cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DickEmery
Paper Tape
Views: 1,490
Message 31 of 42

Re: Warning Regarding your Moto ShatterShield Screen that is "guaranteed not to break"

I highly doubt that. Probably other issues. My first phone had a depressed/faulty power button and had to be exchanged. Apart from an issue with signal quality in my home the replacement has otherwise worked perfectly.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,485
Message 32 of 42

Re: Warning Regarding your Moto ShatterShield Screen that is "guaranteed not to break"

Well, let's see what the user has to say.  I would also doubt that the screen broke that often, but the screen is the topic of this thread.

I don't want the actual issue to get lost in the wrong thread, never to be found again.

MrsRic
Paper Tape
Views: 1,443
Message 33 of 42

Hi...No, I did not state my phone was replaced due to screen issues. 

Let me say...this phone was paid in full ($694.00) when I purchased it...in the past I had always had great experience with Motorola products (that is why I took care of full payment)...I am in the fourth generation of my family to use Motorola.

Phone issues:

First phone:  Engraving was left off the leather back.  Instead of just sending me a new back, Motorola policy required I get a new phone.   Received new phone in approximately two weeks.

Second phone:  After 2-1/2 weeks of using the phone the turbo charge feature stopped working.  I received a replacement phone.  It took over a month to get the replacement.

Charger issue:  I received a new charger with phone 2.  In approximately 2-weeks turbo charger stopped working.   Turbo charger was replaced in approximately 48-hours.

Phone three:  This phone is in need of replacing, people do not always hear me during a conversation and I am forced to use the speaker phone feature or my headset to be heard and/or there is a lot of static on the line and the connection is terminated.   I cannot wait another month to receive a replacement device from Motorola. I am considering using this phone as a trade in on a new Samsung.

Dealing with Motorola's customer service is horrible!  I ask very specific questions and I am read from a script an answer the CSR thinks fits, yet the answer clearly has nothing to do with the issue I am speaking to them about.  Or they continue to talk and tell me of something that has nothing to do with the conversation we are having.  Since I felt I wasn't being heard during my second phone replacement conversation -- in setting up the replacement for phone two -- I asked the CSR if I could plan on it taking 20 (twenty) different phones before I got one that would work properly...her response was "YES, happily it could".

It is disheartening what has happened to Motorola.  I am the fourth generation in my family to look for and specifically use Motorola products.  Unless there are much needed changes made with Motorola's customer service, product dependability, and questionable warranty "bait-and-switch" practices, I will be the first generation to stop.

In answer to questions as to why I posted my first review and now my answer on this thread....the screen warranty issue -- since my number one reason for purchasing the Turbo 2 was the "crack resistent" screen (and now if as I have read in this thread just dropping the phone voids the warranty, plus questions on replacing a problematic screen ... it seems Motorola has worded the warranty in such a way as to their never having to replace a screen) AND the possibility of a class-action attorney stepping in.

Personal Note:  If I had any idea I would be having any of the problems I am experiencing, I would not have used MotoMaker and purchased the 64gb phone.  I would have purchased the 32gb phone and financed it with Verizonwireless so that I could have issues handled with them.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,427
Message 34 of 42

True, you said nothing about your screen, but screens are the topic of this thread.

Properly removing and replacing the back isn't easy, and if the customer removes the back, since there are no user serviceable parts, the warranty is void.

Agree completely that inventory issues caused excessive delays for a lot of people.  Very sorry you were one of them.  But are you saying that both phone 2 and the charger that came with phone 2 were faulty and failed at different times?  There is a known charging issue with the Turbo 2, but people are not complaining that there's a problem with the charger.  That would be a new issue that I would bring to someone's attention.  

If, in fact, phone 3 needs replacing, we will escalate for you to make sure your exchange is processed in a timely fashion.

I disagree with your assessment of the screen warranty.  Falls typically break the screen and nothing else. The screen itself is not designed to protect every part of the phone, so only the screen carries the 4 year warranty.

And I don't see anything that points to a bait-and-switch type of sales tactic here.  What I do see is a repair mess that never should have happened, and I will forward this on for review.

sandersjc64
Punch Card
Views: 1,404
Message 35 of 42

@MrsRic wrote:

Phone three:  This phone is in need of replacing, people do not always hear me during a conversation and I am forced to use the speaker phone feature or my headset to be heard and/or there is a lot of static on the line and the connection is terminated.   I cannot wait another month to receive a replacement device from Motorola. I am considering using this phone as a trade in on a new Samsung.

If you haven't done so already, try turning off Advanced Calling if you have it on and see if that improves that particular situation. It's causing similar issues in a good many of these devices since MM and this seems to be the only effective remedy at the moment. 

