Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,125
Message 21 of 100

Re: Replacing your Shattershield lens

Oliver715 said:

crystallet said:

Oliver715 said:

My Turbo 2 is on a FedEx vehicle for delivery.  I'm now very worried, based on these posts.  Considering calling the Verizon store when it opens at 10, on the off-chance that they have the glass screen protector for the T2 in stock.  The type of customer who spends bank on a phone will typically not be pleased with immediate scratches --even small ones.  You'd think they would have just made the replaceable layer, the tempered glass layer.  It's almost like they want the extra $30 each time a plastic lens gets scratched, and they realized what high-end customers were like.  Cynical of me to think this.   But possibly true. 

View original

Honestly, I doubt it.  If it were true, you wouldn't have heard Matt recommending a screen protector.  

Also, not sure I'd put something that can break on something that can't.  I think of tempered glass protectors as "sacrificial lambs."  They absorb the energy of a fall, hopefully leaving the screen intact.  But, ff the phone were dropped, the tempered glass could scratch the shatterproof lens.

Just my humble opinion.  I'm sure others disagree...perhaps vehemently.   ;-)

View original

Point taken.  If only they had transparent aluminum.

View original

Captain!  There be whales here!

Oliver715
What's DOS?
Message 22 of 100

djousma said:

Pretty sure the VZW flexible glass protectors really aren't glass.   Just a hard plastic.   Take you time putting it on, and you dont even know its there.  Of course, they are only $5 (list price) less than the replacement lens from motorola.   One could just go the route of treating the top stock lens as a screen protector, and just replace it occasionally with the the OEM lens when needed.  I probably would have gone that route, had I known that was user replaceable when I bought my phone.

View original

I'm going to purchase one today.  Were there air bubbles, or anything like that when you put the thing on to your screen?  Anything I should be aware of when putting it on?  Thanks!

MotoXDave
What's DOS?
Message 23 of 100

Nice video on the page now...  From that video, it looks like production lens kits include the Verizon logo.  

djousma
802.11n
Message 24 of 100

Oliver715 said:

djousma said:

Pretty sure the VZW flexible glass protectors really aren't glass.   Just a hard plastic.   Take you time putting it on, and you dont even know its there.  Of course, they are only $5 (list price) less than the replacement lens from motorola.   One could just go the route of treating the top stock lens as a screen protector, and just replace it occasionally with the the OEM lens when needed.  I probably would have gone that route, had I known that was user replaceable when I bought my phone.

View original

I'm going to purchase one today.  Were there air bubbles, or anything like that when you put the thing on to your screen?  Anything I should be aware of when putting it on?  Thanks!

View original

No.   Installed correctly, you cannot tell that it is there.  Let the VZW people put it on.  they do many everyday.   If you do it, just take your time, and make sure the display is clean and lint free.

bdporter42
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,123
Message 25 of 100

I just received an official moto shattershield replacement lens.

I ordered it from the Motorola web site on 11/2 and it arrived from China via FedEx this morning.  Pretty good turnaround.

Final cost for me was $38.22 with tax and shipping.

For all of you logo haters, it currently is shipping Verizon logo free. (pictures attached)

I plan to keep mine as a spare in case the lens gets too scratched.

bdporter42
Fanfold Paper
Message 26 of 100

Package contents:

NotoNeo
Paper Tape
Message 27 of 100

^

Awesome to know. I should be receiving mine soon too. I got them to send me one under warranty, but I'll definitely be buying a spare just in case. Good luck applying yours!!

Chris20nyy
What's DOS?
Message 28 of 100

So you mean to tell me if I use my device with the shattershield off and the speaker, or camera fails Motorola won't honor the warranty?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 29 of 100

Chris20nyy said:

So you mean to tell me if I use my device with the shattershield off and the speaker, or camera fails Motorola won't honor the warranty?

View original

Well, it might just be the screen that you are voiding your warranty on, but I can't imagine a scenario that you would want to use the phone without the Shattershield lens. That doesn't make much sense to me. The lens is part of the shatter proofing. It was one of the layers that give the full protection.

Do you have a good reason why you would want to do that?

I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am just a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 30 of 100

Chris20nyy said:

View original

Yes, that violates the warranty. The Shattershield is part of the phone. Using the phone without the Shattershield would be using a phone without the back cover on; it's not designed for that.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!