Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JermUF
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 28,298
Message 5 of 39

Turbo 2 is turning off randomly by itself

Turbo 2 running Android 7.0 (Build Number NCK25.118-10.2)

My phone randomly powers off by itself.  When purchased, I could go 40+ hours of normal use before needing to charge.  I now have to charge my phone 2-3 times per day.  After the last round of updates, my phone turns off anywhere from 2%-37%.  It is never the same.  You cannot turn it back on until it is charging.  Immediately after plugging it in, it will turn back on and many times can be unplugged right away with the charge it died at and will last for some time.  I have tried running in safe mode, I have done a factory reset (with the motorola computer reset tool), and run the battery calibration.  Nothing has worked.  It is extremely frustrating that a phone that is not even paid off if essentially unusable without a charging cable on hand.  I attached a current screenshot of the battery.  Verizon tech support was no help.  Any thoughts?

Michael556
Paper Tape
Views: 28,132
Message 1 of 39

Turbo 2 random power down

I've completed all the steps given in the FAQs and help quiries.  Yet, my phone which has been all but rock solid until the last month or so will randomly power down anywhere from 25% battery life on down.  There are some quirky things however...

It only powers down at 25% or 15% often.  Other times I couldn't say, since I'm not spending the day staring at the battery life percentage.  It won't power up until you attach a charger.  Then it'll start at the battery life indicated at the time of power down.  Weird.

Here's one even more weird.  I had my charger plugged in, and yes I verified it works well, since it charges timely and sufficiently on a myriad of other phones in my shop, and I actually watched the battery tick down in quick succession, to 0% while I was on a conference call.  With the charger attached and the little lightning bolt symbol showing a charge was being accepted, it powered down by itself and then powered back up.  No joke.

So I spent a bunch of time on the phone with Verizon.  They told me eventually after I ran through the steps which took a bit over an hour, that there was nothing they could do and I needed to call Motorola.  I did.  I was given over to a young man who ran through the same troubleshooting chart.  Same outcome.  Then I asked for a replacement.  My phone is out of the one year warranty.  Eventually I asked to be handed over to a supervisor.  They made no attempt to work with me on a replacment.

I went on to tell them I have 82 employees with cell phones and it costs me just under $30,000.00 annually to keep them all in smartphones.  When I explained that I had done my due diligence and expected some consideration, I got the "I'm sorry, you'll have to pay the charges"  etc.  I mentioned to "Oliver" that if the average Motorola phone costs me $700ish bucks per unit, and we have traditionally snagged Motorola phones due to fewer qualty control issues, that the tab comes to roughly $56,000.00 and change in the spring when I send my wife in to renew all the phones and mess with that hassle for the better part of a week.

He didn't care one iota.

Does somebody have a fix or solution for this?  I question why I'm even bothering to ask, as it looks like I'm stuck and nobody will help.  But from the quick google search I made this forum appears to actually have some pretty fair feedback, so I figured it was worth a quick post.

Motorola?  Can you shed some light on this?  Or do I need to switch over to Samsung or Apple and be done with it?  Thanks for all the help in advance.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 28,117
Message 2 of 39

Re: Turbo 2 random power down

@Michael556 wrote:

I've completed all the steps given in the FAQs and help quiries.  Yet, my phone which has been all but rock solid until the last month or so will randomly power down anywhere from 25% battery life on down.  There are some quirky things however...

It only powers down at 25% or 15% often.  Other times I couldn't say, since I'm not spending the day staring at the battery life percentage.  It won't power up until you attach a charger.  Then it'll start at the battery life indicated at the time of power down.  Weird.

Here's one even more weird.  I had my charger plugged in, and yes I verified it works well, since it charges timely and sufficiently on a myriad of other phones in my shop, and I actually watched the battery tick down in quick succession, to 0% while I was on a conference call.  With the charger attached and the little lightning bolt symbol showing a charge was being accepted, it powered down by itself and then powered back up.  No joke.

So I spent a bunch of time on the phone with Verizon.  They told me eventually after I ran through the steps which took a bit over an hour, that there was nothing they could do and I needed to call Motorola.  I did.  I was given over to a young man who ran through the same troubleshooting chart.  Same outcome.  Then I asked for a replacement.  My phone is out of the one year warranty.  Eventually I asked to be handed over to a supervisor.  They made no attempt to work with me on a replacment.

I went on to tell them I have 82 employees with cell phones and it costs me just under $30,000.00 annually to keep them all in smartphones.  When I explained that I had done my due diligence and expected some consideration, I got the "I'm sorry, you'll have to pay the charges"  etc.  I mentioned to "Oliver" that if the average Motorola phone costs me $700ish bucks per unit, and we have traditionally snagged Motorola phones due to fewer qualty control issues, that the tab comes to roughly $56,000.00 and change in the spring when I send my wife in to renew all the phones and mess with that hassle for the better part of a week.

He didn't care one iota.

Does somebody have a fix or solution for this?  I question why I'm even bothering to ask, as it looks like I'm stuck and nobody will help.  But from the quick google search I made this forum appears to actually have some pretty fair feedback, so I figured it was worth a quick post.

