Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 6,259
Message 1 of 100

Replacing your Shattershield lens

I have actually replaced my lens. It's super-easy -- but also easy to make mistake. Here are some tips:

• There is an FAQ that walks you through it here. (There will be a video added shortly.)

• Be careful to follow the instructions as described. Draw your lines down the center not the edges (more on this below), and then let it sit. You will see the adhesive spreading. 

• The instructions say to wait 15 seconds before pushing out remaining air. I'd let it sit until it stops naturally spreading on its own. Could be a minute or so, then complete the process with your fingers.

• If you still have bubbles, let it sit 24-hours and most of them will go out themselves.

• When I did mine I messed up and ran my finger down the left edge first instead of the center. As a result, I ended up with a dime-sized bubble I'd trapped at the lower right side. (It worked fine with the bubble, by the way.) After nearly two weeks, I pried up the edge of the lens using the provided tool and pushed out the bubble. It now looks perfect. NOTE: This does not mean you can easily remove and reuse the lens, or even re-center it if you get it badly crooked. But it has some small level of forgiveness.

I'll start some FAQs here -- please ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Q: I've read I can just peel off the outer layer with the Verizon logo, and use it like that or with an off-the-shelf screen protector. Sweet, right?

A: This is a terrible idea. That outer layer is part of the Shattershield lens and not the same as some 3rd-party screen protector. Don't do it -- can mess up your phone badly. Only use a Motorola Shattershield replacement. By all means, use a screen protector over that if you like, but don't substitute for the real lens. Oh, and using your Turbo II without the official Shattershield lens voids your warranty. So there's that.

Q: Where can I buy the replacement Shattershield?

It's available on motorola.com under Accessories > Film protectors, right here. There may be some retail options; stay tuned.

Q: Does the replacement Shattershield have a Verizon logo on it as well?

A: While I can tell you that the one I used did not, it was not a final, kitted product. So the current answer I can provide is "I'm not sure." I would not count on getting one without the logo.

Q: Should I put a screen protector over my Shattershield lens?

A; Yes, we recommend it. It won't break but it is somewhat more susceptible to scratches than glass, so a screen protector is a good idea. 

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
kerrigjl
Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 100

Re: Replacing your Shattershield lens

Does the replacement Shattershield have a Verizon logo on it, as well?

BobFire
WWAN
Message 3 of 100

kerrigjl said:

View original

I sure hope not!!!

BOB

Administrator
Administrator
Message 4 of 100

kerrigjl said:

View original

While I can tell you that the one I used did not, it was not a final, kitted product. So the current answer I can provide is "I'm not sure." I would not count on getting one without the logo.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
SAWig-1
SCSI Port
Message 5 of 100

I've already noticed a flaw in my lens and haven't even had it a week. Either this material is that soft or I had a diamond bit in my pocket. Never once had an issue with Gorilla glass.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 100

SAWig-1 said:

I've already noticed a flaw in my lens and haven't even had it a week. Either this material is that soft or I had a diamond bit in my pocket. Never once had an issue with Gorilla glass.

View original

I don't think it would take a diamond bit to scratch the surface of the Shattershield lens, which is not glass, and doesn't have the scratch resistant properties of Gorilla Glass, which can break.

I guess that's why, even though the outer lens is user replaceable, Motorola recommends using a screen protector on the Turbo II.

NotoNeo
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 100

crystallet said:

SAWig-1 said:

View original

I don't think it would take a diamond bit to scratch the surface of the Shattershield lens, which is not glass, and doesn't have the scratch resistant properties of Gorilla Glass, which can break.

I guess that's why, even though the outer lens is user replaceable, Motorola recommends using a screen protector on the Turbo II.

View original

All of this. I just got my Turbo 2 not three hours ago, put it in my jeans pocket with the soft cloth that came with my glasses, and already it has collected two faint scratches near the center and a small collection of them near the top right that's more noticeable. If I would have known the screen was THIS susceptible to scratches, I wouldn't have taken the factory film that was on it and waited until I had a tempered glass screen protector because wowzers, to already show wear despite being brand new is very disappointing.

Luckily, it's good to know that you can get replacement lenses, but I'm desperately trying now to get Motorola to send me a replacement free of charge because this is absolutely insane. For all I know, the lens was already like that, I just don't know. What I do know is the minute I took it out of my pocket and wiped away the screen with the soft cloth I immediately noticed it. Sad day. The rest of the phone is amazing, tho'. Definitely the best designed Droid ever made.

SAWig-1
SCSI Port
Message 8 of 100

Luckily, it's good to know that you can get replacement lenses, but I'm desperately trying now to get Motorola to send me a replacement free of charge because this is absolutely insane.

View original

If you get them to let me know. I tried to hint to it with one costumer service person from Moto but they didn't fall for it. Coming from the Turbo1 and never having a scratch this leaves me salty.

Administrator
Administrator
Message 9 of 100

That's really unusual even for Shattershield. I've been carrying mine for awhile without any particular care (other than not putting it next to my keys in my pocket, etc.) with no noticeable scratches. Can you guys provide pics?

Okay, I took my contacts out and really peered at my Turbo II with the screen off, and yep, there are faint scratches.

So, for people like me, probably not a big deal but a screen protector is a good idea. 

If you are someone with great eyesight or simply someone who notices these things, it WILL scratch. Take precautions. But the scratches will not generally interfere with your view of the screen.

SAWig-1
SCSI Port
Message 10 of 100

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

That's really unusual even for Shattershield. I've been carrying mine for awhile without any particular care (other than not putting it next to my keys in my pocket, etc.) with no noticeable scratches. Can you guys provide pics?

View original

I keep my phone away from keys. The only thing I can think of is my cat got ahold of my phone. Like I said it has had a case on it since I've got it.

Top Kudoed Authors