Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 80,099
Message 51 of 648

Re: Turbo 2 won't charge...

Some tips and suggestions:

• If your phone is dead and you plug it in, and it shows as 0% for a long time, unplug it and replug it and it should show the correct charging percentage. (It's charging but the meter isn't correctly showing the increase.) This will be fixed in a future software update.
    • If you are having other charging issues, try a hard reset -- press and hold the power key until the phone restarts
    • Regarding Turbo charging. The "Turbo Charging" pop-up will show when you first plug the phone into a Turbo Charger, but it will not continue to show while the phone charges. If you are looking for that notification to persist, it will not.

All that being said, if you feel your phone is not charging correctly, please check these items and post the results:

• Are you using the Turbo Charger that came with the phone? If not what model of charger?
  • Does the phone charge on a different charger?
  • Will the phone connect via USB to your PC to charge?
  • Will it connect via USB to your PC for non-charging functions, and if so, does it remain connected?

Thanks.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Sweeperd
Punch Card
Views: 79,740
Message 52 of 648

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

Some tips and suggestions:

• If your phone is dead and you plug it in, and it shows as 0% for a long time, unplug it and replug it and it should show the correct charging percentage. (It's charging but the meter isn't correctly showing the increase.) This will be fixed in a future software update.

• If you are having other charging issues, try a hard reset -- press and hold the power key until the phone restarts.

• Regarding Turbo charging. The "Turbo Charging" pop-up will show when you first plug the phone into a Turbo Charger, but it will not continue to show while the phone charges. If you are looking for that notification to persist, it will not.

All that being said, if you feel your phone is not charging correctly, please check these items and post the results:

1. Are you using the Turbo Charger that came with the phone? If not what model of charger?

2. Does the phone charge on a different charger?

3. Will the phone connect via USB to your PC to charge?

4. Will it connect via USB to your PC for non-charging functions, and if so, does it remain connected?

Thanks.

View original

Thank you.  It seems to be charging again after I plugged it into the computer. It doesn't display the "Turbo Charging" when it's plugged into the Turbo Charger but it does seem to be charging quickly.  Here are the answers to the question above.

1. Are you using the Turbo Charger that came with the phone? If not what model of charger? (Yes, I'm using the Turbo Charger)

2. Does the phone charge on a different charger? (Yes)

3. Will the phone connect via USB to your PC to charge? (Yes)

4. Will it connect via USB to your PC for non-charging functions, and if so, does it remain connected?  (No)

03Times
Paper Tape
Views: 79,742
Message 53 of 648

Just trying to be as informative as possible here so it may drag on a bit:
The issue I faced the computer couldn't recognize the phone as far as data transfer. Also one thing that most others may not notice that are seeing the same issue. I could not get my USB on the go thumb drive to be recognized thru phone USB port connection either. I've used this same thumb drive since my Razr Maxx without any issues. I gotta have a hard copy backup too relying strictly on cloud just isn't in me. Even though I have a cloud backup of the cloud backup...lol
    Also the Turbo charge indicator wouldn't show at all, and getting the phone to 100% on or off would take right at 23hrs. Over night with about 7hrs unused charging I would have about a 35% gain. It really seemed to me that one at 70% charging slowed down even more. Originally I thought maybe the problem was in the Qualcomm quick charge software. Until I went to backup my phone for a factory reset, and the thumb drive couldn't be read. Went to the computer, and had the same result no data would transfer or even register trying to read. The phone would try to charge while connected to the computer, but wouldn't run data. That was when I decided to call CS, and see what they thought. Which wasn't anything I didn't already think of trying.
I'm a firm believer in using the chargers that ship with the device, or approved by the phone manufacturer.(Which only consists of car chargers in my case) My favorite saying on G+ is don't use 3rd party chargers as the primary charger only for emergencies should they be used. With that being said my replacement came in, and I plugged it in for the initial charge. Only to notice something that may be the culprit. Call it paranoia or whatever, but the charger just didn't seem to fit right to me. So i grabbed the other turbo charger I had, and it fit the same way. It absolutely doesn't fit as any previous Moto chargers did that I've owned. When I plug it in it's like it sits down on one side at an angle. Not loosely per say, but not square like it should not much, but how much would it take to throw off the USB? So as an experiment for my own sake I grabbed my Turbo charger from the original Turbo, and it fit considerably better. I don't see it being my phone port causing the p
lug to
slant to one side, and since changing cables isn't possible this year the original charger isn't being used on my phone at this time. Yes it's not what is suggested, but I'm using the Droid Turbo 1 charger at the moment. Which surely would be as good as the original??? I still have a few days to see if it makes a difference, but I can't be going without a phone again.
Personally I'm blaming the charger for what happened to my original Turbo 2, because I really think that the USB port could get tweaked by the original charger. Which may cause the charging issue several others seem to be facing. The two chargers I've had fit the exact same with the same side giving in on both chargers. I want to try out on the wife's Moto X2, but she's not having it....lol I ever tried getting her to upgrade, but the X2 is an amazingly great phone still today. If only it had a 3000mah'ish battery. (Which 3000mah should be the absolute minimum in a mid range, and up smartphone today)
Acinfo26
Punch Card
Views: 79,545
Message 54 of 648

