Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael556
Paper Tape
Views: 12,417
Message 21 of 39

Re: Turbo 2 is turning off randomly by itself

@SglGrma

I sure can.  I tend not to dabble much in that, since our Tech Guy has it covered.  I had a bad habit of micromanaging in years past, so I was finally able to drop it.  I'll simply give him the criteria I'm looking for and he'll either say 'yes' or warn me against what I requested, and then move forward.

An example he gave me was the new Google Pixel phones.  Google doesn't manufacture a phone.  They hire it out to HTC or somebody else.  So when you go in to buy a phone, you should ask who physically manufactures that phone.  You might be surprised who builds for whom.  

If you don't want to give Motorola/Lenovo your money, you should be asking pointed discerning questions or you may be giving your money to this 'company' regardless.

I will certainly let you all know which direction we go.

JermUF
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 12,280
Message 22 of 39

Apparently, Verizon knows of this problem because they are offering a free Moto Z Force Droid (not the Z2) as a replacement to the Turbo 2.  You do have to turn in your old phone, but it was all worth it for me because I had to charge it 3 times a day.  This is only good if you are in warranty but if you are out of warranty, it is discounted to $150.  Depending on your time with the company and who your tech representative is, you may be able to get the cost down.  They sent me one for $0 and I have been out of warranty for almost a year.  The Moto Z is the replacement phone for the Turbo 2, so it was well worth it to replace it even though it wasn't the newest model.  Hope this works for everyone else!

Michael556
Paper Tape
Views: 12,246
Message 23 of 39

Essentially, this just keeps getting worse.  These organizations are indirectly and directly admitting this problem is real and widespread.  However, they aren't willing to do anything about those of us who have suffered longer than the people who only on had the product a short time.

If you fully digest that, that's pretty bad all around.

Did any of you notice besides me that a couple of admins from here on the forums/site popped in these discussions, but quickly took their leave after some silly 'reset' didn't fix the problem they knew existed all along?  That's deceiptful people.  No more, no less.

We set up our appointment with the local Verizon Store and they're sending a rep out to the shop the second week of January.  The only prerequisite we placed on them was they couldn't offer us Motorola/Lenovo phones or phones of other 'name' that originated from Motorola/Lenovo.  We're seriously considering two other major cell providers if VZ doesn't bring their "A Game" as it were.

I'd encourage anyone reading this to seriously consider the brand of phone you're buying and how well, or poorly in this case, you'll be supported with your purchase.  After all this, I've yet to be contacted by anyone on this forum in a position of authority to help with this problem.  That should tell you all you need to know.

Highlighted
Michael556
Paper Tape
Views: 12,245
Message 24 of 39

Also, just for the purposes of performance in my experience, my phone is now only operating about 2 to 3 hours a day now.  It will show 100% and in a bit over 2 hours it'll be drained to 35% or less and at any point after that it'll randomly power off. 

Typically anything below 35% and you are borrowed time.  Any average power need when you get to that point will shut it down.  For example, I'm at 32%, I want to take a picture, so I touch the camera icon, and that's enough to shut it down.  Or I'm at 25% and I get a phone call, and I send a text during the call, that's too much for the phone and it shuts off.

Even though it may show 25% at the time it powers down, it CANNOT be turned back on unless a charger is attached.  Then, it starts charging at 25%, not ZERO...

Total junk and I've been wrestling with it for months.  In fact, this problem was present and I complained about it BEFORE it ran out of the one year warranty.  If they'd have just been honest and helpful with me then I'd have at least had some options.  Now I'm stuck with it...  

But not for much longer...  Smiley Wink

SglGrma
Token Ring
Views: 12,237
Message 25 of 39

Michael.. I read a few days ago somewhere that Samsung 8 and note series are two of the best phones out there ... Even  outdoing iPhone x and not made in China 

Just a thought.. 

