Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim13481
Paper Tape
Views: 15,325
Message 1 of 9

Droid Turbo 2 Battery Replacement Or Replace The Phone Itself

I am at something of a crossroads that probably many others before me have been to. I have a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 smartphone. In all fairness, it has been a pretty good phone, but after a couple of years of use, the battery doesn't last as long as when it was new. A pretty common story these days and many phones no longer off the ability of the end user to readily replace the battery.

I checked the Motorola website and, if I recall correctly, it costs about $125 to have the replacement done directly by Motorola or whoever they contract with. I assume that the benefit of that is it is still water resistant and has a warranty. I don't know if they actually do repair my phone or simply replace it with another Droid Turbo 2. I do have a couple of other Verizon smartphones that I could use in the interim, if necessary.

Conversely, I have watched a YouTube video and I could probably replace it myself much cheaper than sending it in. I suspect that it will no longer be as water resistant as it was from the factory.

Or, I can simply buy a brand new phone that, at this point, will probably have a faster processor and more internal memory, etc. I am something of an "accessory geek" meaning I might select my new phone based on what is available to make it as useful as possible to me. I have an OtterBox currently, but having the ability to use a Mophie or other battery case would be quite handy, particularly when traveling.

Anyway, for other Motorola owners or, specifically Droid Turbo 2 owners, what have you done? Replace the battery yourself, send it in for a replacement Droid Turbo 2, or simply get a new phone?

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,317
Message 2 of 9

Re: Droid Turbo 2 Battery Replacement Or Replace The Phone Itself

That's a tough choice.  The Turbo 2 is a great phone, but also getting older each year.  I had one and used it for over a year, had a lot of posts here during that year.  Then I gave it to my daughter and bought a Z Force for me.  She used it for a year and then it finally died (charging port was shot and the green lines on screen).  I bought her a Moto Z2 Play and that thing is really fast and snappy, with great battery life.  I paid Moto for a RMA repair for my Turbo 2 and convinced my employer to let me switch it over as my company work phone and replace the old Samsung I had.  The replacement phone is fully refurbished and looks & functions like new.  It's nice using my old Turbo 2 as my work phone now.  But....it's still not as fast & snappy as my Z Force.

As far as repair Moto has two options.  You can pay for the repair and send your phone in first and wait for it to return.  You would need a spare to use while waiting.  Or you can pay an extra $25 and they send you a fully refurbished phone first with a prepaid box to return the old phone.  That's their RMA process.  I have used it several times and I like the new phone first so I don't mind paying the extra $.

I have also watched videos about replacing the battery and it looks fairly simple if you have the correct tools.  I have replaced screens on a Z Play and Moto G4+ for family members and it's not too difficult once you get the hang of it.

If you want a new phone the Z Series is fantastic.  And if you are a gadget guy, the Moto Mod options add nice "gadgets" to the phones.  I love the Battery Mod and JBL Sound boost speaker.  Also...Moto just announced a big 45th anniversary sale on Monday the 3rd.  You might want to check their site on Monday and see what the sales are like.

Decisions, decisions. 😀. Good luck!

~Scott
Jim13481
Paper Tape
Views: 15,313
Message 3 of 9

That is an excellent reply. Thank you very much!

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,311
Message 4 of 9

You are welcome.  Good luck with your decision, hopefully you end up with something that you enjoy and suits your needs.  Just to throw another monkey wrench in the plan....the Moto Z3 series should be announced later this Summer if you are interested and have time to wait.  That's not official, just my guess based on when the Z series and Z2 series were announced.

~Scott
Troy-1
HDMI
Views: 15,178
Message 5 of 9

I know I'm probably a few days late for this discussionSmiley Happy I had the battery replaced on my Turbo 2 at a local repair shop for $70 and it was worth the price. If you are having any problems with the charging port or screen I would say replace the phone. If battery life is your only issue on an otherwise good phone, just replace the battery. 

:
Jim13481
Paper Tape
Views: 15,170
Message 6 of 9

Well, it is interesting that you should mention that. I might be having problems with the charging port. Sometimes, after it has been on the charger overnight, it will be at less than 100 %. And, since you did mention that, has that been something that other Droid Turbo 2 owners have had problems with then?  

Troy-1
HDMI
Views: 15,165
Message 7 of 9

The green screen lines and charging port problems seem to be the two most common problems with the phone. Some believe that the "my phone won't turbo charge" issue is actually a charging port problem. My first step would be to perform a battery calibration if appears to be not charging fully or discharging fully. On the other hand, while replacing the battery you have access to the charging port and can tighten up the solder holding it in. You'll see more than a few youtube videos on this one. Personally, I like new phones but I chose to keep this one for another year. YMMV

:
Terij
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,292
Message 8 of 9

I had a loose charging port...so I had it replaced. And that solved that problem.  But now my battery isn't lasting long.  The phone will just shut off anywhere from about 26%- 50%.  I know it's an old phone.  But I just might get the battery replaced.

Troy-1
HDMI
Views: 3,268
Message 9 of 9

First thing to do is recalibrating the battery tables. Your phone should not turn off at 50%. We were told you need your origional charger for this. This will make sure the battery percentage is displaying correctly.

"@Moto_Joy wrote:

Please try battery calibration and let me know. Thank you!

1. Press and hold the power button until the phone reboots.
2. Plug into the supplied charger.
3. Allow the phone to charge to 100%
4. Leave on the charger for at least an additional hour."

I had the battery replaced on mine with good results. I just quit using it a couple of weeks ago when a half off deal came up on the Pixel 3xl. If the phone is in otherwise good condition there isn't any reason a batter replacement is a bad idea. Good Luck!

: