Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyW1A
Paper Tape
Views: 164
Message 1 of 2

Turbo 2 as a replacement...

After 4 years with my Turbo XT1254, it's time to retire it.  Battery replacement 6 months ago and now the power button is no longer working.

I'm looking at new, never sold, old stock Turbo 2 models as a replacement.  Not interested in newer ones nor their high prices.  So...

Looking at some that are Verizon network  locked vs network unlocked.

I am a long time Verizon customer, where I live, only Verizon has reception!

Is there any benefit of the network locked vs. network unlocked versions?

Is this a matter of installing my sim card, starting it and going from.there like I did with my Turbo when I got it?

Any insight would be appreciated.

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 119
Message 2 of 2

Re: Turbo 2 as a replacement...

Both the Verizon specific model and the network unlocked model should work OK on the Verizon network.  The key word is "should".  The network unlocked version should have all the bands / antennas to work on Verizon.  Should.  The Verizon specific Droid model definitely will work fine on Verizon.  If it was me I would go with a Verizon branded Droid Turbo 2; you'll have no doubt that you will get full cell & data connectivity.  I don't remember Moto making a network unlocked Droid Turbo 2.  Any phone with Droid in the name is normally always a Verizon specific phone.  They did make a Moto X Force that was basically the same thing as a Turbo 2 without the Droid brand on it.  There are a few other minor software differences between a Verizon brand phone and netwpork unlocked; nothing critical just minor cosmetic differences like the 4G indicator vs the standard data signal triangle symbol, etc.

And yes...no matter which phone you get, just pop your SIM out of your current phone & put it in the new phone.  Then turn it on and go through all the setup screens.  You just have to move your data (music, pics, files, etc.) using some format like an SD Card, connected to a computer, saved to cloud storage, etc.

~Scott