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,400
Message 36 of 42

Here goes my drop story, and end results.  I was on a business tirp lately and dropped it the other night in my hotel room, right onto the edge of the little coffee table. The edge of the table was not smooth, had some rough spots from years of use (like most hotel furniture). It hit just right and punctured my Verizon brand screen protector. I didn't want to peel it off until I got home. I peeled off the screen protector yesterday and sure enough, it put a tiny dent & small tear in the outer layer of the screen. The good news is that piece is replaceable for around $30. I went to Verizon yesterday and bought a tempered glass screen protector to see how that looks over the blemish.  I can still see the small mark in ceratin lighting conditions, but it's not horrible, about the size of a small .9MM pencil lead.  Looks like I might have to replace the outer layer at some point, will see how it goes and if that tiny blemish bothers me over time. Do I blame Motorola? Nope, I dropped it, I blame myself. Do I think their warranty is misleading? Nope, it clearly states that the screen and phone are not indestructible.  Do I expect Motorola to replace my phone via warranty?  Nope.  I knew when buying this that it was a 5 layer design and the outer layer can be damaged and scuffed up. The shattershield screen did exactly what it was designed to do, not crack or shatter! If that was most phones the other day, I would probably be shopping for a new phone or new screen right now.  I can live with a tiny mark in the outer layer for a while, the screen didn't crack and the phone is stull fully functional.  What an awesome phone!  Smiley Happy

~Scott
BobFire
WWAN
Views: 1,391
Message 37 of 42

OUCH. Thank goodness the shatter sheild can be replaced too. 

@sajokaz wrote:

Here goes my drop story, and end results.  I was on a business tirp lately and dropped it the other night in my hotel room, right onto the edge of the little coffee table.

BOB

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,386
Message 38 of 42

@BobFire wrote:

OUCH. Thank goodness the shatter sheild can be replaced too. 

@sajokaz wrote:

Here goes my drop story, and end results.  I was on a business tirp lately and dropped it the other night in my hotel room, right onto the edge of the little coffee table.

Very true Bob.  I am happy that the new technology works, it didn't crack or break; like many other phones would have.  Robot Happy  For right now, I am OK with a tiny tear in the outer layer, it's covered up by a glass screen protector and not too bad looking.  I know it's there, so I notice it.  My wife had a hard time finding the tiny mark when I asked her to look for it. 

~Scott
joelinvegas
What's DOS?
Views: 787
Message 39 of 42

We certainly are getting off topic. I am currently in the market for a new phone as i my 5th samsung galaxy s7 edge has been rendered completely inoperable due to a pathetic 6 inch drop onto a wooden table edge, and i caught it before it hit the floor. All while having the most expensive OtterBox case on it. This happened because the impact was on the EDGE, where the screen curves and for whatever reason even a miniscule impact will crack the screen and kill the ENTIRE display. 

So i'm looking for a more durable phone, specifically a more durable screen, because I always get the best protective cover I can to safegaurd the "other components" of the phone but can do nothing for the screen. My research inevitably lead me to the review of the Motorolla Z Force, which lead me to this thread. Up to the point of this specific review I was pretty much sold on this phone due primarily to the stated claim that the screen was shatter proof. The specs are pretty much on par with other brands, and I researched "rugged smartphones" which are mid-leval quality, so really the ONLY reason I was sold on this equipment was this claim. I dont want to argue semantics, "warranty" vs "gaurantee", But the video ads specifically show the product being dropped from user level heights and inferring it not breaking is due to the shatterproof technology. Now, you can argue the warrany specifically states the differences between the shattershield and screen, and that the user is responsible for the shattershield, but the OP specifically states the screen is cracked under the shattershield. The problem I have with this is the fact that at no time has it been offered to replace the screen, if not the shattershield, because of "cosmetic" damages due to dropping the phone. The term cosmetic refers to the visual apperances,  like scratches and scuffs and dents. the SCREEN is cracked, which is not cosmetic, nor the Shattershield, and the video ads, tv commercials, and all other ads SPECIFICALLY show the device being DROPPED from the same stated heigth as the main reason to buy this product instead of others. 

So what i'm getting from all this is that Lenovo simply has no problem in engaging in "smoke and mirror" advertising (as opposed to bait and switch) in order to sell products and fall back on creative terminology and legal interpretations that directly contradict the implied interpretations of their ads when they dont perform, again, as implied. 

I, too, grew up with Motorolla products and intentionaly used companies that used its products and equipment because of my confidence in the quality of the product and integrity of the company. But, sadly, this thread has laid bare the truth. If for no other reason than the quality of customer service, I have decided to buy an LG, and I really have no confidence in that brand.

joelinvegas
What's DOS?
Views: 786
Message 40 of 42

The Shattershield is designed to keep the SCREEN from shattering or cracking, so it did not perform as intended in the OP's case.