage mode, and now the file cannot be opened (because it's encrypted). I disconnect the phone and use Files app to browse to that picture on the phone itself. It opens pefectly.

One funny thing here though, when phone is connected via MTP seems that both internal media storage and SD card are combined together and are shown as one device. So when I copy files from PC to that device they actually show up in the internal storage, rather than SD card. Well, you can always move them if you want. But weird.

So if you and/or foxkat do not see the same happening on your phone, it could be some kind of bug. Works on mine.

Very helpful info and now I will try to reproduce this because (as you likely saw) I couldn't get the data decrypted over to the PC no matter what method of transfer I used.

appyface
What's DOS?
Message 47 of 63

Thank you, D.K. 

What is "MTP"?  I don't know if I've tried that since I don't know what that is :-)

I now understand why you've been able to move files to unencrypted state, you're using apps on your phone that use the OS to read and decrypt the files for them. Speaking only fo myself, I don't want to involve any 3rd parties in my files, so no Picasa, Youtube, Box, etc. for me.

I look forward to hearing what foxkat can glean from this information.

Thank you, both of you, for your help and time spent.

anasazii
What's DOS?
Message 48 of 63

hello all....eaccents has kindly brought this post to my attention...I'm hoping maybe you can help?

I started this post earlier today, https://forums.motorola.com/posts/c9dcc4b581?start=1&stop=15#608123, as I was having issues viewing my photos on my computer, and frankly getting quite frustrated.  I can view them fine on my phone, but when I try transfering them to my laptop (In any way - usb mass storage, windows media sync, motocast sync), they transfer ok, but I am unable to view them on the laptop.  I get a corruption error.  (in Windows Photo Viewer) 

With the help of eaccents, I have determined that since I had linked up my company email account, it caused the Storage Data Encryption option to be turned ON (so a reset can be done in case gets stolen, etc).  Yay.  I've removed the email account and turned off the Encryption, but it seems that it only affects files going forward.  Is there ANY ANY ANY way to get this danged encryption removed on these files?  I have about 425 photos and movies that I would really like to get transferred over to my laptop! 
The encryption key was set to Password.

Right now about the only way I've managed to do it is to email them to myself...and I'm really not looking forward to having to do that for all these files!

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!
Janel

treet007
What's DOS?
Message 49 of 63

Janel, try the following to get your photos to your laptop:

1. Connect the phone to the laptop via USB.

2. Set the phone to "PC Mode", not "USB Storage". It is usually the first selection in the notification bar (just scroll up).

3. Let the laptop run through the driver installation process.

4. In the "PC Mode" screen on the laptop, select "Import Photos..."

That should allow you to import the photos into the laptop. Please let us know if it succeeds (or not).

BTW to everyone else who posted on this thread, THANK YOU. I called Motorola Tech Support, and Level 2 could not explain to me why I am not able to decrypt the files from my Droid 3. Now I understand why and do not plan on using the Storage Encryption in the future.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 50 of 63

treet007 said:

Janel, try the following to get your photos to your laptop:

1. Connect the phone to the laptop via USB.

2. Set the phone to "PC Mode", not "USB Storage". It is usually the first selection in the notification bar (just scroll up).

3. Let the laptop run through the driver installation process.

4. In the "PC Mode" screen on the laptop, select "Import Photos..."

That should allow you to import the photos into the laptop. Please let us know if it succeeds (or not).

BTW to everyone else who posted on this thread, THANK YOU. I called Motorola Tech Support, and Level 2 could not explain to me why I am not able to decrypt the files from my Droid 3. Now I understand why and do not plan on using the Storage Encryption in the future.

This is a great idea.  

We need to know if the transfer process will unencrypt the files so please let us know if it works!

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."