Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobFire
WWAN
Views: 1,124
Message 41 of 100

Re: Replacing your Shattershield lens

Collin2424 said:

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. I ordered the shield from the link provided, unboxed it and was initially pleased to see that there was no Verizon logo! Cool! So I followed the instructions and got the old one off. In doing so, two things happened:

1) I scratched the living hello out of the plastic bezel around the screen, even though I was as gentle as could possibly be. Any more gentle and the old lens would not have come off. 

2) Noticed that the VERIZON LOGO IS ON THE SECOND LAYER OF THE SCREEN ASSEMBLY! Removing my old lens, I noticed it had no Verizon logo either! So, my little project netted me the following results:

I have a new lens that I was not able to put on as straight as the original, a phone that still has this hideous Verizon logo, $35 less in my checking account and lastly, a scratched up plastic bezel on the outside of my phone. 

I blame Motorola for none of this. I am not upset with anyone but myself. But, I sure hope this deters some others from chasing that Verizon logo-free dream that I was living in two weeks ago. 

Best, 

-Collin-

View original

WOW. Sorry to hear that. I have been waiting to find out if the logo is on the outer layer or inner one. I am happy I did not go and change it.  Sorry for your issue. Time for me to find a sticker to put on it. 

BOB

Collin2424
What's DOS?
Message 42 of 100

I am sad that I was the guinea pig, but also happy that others will not share in the madness. 

I must commend Verizon for being so stubborn. It truly is amazing. I remember ordering the first Droid Turbo and I specifically went with the Ballistic Nylon 64gb because it was branding-free! I shattered the screen, requested a replacement, and the replacement came with the Verizon logo. The incredible part is that they have somehow changed the manufacturing process post-release to include more logos. Ah geez, I want to give Verizon a big hug sometimes. 

-Collin-

BobFire
WWAN
Message 43 of 100

At least they don't place their tags on the backs anymore. It is not so so bad on the black front. It would drive me nuts in the white one. 

BOB

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 1,125
Message 44 of 100

Collin2424 said:

Well, I'm a bit disappointed. I ordered the shield from the link provided, unboxed it and was initially pleased to see that there was no Verizon logo! Cool! So I followed the instructions and got the old one off. In doing so, two things happened:

1) I scratched the living hello out of the plastic bezel around the screen, even though I was as gentle as could possibly be. Any more gentle and the old lens would not have come off. 

-Collin-

View original

Collin, did you use the white plastic tool for prying off the old Shattershield? 

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Collin2424
What's DOS?
Views: 1,127
Message 45 of 100

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

Collin2424 said:

-Collin-

View original

Collin, did you use the white plastic tool for prying off the old Shattershield? 

View original

I did indeed, and I followed the video where it said to insert the plastic tool near the power button. First world problems Smiley Happy

-Collin-

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 1,129
Message 46 of 100

Collin2424 said:

Collin2424 said:

-Collin-

View original

View original

I did indeed, and I followed the video where it said to insert the plastic tool near the power button. First world problems Smiley Happy

-Collin-

View original

Would you be able to take a picture of the damage and send it to me at supportforums@motorola.com? Thanks in advance if you can.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Collin2424
What's DOS?
Views: 1,131
Message 47 of 100

Collin2424 said:

Collin2424 said:

-Collin-

View original

View original

-Collin-

View original

Would you be able to take a picture of the damage and send it to me at supportforums@motorola.com? Thanks in advance if you can.

View original

I'd be happy to, will get it to you in a few hours. Might be hard to depict, but I will try. 

-Collin-

jaseman101
What's DOS?
Views: 1,132
Message 48 of 100

Read the entire thread. Had my previous question "somewhat" answered. This phone will be for someone else who tends to be hard on their phones and I don't really care about warranty shmoranty stuff. I have the Moto X Pure = NO LOGO's!

Has nobody out there who owns one of these Turbo 2's tried to use the phone by replacing the plastic top screen with an off the shelf tempered glass screen protector?

I have watched several videos of people trying to damage this phone by every means possible short of nuking it. Screen did not shatter or break at all. It took a hammer several smacks to finally dent and stop the screen from working. I highly doubt that the plastic top layer is what held it all together. I personally think that by pulling off the scratch prone top layer and replacing it with a tempered glass screen protector will not make the remaining 4 layers underneath any more susceptible to breakage but may actually help in some ways by reducing scratches, and not having 6 layers on the screen. I could very well be wrong but I gotta believe someone out there has tried this.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,133
Message 49 of 100

I'm thinking it could void the warranty, since you'd be operating the phone in a manner that wasn't intended.  Because that top layer is not glass, Motorola recommends the screen protector, but not on the layer beneath the outer lens.

jaseman101
What's DOS?
Views: 1,133
Message 50 of 100

As I mentioned in my last post I am not worried about warranty stuff. I always buy third party insurance for these things. Since there is already an outer 5th layer made of plastic...why not replace it with tempered glass? That is what I am wondering about. If someone has tried this it would be nice to hear how it worked. Maybe I will have to be the one to try it first.