Motorola?  Can you shed some light on this?  Or do I need to switch over to Samsung or Apple and be done with it?  Thanks for all the help in advance.

Hi Michael556

I understand how inconvenient it is on your part but let me see what I can do. May I ask, when did this actually start? Have you tried calibrating the battery? To calibrate the battery, press and hold the Power button until the screen goes dark, about 7-10 seconds. When the screen goes dark, release the Power button and the phone will automatically reboot. Plug the phone in and let it charge overnight, using only the charger that came in the box with the phone. Observe the battery performance within 24 hours.

Would you mind also providing the reference number via PM? As well as your personal information so I can verify for your profile. 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Michael556
Paper Tape
Views: 28,072
Message 3 of 39

Ella,

I apologize, I just took notice of the email prompting me there was a reply.  I have not tried the battery calibration that I recall.  Let me give that a whirl this evening.

As far as the call or incident #, I know there was one given and I did record it.  However it is long gone.  

I'll try the recalibration you suggested and respond back.  I do have one concern though...  I'm assuming the charger is the one that came with the phone, but honestly I can't remember for sure.  Is there a way to verify this?  Is there a amperage/voltage marked on it, so I can make sure?  A part number possibly?  ...And, if not, how do I best attain the correct charger if I'm not utilizing the correct unit?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael556
Paper Tape
Views: 28,050
Message 4 of 39

Ella,

I tried the battery recalibration, and I'm wondering if this isn't worse now.  I did the recalibration procedure last night around 6pm or so.  I allowed the battery for fully charge and followed the procedures.  I left the phone on for an hour or so, then switched it to airplane mode.  I always do that for bed time, as I'll have a dozen people calling me asking questions they already know the answer to if I don't...  LOL.  So there is very little power consumption in that mode.  This morning I switched the airplane mode off around 7AM.  My battery was depleted before noon.  I made one call lasting 37 minutes.  

So now not only has it shut down once before the power percentage was to zero, it seems to be have far less run time than ever before.

So far, you're batting .000 Ella...

What do I do now?  I'm becoming really frustrated with this, and frankly I'm unsure whether I should mess with it any longer...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 28,117
Message 6 of 39

Re: Turbo 2 is turning off randomly by itself

@JermUF wrote:

Turbo 2 running Android 7.0 (Build Number NCK25.118-10.2)

My phone randomly powers off by itself.  When purchased, I could go 40+ hours of normal use before needing to charge.  I now have to charge my phone 2-3 times per day.  After the last round of updates, my phone turns off anywhere from 2%-37%.  It is never the same.  You cannot turn it back on until it is charging.  Immediately after plugging it in, it will turn back on and many times can be unplugged right away with the charge it died at and will last for some time.  I have tried running in safe mode, I have done a factory reset (with the motorola computer reset tool), and run the battery calibration.  Nothing has worked.  It is extremely frustrating that a phone that is not even paid off if essentially unusable without a charging cable on hand.  I attached a current screenshot of the battery.  Verizon tech support was no help.  Any thoughts?

Hi JermUF

Have you tried clear cache partition? I would suggest this steps as this has happened after an update. But may I ask, was it reset with no restore which you have tried? How did you calibrate the battery? 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

MNDan
What's DOS?
Views: 28,092
Message 7 of 39

I was having all the same problems lots of folks are complaining about with battery performance and random reboots.  It seemed to start after the last big upgrade.  I was about ready to ditch this phone when I decided to try a new battery. After getting a new battery installed the phone is almost back to the old phone I loved. I was sure it was the software but a new battery changed everything. 

JermUF
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 28,101
Message 8 of 39

I have cleared the cache partition. When I did a factory reset, it was with the Motorola Software Tool. The Verizon tech said restoring to previous setting would not affect the outcome. The battery calibration was another thing recommended by Verizon. Hold up and power button and then charge the phone (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-165413/).

brian1264
802.11n
Views: 28,063
Message 9 of 39

I am having the same issue

Very frustrated here.  As of the last Software update my Turbo 2 reboots itself a minimum of 3 times per day (usually more) If it doesnt reboot, all of my Google Apps or services turn off and it goes into a nice loop.

I have done over 50 Cache Wipes and have done 3 FDR's with no luck.  (It does it even in Safe Mode) How do I fix this or even get any help without jumping right to FDR or Send your phone in, wait 3 weeks while we look at it and send you a refurbished phone?

Verizon is useless in most things and this is no exception except that they have admitted many times that this is a known issue.

SglGrma
Token Ring
Views: 28,051
Message 10 of 39

I might have a solution for this.. about a week or so ago, i had a facebook messenger error to where nothing would fix it except to uninstall and reinstall.. so i did.. when i did the facebook messenger everytime i opened it (within 30 minutes) it shut my phone off.. so i turned it back on again and uninstalled it .. turned my phone on...reinstalled the app and the shut issue down started again ..so i uninstalled it and left it off for a few days.. 

now i do not know if i had not uninstalled the app if it would of shut down on me otherwise.. but my feeling on this is .. the shut down issues that some of us are having could be a bad app on our phones 

Top Kudoed Authors