Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mon73
Token Ring
Views: 31,555
Message 1 of 19

Nougat 7.0 battery drain

Anyone having issues with battery drain after the 7.0 update? I'm noticing a significant difference in comparison to 6.0. My phone was at 40% by the time I left work yesterday and typically was in the 70's at that time of day with 6.0. My battery is showing "Android OS" as the culprit. It seems to be the same issue as the Nexus devices were having initially with Nougat. Anyway, just curious if anyone is having this issue right off the bat. Hopefully, a factory reset will address this which I plan on doing this weekend.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 31,423
Message 2 of 19

Re: Nougat 7.0 battery drain

@Mon73 wrote:

Anyone having issues with battery drain after the 7.0 update? I'm noticing a significant difference in comparison to 6.0. My phone was at 40% by the time I left work yesterday and typically was in the 70's at that time of day with 6.0. My battery is showing "Android OS" as the culprit. It seems to be the same issue as the Nexus devices were having initially with Nougat. Anyway, just curious if anyone is having this issue right off the bat. Hopefully, a factory reset will address this which I plan on doing this weekend.

Hi Mon73, 

Battery drain is common after updating your phone to the latest update as it requires more battery to successfully complete its update. We suggest customers to observe their phone for days about this behavior and see if there will be some improvement.

You can do a clear cache partition to see if it works.

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

Supercaliber641
Fanfold Paper
Views: 31,411
Message 3 of 19

I'm having the same issue, I'll usually have 20-40% battery left at night.  I'm charging my phone by 6:00pm now.

That's with having it plugged into a car charger for an 1 hour drive twice each day.

Supercaliber641
Fanfold Paper
Views: 31,410
Message 4 of 19

the "clear cache partition" page is for Android 5.0 and 6.0. Hasn't been updated for 7.0 or doesn't state that either is the same for 7.0.
Mon73
Token Ring
Views: 31,406
Message 5 of 19

@Moto_Anne wrote:

@Mon73 wrote:

Hi Mon73, 

Battery drain is common after updating your phone to the latest update as it requires more battery to successfully complete its update. We suggest customers to observe their phone for days about this behavior and see if there will be some improvement.

You can do a clear cache partition to see if it works.

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

Ok, I will monitor it over the next few days and see if it improves. I already cleared the cache partition. I generally do that immediately after any update.

Thanks!!!

Mon73
Token Ring
Views: 31,406
Message 6 of 19

@Supercaliber641 wrote:
the "clear cache partition" page is for Android 5.0 and 6.0. Hasn't been updated for 7.0 or doesn't state that either is the same for 7.0.

The 6.0 procedure works for 7.0.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 31,395
Message 7 of 19

@Mon73 wrote:

@Supercaliber641 wrote:

The 6.0 procedure works for 7.0.

Hi Mon73,

Let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you and have a great day!

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

Mel52
Punch Card
Views: 31,310
Message 8 of 19

Sorry to hear about your battery drain. Since the upgrade to Nougat I'm seeing signifanctly better battery life.  Before the upgrade I would take the phone off the charger at 5:30 AM and put back on the charger at 10:30 pm. Using Marshmallow my battery was down in the 40-45 %  range. I use the phone pretty much the same everyday not a power user. After Nougat the last few nights at the end of the day the phone has been between 70-75%.

Mon73
Token Ring
Views: 31,295
Message 9 of 19

Well

@Mel52 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your battery drain. Since the upgrade to Nougat I'm seeing signifanctly better battery life.  Before the upgrade I would take the phone off the charger at 5:30 AM and put back on the charger at 10:30 pm. Using Marshmallow my battery was down in the 40-45 %  range. I use the phone pretty much the same everyday not a power user. After Nougat the last few nights at the end of the day the phone has been between 70-75%.

Well, I happen to be a power user...if you consider streaming U-verse channels for long periods of time a power user. Even on heavy usage days, I would never drop below 60% by late afternoon. I could easily go into the middle of the next day with Marshmallow. Now, I'm charging by mid afternoon same day. Not good at all. You can just google Nexus Nougat battery issues and find endless evidence that it's inferior to Marshmallow in the battery dept. Oh well, it looks like it's factory reset time for me even though I don't think it'll do any good. Smiley Mad 

Mon73
Token Ring
Views: 31,241
Message 10 of 19

I found a good recommendation related to the Nexus battery issues with Nougat (see link below). They tried resetting app preferences in Battery Optimization. I reset my preferences, rebooted and have seen dramatic results. I'm no longer seeing the battery drop while the phone is inactive as well. Anyway, give this a try before resorting to a factory reset...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/516ww2/battery_drain_on_android_70_nougat_solved/