Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 978
Message 51 of 100

Re: Replacing your Shattershield lens

That's your situation, but it's not everyone's.  The Forum House Rules don't support discussions about anything that could void the warranty.  Let's face it: there's a good chance that every bad idea that ultimately backfired seemed like a good idea when we first thought of it.    ;-)

V_I_N_CENT
What's DOS?
Message 52 of 100

Just replaced mine and have one bubble that hasn't gone away yet.  Hope it does in the next 24 hours.  You don't have to WAIT 24 hours to use it after replacing it do you? It just takes that long for it to fully set right?  I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see if the bubble works away before I put the glass protector on it. 

As for replacing the Shattershield with a tempered glass, you risk scratching the INNER lens if you drop it and shatter the tempered glass without the Shattershield between them.  It's one thing to replace the $30 layer that is designed to absorb damage and replace it but it's something else entirely to damage the inner lens that isn't replaceable.  

BobFire
WWAN
Message 53 of 100

It requires 24 hours to cure. From what the video says it should not be used for 24 hours

BOB

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Message 54 of 100

V.I.N.CENT said:

Just replaced mine and have one bubble that hasn't gone away yet.  Hope it does in the next 24 hours.  You don't have to WAIT 24 hours to use it after replacing it do you? It just takes that long for it to fully set right?  I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see if the bubble works away before I put the glass protector on it. 

As for replacing the Shattershield with a tempered glass, you risk scratching the INNER lens if you drop it and shatter the tempered glass without the Shattershield between them.  It's one thing to replace the $30 layer that is designed to absorb damage and replace it but it's something else entirely to damage the inner lens that isn't replaceable.  

View original

Also, see my initial post - last bullet (added bolding):

• When I did mine I messed up and ran my finger down the left edge first instead of the center. As a result, I ended up with a dime-sized bubble I'd trapped at the lower right side. (It worked fine with the bubble, by the way.) After nearly two weeks, I pried up the edge of the lens using the provided tool and pushed out the bubble. It now looks perfect. NOTE: This does not mean you can easily remove and reuse the lens, or even re-center it if you get it badly crooked. But it has some small level of forgiveness.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
V_I_N_CENT
What's DOS?
Message 55 of 100

THANKFULLY, prying it back up won't be necessary, all the bubbles evened out and it looks pristine now.  Since it's been 24 hours I'm going to add the flexible glass protector to it to prevent it from scratching so easily.

kovacs96
What's DOS?
Message 56 of 100

I was very happy to see that I could change the shattershield because mine was in bad shape. Had a little trouble getting the old shield off but no issues putting the new one on EXCEPT... now I am freaking out the touchscreen ISN'T WORKING!!! So now I have a beautiful looking screen that doesn't work.The device will wake up, I can input my pin but then when it comes to the home screen it blinks and is unresponsive. I have restarted multiple times. HELLLLPPPPP!!!!

Motorola Admin
Message 57 of 100

kovacs96 said:

I was very happy to see that I could change the shattershield because mine was in bad shape. Had a little trouble getting the old shield off but no issues putting the new one on EXCEPT... now I am freaking out the touchscreen ISN'T WORKING!!! So now I have a beautiful looking screen that doesn't work.The device will wake up, I can input my pin but then when it comes to the home screen it blinks and is unresponsive. I have restarted multiple times. HELLLLPPPPP!!!!

View original

That's very odd. Nothing else changed but the Shattershield? Have you tried a hard reset? (Press and hold the power key until the phone restarts.)

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
kovacs96
What's DOS?
Message 58 of 100

I totally agree that it is odd, everything seemed to be normal right after the replacement. I didn't use it much because it was late.

This morning the alarm didn't go off, odd... I had battery.. but oh well... stuck it in the Turbo charger and charged it to 100%. Then I went to use it and had the screen turning on and off. In a few hours it has now lost 70% of it's charge. 

Tried the hard reset you suggested, it didn't help.

Should I remove the ShatterShieldLens... hate to throw $35 bucks out the window but need the phone to work.

The install was pretty straight forward, not sure what could have gone wrong there. It seems the edges work but the middle of the screen doesn't. Tapping and app doesn't work at all or will just bring up a black screen, however the top edge menu is still there...And the pinlock screen has no issue. I can put in the pin and unlock. When the screen it unlocked, it is black and then the homescreen shows no icons just background and goes black, homescreen no icons. If I hit home a few times the icons show up, but screen continues to flicker.

kovacs96
What's DOS?
Views: 979
Message 59 of 100

Follow-up - I was directed by Motorola to put the device in Safe Mode, I cannot believe it but after putting it in safe mode there wasn't an issue. This is just an incredible coincidence. I wanted the readers of this thread to know it's not the ShatterShieldLens, it's some sort of software conflict but just uncanny that it surfaced after the ShatterShieldLens replacement.

Motorola Admin
Views: 980
Message 60 of 100

kovacs96 said:

Follow-up - I was directed by Motorola to put the device in Safe Mode, I cannot believe it but after putting it in safe mode there wasn't an issue. This is just an incredible coincidence. I wanted the readers of this thread to know it's not the ShatterShieldLens, it's some sort of software conflict but just uncanny that it surfaced after the ShatterShieldLens replacement.

View original

Thanks for letting us know. Were you able to determine what app was causing this?