Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SAWig-1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,622
Message 11 of 100

Re: Replacing your Shattershield lens

I feel with this screen already being heavily layered, the last thing I want to do is add more to it. Plus the screen is already darker then the Turbo1 so colors just don't look as sharp and its sad.

NotoNeo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,622
Message 12 of 100

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

That's really unusual even for Shattershield. I've been carrying mine for awhile without any particular care (other than not putting it next to my keys in my pocket, etc.) with no noticeable scratches. Can you guys provide pics?

Okay, I took my contacts out and really peered at my Turbo II with the screen off, and yep, there are faint scratches.

So, for people like me, probably not a big deal but a screen protector is a good idea. 

If you are someone with great eyesight or simply someone who notices these things, it WILL scratch. Take precautions. But the scratches will not generally interfere with your view of the screen.

View original

These are the most noticeable for me. Even when my screen is I can tell they're there. The others are just your faint scratch variety. I really noticed them when I was walking down the hallway at work and the lights hit my screen. I was like "Wait, huh?!" Definitely not a total deal-breaker since it can be replaced, but talk about a surprise after having this phone for only a couple of hours!! Definitely have a glass screen protector (or regular one) ready before you remove the film off the screen because this is most definitely a plastic screen.

NotoNeo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,621
Message 13 of 100

Here's one more that shows off the faint scratches. As Matt stated, these aren't always visible, especially when your screen is on, and I only saw them when shining a light directly on the screen, but they are there, and they will be there if you don't have a screen protector on. 

NotoNeo
Paper Tape
Message 14 of 100

SAWig-1 said:

I feel with this screen already being heavily layered, the last thing I want to do is add more to it. Plus the screen is already darker then the Turbo so colors just don't look as sharp and its sad.

View original

Well the screen is a little bit recessed so if you add a screen protector it's not gonna make it stick it out a whole lot. I would definitely recommend a tempered glass one, however, since they hold up and look much better. As far as the quality of the screen goes, I definitely have to disagree with you there. I think the display on the Turbo 2 is much better. Not only does it get brighter, which is something you can most notice on white backgrounds and when you're outside, but the colors are more accurate. They're not as overly saturated on the Turbo, which is a good thing since that means they're more true-to-life. I've linked to a couple of them so you can see what I mean. 

The color temp isn't as warm either, so the pinkish tone exhibited by the original Turbo isn't totally noticeable. I don't know, perhaps the screen on my first Turbo was just a bad panel, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the Turbo 2 look better than it despite all the layers...

djousma
802.11n
Message 15 of 100

I put one of the Verizon Flexible glass protectors on it before I started using the phone. fits extremely well, and you cannot tell that it even there.   Fits WAY better than they did on the Turbo 1.   Put one on my wifes new Turbo 2 as well.   Money well spent.

Oliver715
What's DOS?
Message 16 of 100

My Turbo 2 is on a FedEx vehicle for delivery.  I'm now very worried, based on these posts.  Considering calling the Verizon store when it opens at 10, on the off-chance that they have the glass screen protector for the T2 in stock.  The type of customer who spends bank on a phone will typically not be pleased with immediate scratches --even small ones.  You'd think they would have just made the replaceable layer, the tempered glass layer.  It's almost like they want the extra $30 each time a plastic lens gets scratched, and they realized what high-end customers were like.  Cynical of me to think this.   But possibly true. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 17 of 100

Oliver715 said:

My Turbo 2 is on a FedEx vehicle for delivery.  I'm now very worried, based on these posts.  Considering calling the Verizon store when it opens at 10, on the off-chance that they have the glass screen protector for the T2 in stock.  The type of customer who spends bank on a phone will typically not be pleased with immediate scratches --even small ones.  You'd think they would have just made the replaceable layer, the tempered glass layer.  It's almost like they want the extra $30 each time a plastic lens gets scratched, and they realized what high-end customers were like.  Cynical of me to think this.   But possibly true. 

View original

Honestly, I doubt it.  If it were true, you wouldn't have heard Matt recommending a screen protector.  

Also, not sure I'd put something that can break on something that can't.  I think of tempered glass protectors as "sacrificial lambs."  They absorb the energy of a fall, hopefully leaving the screen intact.  But, ff the phone were dropped, the tempered glass could scratch the shatterproof lens.

Just my humble opinion.  I'm sure others disagree...perhaps vehemently.   ;-)

Oliver715
What's DOS?
Views: 1,623
Message 18 of 100

crystallet said:

Oliver715 said:

View original

Honestly, I doubt it.  If it were true, you wouldn't have heard Matt recommending a screen protector.  

Also, not sure I'd put something that can break on something that can't.  I think of tempered glass protectors as "sacrificial lambs."  They absorb the energy of a fall, hopefully leaving the screen intact.  But, ff the phone were dropped, the tempered glass could scratch the shatterproof lens.

Just my humble opinion.  I'm sure others disagree...perhaps vehemently.   ;-)

View original

Point taken.  If only they had transparent aluminum.

SAWig-1
SCSI Port
Message 19 of 100

Too bad I couldn't replace it with some Lexan. Then I could just buff the scratches out if there were any. But my one big scratch is a gouge into the plastic you can feel with your finger

djousma
802.11n
Message 20 of 100

Pretty sure the VZW flexible glass protectors really aren't glass.   Just a hard plastic.   Take you time putting it on, and you dont even know its there.  Of course, they are only $5 (list price) less than the replacement lens from motorola.   One could just go the route of treating the top stock lens as a screen protector, and just replace it occasionally with the the OEM lens when needed.  I probably would have gone that route, had I known that was user replaceable when I bought my phone.