SglGrma
Token Ring
Views: 12,235
Message 26 of 39

And just so everyone knows .. I am finally seeing the shut down issues that Michael just explained.. it started happening to me about a month or so ago when I got an email from the forum asking if I wanted to participate in another soak test.. however the number that they said I should have is not the number I had.. and I was not invited to that soak test when all was said and done ... I even sent an email to the man who sent out that email survey and to this day.. I have not heard back .. telling him that the numbers were not correct.. and I have not ever used anything on any of my phone's except what they give me. That very night when I got that survey.. was the very night my phone started shutting off on me.. just waiting now for the perfect deal to get rid of my Motorola.. 

Not Verizon.. cause I actually like their customer service over all the other companies out there.. 

SglGrma
Token Ring
Views: 12,005
Message 27 of 39

ok, so since my last post.. 

before i go into my findings.. just want to let everyone know i have to leave my phone in my car while at work because we are not allowed to have them in our building. 

so .. now my findings:

1. when i am at home.. on my wifi my phone does not ever shut off randomly .. at all period. 

2. when i am at work and wifi is enabled but not connected.. my phone will shut off randomly

3. when at work - wifi shut off . and bluetooth turned on, but my headset turned off.. my phone will shut off randomly.

4. when at work - wifi and bluetooth shut off and headset turned on.. my phone will shut off randomly.

5. when at work - wifi and bluetooth shut off and headset turned off - my phone will not shut off

5. when at work - wifi shut off bluetooth turned on and headset turned on - my phone will not shut off.

i have to plug the phone back in in order to get it to do anything. when it does light up, it shows battery at zero % but when it turns back on the battery percentage can be anywhere from 31% to 68%.. sometimes i think it could do with winter setting in, but there are days where its 50 degrees and my phone still shut off, but later in the night then if the temperature was 38 degrees. 

any one else get any findings? 

JWang88
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,694
Message 28 of 39

Yeah, I have the same problem now. It turns off randomly but mine turns off mostly somewhere above 50%. Same as you when I turn my phone back on it shows nothing near 0%, something more like 46% or anything not near 0%.

I already tried a factory reset and that didn't work. There were a couple times when I tried Battery Saved Mode it would drain all the way to 0%, but the next time I ran the phone after recharging it to 100% it still randomly shut off like around 52%. No idea what to do. My phone sometimes even just shuts off at 92%. I don't use bluetooth at all and very rarely since I have problems having it auto connected to my car.

It definitely could be battery issue since I've had mine over 2 years now, bought it the second week it was released. The second issue could be the Android OS Nougat update. Right now I just bring a portable battery with me where ever I go, who knows when it's going to shutoff and show the 0% battery white screen.

Michael556
Paper Tape
Views: 11,666
Message 29 of 39

They'll have you jump through a bunch of hoops but at the end of the day, it'll waste your time.

Why would Lenovo have us 'calibrate' the battery with some long drawn out procedure when every smart phone does that autonomously?  Because you're likely to drop off something you've installed or use that eats up a little extra battery.  Why is that important?  Because they know they have a battery problem, or the little component that accepts and regulates the charge into the battery, so when you see a slight increase in battery life, you shrug your shoulders and leave them alone.  ...Which adds time the clock to get you out of warranty and this is no longer their problem.

I was waiting at the gate in Dulles last week and had a long conversation with a guy that owns a chain of tech stores out west.  He claimed most, not all, of the hoops Motorola has us all jumping through are designed to waste time and effort so we'll just give up and get another phone.  He told me straight up that no tech on any of his payrolls would ever pull that kind of monkeyshines...  He was clear about the fact a batter replacement typically fixes them and that Lenovo has no interest in doing so.  

I've learned a lot in this process.  Essentially, that Motorola/Lenovo has questionable practices.  I'm supremely unhappy about this.

In fact, I'm a little surprised this thread hasn't been nuked by now...  

MNDan
What's DOS?
Views: 11,596
Message 30 of 39

I was having the same issues with my Turbo 2 and was about ready to dump it for a new phone.  As a last ditch measure I had a new battery installed.  It is like a new phone.  The battery draining stopped as did the random shut downs.  If you like how the phone works except for the battery drain and shut down issues I would stongly suggest replacing the battery.  

Top Kudoed Authors