I have the same issue, my turbo 2 is 2 months old and is now not turbo charging at all.
It is charging so slow that while I am using it now typing this, it is plugged in and the charge is DROPPING while I use it.
I have tried EVERYTHING from resetting the phone, safe mode and all, and nothing is putting it back into turbo mode.
I believe the problem is not with the charger but with the port, but tomorrow I am headed to the Verizon store to get a new charger.
I will advise what happens after I get the new charger.
Acinfo26
Punch Card
Views: 79,518
Message 55 of 648

Are you using the Turbo Charger that came with the phone? If not what model of charger? (Yes, I'm using the Turbo Charger- Always do)

Does the phone charge on a different charger? (Yes- tried my old turbo charger and it charges the same way- drip,drip,drip)

Will the phone connect via USB to your PC to charge? (Yes)

Will it connect via USB to your PC for non-charging functions, and if so, does it remain connected? (No)
Note, this was an intermittent problem until I updated the OS to Marshmallow on Friday. Now it is consistent. it is charging so slow that its barley charging now. It is actually dropping charge while it is plugged in to charge. and yes, the indicator shows that it is 'charging'.
Acinfo26
Punch Card
Views: 79,491
Message 56 of 648

So here's an update for anyone else having this issue.
Went to the store and it's not my charger, as I thought.
I spoke further with Verizon tech support and told them that i believed it was related to the marahmallow update. I happened to fortunately get a tech support rep that was familiar with the issue and who has a son who has a turbo 2 and was having the exact issue.
She said she spoke with Motorola and they were also familiar with the issue and said that the battery has to be recalibrated because of the OS update.
She said to do that, it has to be charged to 100% and then left in the charger like that for at least a half hour.
She said she did it with her son's turbo 2 and it fixed the problem.
I'll try tonight and post tomorrow how it goes , for anyone else with this issue since the marshmallow update.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 79,485
Message 57 of 648

@Acinfo26 wrote:
So here's an update for anyone else having this issue.
Went to the store and it's not my charger, as I thought.
I spoke further with Verizon tech support and told them that i believed it was related to the marahmallow update. I happened to fortunately get a tech support rep that was familiar with the issue and who has a son who has a turbo 2 and was having the exact issue.
She said she spoke with Motorola and they were also familiar with the issue and said that the battery has to be recalibrated because of the OS update.
She said to do that, it has to be charged to 100% and then left in the charger like that for at least a half hour.
She said she did it with her son's turbo 2 and it fixed the problem.
I'll try tonight and post tomorrow how it goes , for anyone else with this issue since the marshmallow update.

Unfortunately, those instructions are not quite correct...there's a step missing.

In order to calibrate the battery, you have to make it forget what it thinks it knows about the state of its charge, and, this is very, very easy.

Before you go to bed tonight, while the phone is on, press and hold the power button until the screen goes dark and release (this should take about 7 seconds, give or take).  The phone will automatically reboot.  This "7 second reboot" re-sets the battery table.  Now, plug the phone in to charge with the charger that came in the box (no other charger will work for this method), and let it charge overnight.  In the morning, your phone should be fully charged and calibrated.

Let us know how this works out.

Acinfo26
Punch Card
Views: 79,452
Message 58 of 648

Well Crystal, it looks like I wont be able to try out the re-calibrate method. 

My phone got down to 3% so I held down the power button to re-start it (step 1 of the re-calibrate) and it shut down, showed the symbol for a dead battery, so I plugged it in to try and re-start and nothing. Now nothing shows up on the screen, no dead battery symbol, no charging symbol, no green LED, nothing, like the phone wasnt plugged in, but it is. 

I tried holding down the power and the up volume button to reset it- nothing, tried holding down the power and down volume button to get it into  saftey mode- nothing .

this is as dead as a brick now. If it doesnt resurect itself somehow over night then I'm done with this and I'm having a new one sent to me. This phone is only 2 months old and I need my phone for business and cant have these issues. 

I dont know if the port is bad, or if something burnt out on the board or what, but at this point it is for Moto to figure out when I send them back the phone AFTER I get my replacement. 

I have had moto's since the razr came out4-5 years ago and then went to the maxx, then to the turbo and now the turbo 2 and this is not what I expect for Moto quality and reliability. 

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 79,425
Message 59 of 648

Let me know if you were able to recover it. I suspect it will charge okay and if not, please try volume-down+power again, while plugged in.

While we are primarily a peer-to-peer support community, Moto employees will try to help if needed. To make that possible, please make sure your profile is filled in, and be sure to provide your serial number. Thanks.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Acinfo26
Punch Card
Views: 79,410
Message 60 of 648

Hi Matt, 

FYI, Profile has been completed for you. 

I was able to recover it but it is charging so slow that it actually dies while in the charger. So I removed the SIM card and moved it to an older Moto Maxx of mine. 

Now that the turbo 2 is offline, I have been able to get it 30% over the last 6 hours of charging. 

Since I can not be without my phone for business and since my Maxx is so slow and outdated with the apps I have on it and all, I have a replacement T2 coming overnight from Verizon cause I can not risk still having this problem in the morning if the re-calibration doesnt do the fix.

Never the less, I am still going to try to trouble shoot this for the benefit of the others out their in the Moto T2 community who are having this issue.

So let me know if you have any other thoughts rigth now other than re-calibrating it.

Thanks for the assistance.

Alan  

Top Kudoed Authors