Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tdunnusa
What's DOS?
Views: 1,524
Message 1 of 8

Upgrading to a larger SD card

What is the proper procedure to upgrade my 16gig SD card with 32gig card?  I know I need to copy the contents to the larger one so is it just a matter of copying it's contents for example to my pc then copy the contents with the same folder structure over to the new card and simply insert the new card?  I have a Razr Maxx.

bkg
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 8

Re: Upgrading to a larger SD card

What you propose is perfectly right. You may want to ensure that the new card works in your RAZR first. You can go to settings/storage and unmount your micro sd. Then install the new one without shutting off the RAZR.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 8

What you have said is right, but I would add one more step. I would also format the new card in the phone before adding any files to it. It is always best to format a new card in the device you are putting it in. It will then be formatted correctly and without worry of problems later. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

tdunnusa
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the assistance!!

tdunnusa
What's DOS?
Views: 1,522
Message 5 of 8

I am having a problem copying back all the files from my original SD card that I save off to my pc back on to my new SD card.  I dismounted my orginal card and copied the contents to a folder on my pc.  I then mounted the new card in the phone.  I took the option to erase the data on the new card which I read was supposed to format it.  After doing so I dismounted that card and put it into my pc and began to copy the old SD contents to it.  It is getting an error however copying some root files which I believe are index or .idx files with an error that the files are too large for the file system, see attachment.  Any thoughts on why this is happening and what will happen if I do not copy these .idx files?  Thanks.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 8

I would not worry about those files. If there are important files that are needed by the OS then it will create them. If they are needed by an app and the app won't work without them then just uninstall the app and then install it again. 

I usually will delete folders and files that I don't recognize and deal with it later if it is a problem. Like I said, if it is important for the OS to have than it will create them if they aren't present. Hope this helps.

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

tdunnusa
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 8

Okay thanks for that joelbon!

KarHe4
What's DOS?
Views: 1,405
Message 8 of 8

Hello,

As a 64GB SD card user, with enough money, you can merely go get a larger one. Why? From my experiences, sometimes, we just cannot indicate what we will use it to store or transfer in the future, right? Take me as an example, last time, while using it inside my digital camera to record some wedding videos of my friend, many interesting and unforgettable things happened and I just could not record them all since my SD card was nearly full.

Of course, no matter what happens, save data backups well all the time. Also go check this to fix some common SD card problems and solutions: https://www.icare-recovery.com/howto/sd-card.html

Hope my experiences can give you some useful clues.