Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 7 (262 Views)

T2 Nylon Back Cover Not Fully Attached?

So after the complete failure of the volume buttons on my first T2 (and that stupid piece of trim in the earpiece all but falling off), I decided to cash in my Design Refresh instead of paying Motorola $125 to maybe fix my old one.

On my original phone, I had the Soft Touch back.  The back cover was nicely recessed into the frame, which gave the back a very smooth transition from frame to back cover.  My replacement phone has the ballistic nylon back instead, and it feels like the cover just isn't fully attached- the back cover sticks out beyond the frame slightly, which exposes the edges of the cover.  This gives that transition a very rough feel, and more importantly, exposes the edge of the nylon fabric to the world, which has lead to the exposed edges starting to fray despite my only having the phone a few weeks.

In addition, I can press around the edges of the back cover and it will go further into the frame where I feel like it should be, but as soon as I release pressure, I hear a sound somewhat like adhesive tape coming free and the cover pops back out a fraction of an inch so that the cover's edges are once again exposed.

Is this normal for the ballistic nylon versions, or is this a legitimate flaw?

I tried to contact support via email, but that was back on Tuesday and despite being told to expect a response within 24 hours, 3 days later I haven't heard anything so I'm hoping someone from Moto will see this and be able to get the ball rolling somehow.

Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 7 (258 Views)

Re: T2 Nylon Back Cover Not Fully Attached?

I used my Ballistic Nylon backed Turbo 2 for over a year, and my daughter is still using it.  The nylon on mine (hers) is fully seated into the frame, like the soft touch nylon you mentioned.  My wife had a soft touch nylon T2 and the nylon on mine was fully seated just like her soft touch.  It sounds like the adhesive didn't fully set on your replacement.

~Scott
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 7 (249 Views)

tweak4 wrote:

So after the complete failure of the volume buttons on my first T2 (and that stupid piece of trim in the earpiece all but falling off), I decided to cash in my Design Refresh instead of paying Motorola $125 to maybe fix my old one.

On my original phone, I had the Soft Touch back.  The back cover was nicely recessed into the frame, which gave the back a very smooth transition from frame to back cover.  My replacement phone has the ballistic nylon back instead, and it feels like the cover just isn't fully attached- the back cover sticks out beyond the frame slightly, which exposes the edges of the cover.  This gives that transition a very rough feel, and more importantly, exposes the edge of the nylon fabric to the world, which has lead to the exposed edges starting to fray despite my only having the phone a few weeks.

In addition, I can press around the edges of the back cover and it will go further into the frame where I feel like it should be, but as soon as I release pressure, I hear a sound somewhat like adhesive tape coming free and the cover pops back out a fraction of an inch so that the cover's edges are once again exposed.

Is this normal for the ballistic nylon versions, or is this a legitimate flaw?

I tried to contact support via email, but that was back on Tuesday and despite being told to expect a response within 24 hours, 3 days later I haven't heard anything so I'm hoping someone from Moto will see this and be able to get the ball rolling somehow.

I would call the support phone number or use the chat function. My Moto MAXX (GSM variant of Turbo 1) has a small edge in one place on the nylon i can feel, but it is 2 years old. 

If you feel something is not right, contact support. There is glue under the rear cover. it could be an advesive issue, but you will have to judge. 

Since this a user to user forum, you will have to call moto and make arrangements for RMA - if email is slow, use the phone number or online chat. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 7 (227 Views)

I turned here because I'm getting desperate...

After 72 hours with no response to my email, I went to their chat.  As usual, the completely useless chat rep told me that I had to call in to their support hotline instead.  After waiting on hold for quite a while, I got through to a call center rep whom I could barely understand, and who couldn't grasp the concept that I was trying to get across:

"The back cover is not fully seated on the back of the phone leaving a gap where there shouldn't be"

"So the back cover is removable?"

"No. It's permanant, but it wasn't attached correctly"

"So there is no back cover?"

"No, there is a cover, but it isn't fully attached- the adhesive that holds it on seems to have partially failed"

"Can you put the cover back on the phone?"

"No, it hasn't fully come off, it's just... <sigh>"

After all that, I think I finally got her to recognize the problem when she said there is a gap between the cover and the frame.  Finally!

So after I give her the IMEI number, she says the next step is to send them a photograph showing the damage.  I tell her that might be difficult, since it is only offset by a fraction of an inch, and that gap might not show up well in a photo unless I use a professional macro lense, but it is very easy to tell by feel that things are definitely not aligned correctly.  After that, she basically dumped me, and at this point I don't know if they're going to progress with this issue at all or if they're considering it resolved.

If any Motorola reps happen to read this, could you PLEASE try to give me a hand here?  I've tried to get support via email, chat, and phone, and I don't feel like I'm making any progress.  All I want is to get this defect in my phone corrected before any warranty/exchange period expires, and I don't feel like I'm making any progress to that end.

Motorola Admin
Message 5 of 7 (221 Views)

tweak4 wrote:

I turned here because I'm getting desperate...

After 72 hours with no response to my email, I went to their chat.  As usual, the completely useless chat rep told me that I had to call in to their support hotline instead.  After waiting on hold for quite a while, I got through to a call center rep whom I could barely understand, and who couldn't grasp the concept that I was trying to get across:

"The back cover is not fully seated on the back of the phone leaving a gap where there shouldn't be"

"So the back cover is removable?"

"No. It's permanant, but it wasn't attached correctly"

"So there is no back cover?"

"No, there is a cover, but it isn't fully attached- the adhesive that holds it on seems to have partially failed"

"Can you put the cover back on the phone?"

"No, it hasn't fully come off, it's just... <sigh>"

After all that, I think I finally got her to recognize the problem when she said there is a gap between the cover and the frame.  Finally!

So after I give her the IMEI number, she says the next step is to send them a photograph showing the damage.  I tell her that might be difficult, since it is only offset by a fraction of an inch, and that gap might not show up well in a photo unless I use a professional macro lense, but it is very easy to tell by feel that things are definitely not aligned correctly.  After that, she basically dumped me, and at this point I don't know if they're going to progress with this issue at all or if they're considering it resolved.

If any Motorola reps happen to read this, could you PLEASE try to give me a hand here?  I've tried to get support via email, chat, and phone, and I don't feel like I'm making any progress.  All I want is to get this defect in my phone corrected before any warranty/exchange period expires, and I don't feel like I'm making any progress to that end.

I'll have someone reach out -- but apologize since it won't be until Monday. This is primarily cosmetic, right? So I hope you can hold off and she'll reach out then.

- Matt

Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 7 (218 Views)

Thanks Matt- I really do appreciate it.  No worries on waiting until Monday.  My biggest concern was that I know these replacement phones have very short warranty periods, so I wanted to make sure that mine was completely ok before time ran out.

The cover is definitely a cosmetic issue for now.  When I got it, the cover was popped out from where it seems like it should be slightly, but it has actually come out a bit more since then, so if the adhesive is failing in sections, it is entirely possible that eventually the cover would fall off entirely.  (Plus there's the issue with the nylon itself starting to fray around the edges, but that is definitely a cosmetic issue).

For the record, I did get the email the resulted from my call to support asking for photos that document the "damage", but like I said, the cover is only misaligned by a fraction of an inch, and will be extremely difficult to illustrate in a photo, even though it is obvious to the slightest touch.

Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 7 (125 Views)

Help me to record my calls, what app i need to install? 

Top Kudoed Authors