cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AboveTheClouds
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,144
Message 21 of 42

Re: Warning Regarding your Moto ShatterShield Screen that is "guaranteed not to break"

I was referring to your posted transcript of your chat with the Moto rep, not your educational efforts. Good luck with your warranty replacement.

DickEmery
Paper Tape
Views: 2,100
Message 22 of 42

Re: Warning Regarding your Moto ShatterShield Screen that is "guaranteed not to break"

You have this all wrong and I understand your frustration.

The warranty does *NOT* I repeat *NOT* cover accidental damage to the phone. That is what phone insurance is for. So dropping your phone is accidental damage. The warranty covers faults during *NORMAL* usage (no drops etc). The problem comes with the wording 'Guaranteed not to shatter or crack'. But! The caveat is

that they guarantee this during *NORMAL* use (put in your pocket etc). No drops. No sitting on it in your back pocket etc. This means that if there is damage to the underlaying structures due to a drop it is not covered. In fact it's simply not covered from accidental drops. If the top portion does shatter it is user replaceable at *YOUR* cost. If the screen shatters during *NORMAL* use then the onus is on you to prove that there is a fault with the phone. This is a clever get out clause for Motorola and many other companies and is perfectly normal and probably legal too. Unfortunately I highly doubt you will win in a court of law. But you can try if you have the time and money to burn. I was going to send this link to a news site in disgust but to be honest now I think about it I can see Motorola's point. Apple tend to replace stuff because they have a better customer relations and accept losses. Some other companies are more protective of their losses and do not like to set precedents.

I hope this clears things up for you.

doogald
802.11n
Views: 2,069
Message 23 of 42

I believe that you are wrong about the warranty not covering accidental shattering of the display. What the warranty specifically does not cover, however, are scratches of breaks to the outer protective lens. That's what costs $29 to repair.

The warranty is mentioned on this page: http://www.motorola.com/us/Moto-Shattershield/moto-shattershield.html - the footnote at the bottom:

"The display and embedded lens are warranted against shattering and cracking for four (4) years from the original date of purchase; scratches or other damage to the protective lens is not covered by this warranty, but should always be in place to prevent scratches and other damage to the underlying components. This phone is not shockproof or designed to withstand all damage from dropping. All other warranty exclusions, including scratches and other cosmetic damage, intentional damage or abuse, normal wear and tear and other limitations apply."

So, it seems that Motorola is charging the user for the damaged protective lens, which does cost $29.

DickEmery
Paper Tape
Views: 2,057
Message 24 of 42

You still have it wrong.

'The display and embedded lens are warranted against shattering and cracking for four (4) years from the original date of purchase'. The effective word here is 'warranted'. Not guaranteed not to shatter. That means it is 'warranted' against shattering through 'normal' use. That does not cover accidental damage. The top layer is not warranted or gauranteed whatsoever which is why it costs the customer to replace it even if they did not damage it accidentally. Again the onus is on the customer to prove it broke without dropping it or sitting on it etc.

These companies have pretty crafty wording and their legal departments are pretty clever at getting around what you believe to be 'your rights'. I do not agree with it but I cannot see how you will prove anything here.

rbird2
Punch Card
Views: 2,032
Message 25 of 42

Well this is "leaving a bad taste" for a lot of Verizon/Motorola customers.

Just because a company can use weasel wording to get out of fixing their flagship phone that customers bought in good faith based on cleaver advertising is not right.

I as well as others were told by the Verizon store salesmen that the screen was covered for "any" damage for 4 years. This is one of the main reasons I bought the phone.

I like my Motorola Droid Turbo 2, but because of this B.S I may be forced to look elseware for my next phone.

doogald
802.11n
Views: 2,022
Message 26 of 42

This is the Catch 22 of warranties. The display is warranted not to shatter, and will be replaced at no charge if it does. But, if it shatters, it can only have shattered if it was improperly handled. Since the warranty doesn't cover improper handling, the display will not be replaced under warranty.

jdscranton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,018
Message 27 of 42

@doogald wrote:

This is the Catch 22 of warranties. The display is warranted not to shatter, and will be replaced at no charge if it does. But, if it shatters, it can only have shattered if it was improperly handled. Since the warranty doesn't cover improper handling, the display will not be replaced under warranty.

This is correct and this is the fact that customers need to understand about the Droid 2 AND about Motorola. 

They sell you an unbreakable screen with Ashton Kutcher dropping phones on concrete and with Verizon employees telling you it can not break. 

But, when you break it, they toss you into a feedback loop of terrible customer service. 

The only recourse is court (which I will eventually pursue if they don't replace my screen) or to let the public know how bad this company is (which I am doing now).

Pac757
Paper Tape
Views: 1,999
Message 28 of 42

This is really a shame, I've been buying Motorola phones for as long as I can remember. They were always the best phones for cell reception (it seems phone manufacturers forgotten that this device is a phone first and foremost; looking at you Samsung) but recently it seems quality control is gone, Motorola is not the cell phone giant it once was and it seems like Lenovo really could care less if the cell phone division crashes and burns.  I really question why they even bought Motorola Mobil to begin with, this phone, (Droid turbo 2) will be my last Motorola phone. The last really good product from them was the Nexus 6, which I use for my personal phone and will continue to use till it's totally dead. The Droid turbo 2 was forced on me as my work phone, I really don't like Samsung phones as every one I've owned has had terrible cell signals. Also I'm in the IT / Electronic Communication field as a field service engineer, so having a reliable phone is important. I just returned my purchased, brand new Droid turbo 2 to Verizon today, I just received it via FedEx yesterday afternoon and not only was it defective, I obviously got a phone someone returned, it had a manufactured date like December 12th, the shatter shield had already been replaced with a Motorola one as the Verizon check mark logo between the speakers wasn't even on it. I am going to try one more time. We have to use Verizon for work, so if this next Droid turbo 2 is defective and Samsung's cell signal can not be trusted, that leaves us LG and HTC to pick from for company phones. Our COM department is meeting next week to decide what phones and what provider we will be using next year, and sadly, I doubt very seriously Motorola is going to be in the mix, and quite a few employees aren't really to crazy about Verizon either, CDMA just doesn't penetrate interior building and rooms with a lot of equipment in them. 

MrsRic
Paper Tape
Views: 1,907
Message 29 of 42

I have had Motorola cell phones since they made the original brick and bag phones.  I was  enticed by the Turbo 2 as soon as I saw the specs.  It was the shatterproof screen and the four-year warranty that was my deciding factor to purchase this phone.

This phone has been replaced three times in the last 12 weeks.  The charger has been replaced once.  Never in the past have I had this much trouble with a phone.

Motorola Customer service is horrible.  These people are not trained to help, they can only read from the scripts they are provided for dealing with situations.  Now I read about the warranty issues.  I special ordered this phone through Moto-Maker so I could get the 64gb model and due to this I have to go directly through Motorola for warranty issues, I can't go to Verizon Wireless as normal.  

I grew up on Motorola products and am now very disappointed in the company.  IMHO....The warranty and screen specs are deliberately put at the forefront to make this phone more enticing.  I feel I have been duped by Motorola and I will never purchase another Motorola product.

If a class-action suit were to be filed. I will gladly join in.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,902
Message 30 of 42

@MrsRic, are you saying that your screen broke 3 times in 3 months?  And why was the charger replaced?  Was it faulty?  Did another charger work when the Motorola turbo charger wouldn't?