Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treet007
What's DOS?
Views: 964
Message 51 of 63

Re: SD card encryption issue?

Hi there. I did my own round of testing. Results are attached. Android 4 ICS was supposed to be rolled out for the Razr Maxx yesterday, so I was going to do the same encryption testing on ICS. Unfortunately, ICS was delayed (again).

In summary (for Android 2.3.4 data encryption implementation): The PC Mode import works in importing encrypted photos and videos from the smartphone to the PC (or Mac, I presume) and decrypts at the same time. However, PC Mode does not support importing data files. The only way I have found to "back up" the data files in an unencrypted state is to backup the smartphone to a 3rd-party backup cloud service, like Rerware My Backup Pro. Backing up to the local SD card when it is in an encrypted state just creates an encrypted backup set, totally usuable for smartphone restore (from Factory Reset or physical replacement).

I still would like to do the same tests on ICS when it is available for the Razr Maxx. These tests will cost me a dinner since it is my wife's phone, and I will have to do a Factory Reset (with everything erased) to see if the full restore actually worked correctly. If the restore fails, it will cost me more Cool

Your mileage may vary, though, so I would encourage others to test in order to verify results.

jrubins
What's DOS?
Message 52 of 63

Ok, here's how you fix this and get your images, videos, or other data off your motorola device (I'm using a MoPho -Photon 4g, YMMV)

You have to switch off encryption of the phone, which means removing your CORP account (if you have one, my corp exchange rules require an encryption) .

Then copy all of your images from one location to another on the phone using the 'files' app (multi select using the menu button, then select all using the menu button, then find a new location and copy the files there)

Then you can copy the images from the phone (the new location of the copied files) to the computer en masse using usb disk mode or my motocast http://www.mymotocast.com/download

Hope that helps,

James

dontremember
What's DOS?
Message 53 of 63

I was googling for sdcard encryption earlier and came across this really excellent thread.  Thanks to all that researched and speculated on this topic!

I think I read it all, but I may have missed the answer to this one question: when setting up encryption, do you see a "three strikes and you lose" option?

I've been fooling around with encryption keys on smart cards, and it sounds like the phone is working similarly - you generate an encryption key on the smart card and secure it with a pin/passphrase.  The pin number unlocks the storage area holding the real AES256 bit key.  Decryptions happens on the card, and the key can never be copied from the card.  If you lose the card, or the key is wiped, you lose anything encrypted with that key. It's actually a bit more complicated, but that's essentially what happens.

The "3 strike" thing I'm wondering about is for the (possibly) ridiculously short pin.  In the smart card, if you get the pin wrong 3 times, you are locked out of the card.  You then have to use a Security Officer pin to either unlock or replace the user pin, to get another 3 tries.  Presumably the SO pin is more complicated than 4 digits.  Has anyone seen the same kind of thing with phone encryption pins?  If so, that should take care of a thief entering 0000 - 9999 to try to unlock the encrypted data.

navi7512
What's DOS?
Message 54 of 63

About this topic, i found something interesting:

My RAZZR was running GB and decided to do a device+password encryption (yes, i failed), after some time i noted the phone a little slow and removed the encryption. Shortly after that i updated to ICS and the phone still slow ... so i decided to do a FDR .... and when the phone booted again the external SD card was unreadable. Connected the phone to a PC to format .... and nothing, the card still unreadable and CANT be formated.

After some messing around with some tools the card was just lost, was not even able to format. At that point i decided to remove the card from phone and put in another phone (xperia V running GB) just to see .... and the card was mounted and  could see the files from before the encryption and the ones added after encryption, did a backup from what i wanted and was finally able to format the SD card.

Hope this help to somebody trapped by this poor implementation.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 55 of 63

navi7512 said:

About this topic, i found something interesting:

My RAZZR was running GB and decided to do a device+password encryption (yes, i failed), after some time i noted the phone a little slow and removed the encryption. Shortly after that i updated to ICS and the phone still slow ... so i decided to do a FDR .... and when the phone booted again the external SD card was unreadable. Connected the phone to a PC to format .... and nothing, the card still unreadable and CANT be formated.

After some messing around with some tools the card was just lost, was not even able to format. At that point i decided to remove the card from phone and put in another phone (xperia V running GB) just to see .... and the card was mounted and  could see the files from before the encryption and the ones added after encryption, did a backup from what i wanted and was finally able to format the SD card.

Hope this help to somebody trapped by this poor implementation.

View original

So you are saying that you moved an encrypted SD card with no key to another device and you were able to see the encrypted files just fine???

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
navi7512
What's DOS?
Message 56 of 63

No exaclty, i encrypted the SD card and used the phone in that way, then after an upgrade to ICS i decided to remove the encryption, used the phone again a couple of weeks (without encryption) and finally did the FDR ..... and boom the card was unreadable, was unable to mount and got the message that was encrypted. So finally had to move it to another device to be able to backup data and format.

I dont know if the access to card was wrong or only some files were encrypted but the whole card was unreadable inside the RAZZR.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 57 of 63

navi7512 said:

No exaclty, i encrypted the SD card and used the phone in that way, then after an upgrade to ICS i decided to remove the encryption, used the phone again a couple of weeks (without encryption) and finally did the FDR ..... and boom the card was unreadable, was unable to mount and got the message that was encrypted. So finally had to move it to another device to be able to backup data and format.

I dont know if the access to card was wrong or only some files were encrypted but the whole card was unreadable inside the RAZZR.

View original

My understanding is that when you encrypt data on the Moto devices, a unique key is generated and kept by the device.  The FDR wiped your key, thereby locking down your data.  You should NOT have been able to unlock and view the data using another device.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
navi7512
What's DOS?
Message 58 of 63

Yep, but remember, i said that data was NOT encrypted when i did the FDR but the card was unreadable anyway.

navi7512
What's DOS?
Message 59 of 63

Is really weird, basically i have 2 questions:

1. If the data was not encrypted why the card becomes unreadable after the FDR?

2. If the data was encrypted why can read the card in another device?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 60 of 63

navi7512 said:

Is really weird, basically i have 2 questions:

1. If the data was not encrypted why the card becomes unreadable after the FDR?

2. If the data was encrypted why can read the card in another device?

View original

Exactly.

Did you try removing and re-inserting the SD card a few times?  Maybe with a power down in between?  The device could have been confused and thought the card was still encrypted.