Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RCharles456
Paper Tape
Views: 2,821
Message 1 of 8

Using a Motorola Android phone WITHOUT a google acount

I've finally decided to get a smart phone; too many people texting my antique flip phone.

My understanding is that an Android phone is initiated by connecting with Google and opening a Google account.   I'm underwhelmed with Google and work hard to keep it out of my life.  I've already learned I cannot delete pre-installed Google apps but I can turn them off and hide them.

Can I successfully operate and use a Motorola Android phone without a connection to Google?    Will this be so complicated and/or limited that it's not worth my trying?

Thanks

R C G

lewwill
802.11n
Views: 2,815
Message 2 of 8

Re: Using a Motorola Android phone WITHOUT a google acount

The operating sytem is Google.  I believe you do need a gmail address.  I have a Moto X Pure and my wife has a Droid Turbo 2.  Both are excellent phones and the capabilities are amazing.  I don't know why you have a aversion to Google but I can tell you as a long time user that it is an amazing tool.   As with any internet connected device you can and should limit the personal information you put online. Especially social media sites.  Using common sense, smartphones can really make life more fun.

Highlighted
RCharles456
Paper Tape
Views: 2,805
Message 3 of 8

Hi Lewwill

Actually, my understanding is that Android is the OS, which was initiated by Google but is separate.   Since posting this message I've learned there are open source versions of Android that can be installed in some smart phones and which eliminate much of the Google footprint in commercial versions of Android.

Here's a discussion: Android OS without Google Services?

The EU is now investigating how Google is violating their antitrust rules by giving preference to Google product and services during searches, etc.   Apparently I cannot post a URL here but a search for EU Google Android Abuse will give you a lot of information.

Regards

R C G

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,798
Message 4 of 8

@RCharles456 wrote:

I've finally decided to get a smart phone; too many people texting my antique flip phone.

My understanding is that an Android phone is initiated by connecting with Google and opening a Google account.   I'm underwhelmed with Google and work hard to keep it out of my life.  I've already learned I cannot delete pre-installed Google apps but I can turn them off and hide them.

Can I successfully operate and use a Motorola Android phone without a connection to Google?    Will this be so complicated and/or limited that it's not worth my trying?

Thanks

R C G

You can setup the phone and skip the Google account setup. But if your phone is stolen, you can't reset it, or block others from reselling. You can't install apps, backup contacts, photos, etc. 

the simple thing to do is set up a google account and not use it. Disable sync for all but apps. You can then use maps, browser, install apps, etc.  just don't use gmail. Don't use the Google account for anything. Else.  Their are other contact apps that don't use google too. 

But, in your other thread, you said a Google search showed you other possible OS to install.  So you do use google.  

Others have done this, but I have to ask. What do you want the smart phone for? Maybe you don't need it if you aren't going to use the features. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
RCharles456
Paper Tape
Views: 2,777
Message 5 of 8

Hello Alpha Dog

Thanks for the helpful comments on how to use an Android phone and survive Google.

I'm less concerned with losing the phone than with sacrificing my privacy to Google tracking. Ideally I'll find a way to back up contcts, etc. right on my laptop.   

I do use google search but with cookies turned off and I skip any response that is displayed as a Google operation.  If I must turn on cookies for a financial transaction I monitor which ones arrive, block the google, doubleclick and other suspects, and delete everything when the transaction is completed.

I'm cnsidering a smart phone due to the ever increasing text messages.  I've fought this for a few years, telling folks that both my phone and I are too old for texting, but I've been overwhelmed; my doctors, dentist and many other services, along with many friends, all use texting to contact me and I cannot refuse any longer.  My Moto RAZR is an excellent cell phone but texting with it is more than difficult.   Beyond texting, I'll probably take the occasional picture (no selfies) but I'll download them to my laptop for distribution or saving.     And I'll install a few non-Google apps of interest.

I've had an iPad for a few years, intending it to be my alternative to a smart phone, but Apple dropped the direct synching link, between the iPad and Macintosh laptop, insisting I had to use Apple's cloud to link the two.   Sorry but no.    Similarly I have no interest in putting anything on Google's cloud.

Hope I've answered your questions.

R C G

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,774
Message 6 of 8

So my advice is this:

1. Don't mess with alternate OS. You void your warranty, and you can use the phone without Google without being this drastic. 

2. Setup a Google account and don't use it. After setup, disable sync for contacts, calendar and everything else 

3. You can use the apps on your phone, and still download other apps but no backup to the cloud

4. Pictures are easy to backup via USB cable

5. If you want to backup calendars/contacts you may want to look for an alternate app other then the one on the phone.  Spend your time now looking for answers to this.  The Google play store is accessible via your browser, and you seem capable to find similar answers

6. If you do find apps that require an email, you can always use your gmail account with sync off - manually sending and receiving email.

7. The mobile browser has incognito mode, so you can be anonymous

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
OinkOink
Paper Tape
Views: 380
Message 7 of 8

OinkOink
Paper Tape
Views: 374
Message 8 of 8

@lewwill wrote:

The operating sytem is Google.  I believe you do need a gmail address.  I have a Moto X Pure and my wife has a Droid Turbo 2.  Both are excellent phones and the capabilities are amazing.  I don't know why you have a aversion to Google but I can tell you as a long time user that it is an amazing tool.   As with any internet connected device you can and should limit the personal information you put online. Especially social media sites.  Using common sense, smartphones can really make life more fun.

*Some dislike feeling controlled, under surveillance - for marketing purposes, statistics, whatever else - & having their info. open to being hacked - As you say,  not so bad if you give out as few genuine details as possible; the less private data stored in one 'open' place the better should there be a breach - but it is annoying when you have little choice over using it; to have to opt out, with difficulty, rather than to opt in.