Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID TURBO by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

97 Posts

07-08-2012

United States of America

135 Signins

1571 Page Views

• Views: 1571
  • Message 11 of 29

Re: Battery drain after MM

2017-02-05, 12:49 PM

Turbo_One and M4jor, you both show a sudden change in battery drain at a specific time.  When you see that, you should try to determine the time of day that drop started, and where you were and what you were doing.  Did you open a specific app? Did you enter a building where cell signal dropped significantly?  If you tap on the battery drain graph, look at the time that heavy drain started and directly below it will be several graphs that show things such as cell signal, camera, GPS on, wifi on, awake, screen on and charging.   Something is happening a specific time that initiates that battery drain.  I don't think that is necessarily related to the MM update, unless you have an app on your phone that is not yet optimized for MM. One thing I've discovered is that the mirrored windows in my office building affect the cell signal reception inside. Since I am restricted from connecting to WiFi in the office, the phone struggles hold the cell signal. I know that the phone will drain the battery faster when dropping to 3G, and 1x or off the data network and with low cell signal (1 or 2 bars).  So look at your location and what you are doing with the phone at the time that drastic battery drain starts.

I have noticed this trend with every major OS upgrade on all of my droid based phones, razr, Maxx, Turbo. After an android update, there is a period of time where battery drain seems high, but then it improves after a few weeks.  I am seeing that now.  In just the last few days I have noticed my battery drain has improved.  From a 12 hour charge life back to a 40 hour charge life.  I have removed a number of apps that both suspected might be at issue and also ones I haven't used in ages.  

The lesson is, be patient, analyze your usage time compared to the battery graph to find cuplprit apps, and clean house, get rid of apps you don't use anymore or haven't used in a long time, and try uninstalling a few new apps to see if they causing the battery drain.

Options

366 Posts

10-12-2012

United States of America

896 Signins

21913 Page Views

• Views: 21913
  • Message 12 of 29

2017-02-05, 17:22 PM

Just a suggestion:  Take a careful look at your settings for Advanced Calling.  This option enables video calling, HD Voice audio, and VoIP Calling over WiFi.  I set the Video back to DISABLED, left just HD audio and WiFi calling enabled, and noted improved battery life.  Others also have commented that battery drain seems higher after the MM update in areas with low 4G LTE signal strength.  Enabling WiFi calling can offset that if you are in a place with good WiFi signals.

Options

43 Posts

08-15-2016

Italy

41 Signins

434 Page Views

• Views: 434
  • Message 13 of 29

2017-02-06, 12:04 PM

Hi; how can I downgrade to Lollipop? Please tell me

Options

11 Posts

01-31-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

169 Page Views

• Views: 169
  • Message 14 of 29

2017-02-06, 18:38 PM

Apparently marshmallow actually patched the unofficial method of downgrading, and due to some kind of agreement between Verizon I think, the Droid turbo cannot be officially unlocked either.

So if under settings -> about phone -> hardware information it says your phone's SKU is XT1254 you're out of luck.

If it says something else, you might be able to request an unlock code from Motorola.

Options

43 Posts

08-15-2016

Italy

41 Signins

434 Page Views

• Message 15 of 29

2017-02-06, 22:46 PM

Thanks; I can say that it's a shame to deliver such an update, MM, for this phone...before, battery was incredible

Options

97 Posts

07-08-2012

United States of America

135 Signins

1571 Page Views

• Message 16 of 29

2017-02-06, 22:49 PM

You cannot downgrade after an Android version upgrade.  The only way to accomplish anything close is to root your phone and load some mod developed outside of the Google/Moto/Verizon world.  I don't personally recommend this. Rooting your phone is not something to take lightly. It would probably void any warranty you have left on your phone as well.  Rooting is really only for the highest level Android 'geeks'.  I'm a geek, but I'm not to that level yet. Root your phone and you could brick it if you don't know what you're doing. I'd stay away from it.

Have some patience, and start deleting old and unused apps. This will work itself out. And clear your cache if you haven't already done so.  I can't remember if you did that, and this new forum won't allow me to go back and look while I'm typing a message.

Options

43 Posts

08-15-2016

Italy

41 Signins

434 Page Views

• Message 17 of 29

2017-02-06, 23:05 PM

I made the wipe cache partition before and after the updating; then an hard reset...apps on my phone are just a few...

Options

11 Posts

01-31-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

169 Page Views

• Views: 169
  • Message 18 of 29

2017-02-07, 1:45 AM
I did the same thing about a week ago, and I even disabled most of the preinstalled apps that I don't use.

I don't use many apps either.
Options

43 Posts

08-15-2016

Italy

41 Signins

434 Page Views

• Message 19 of 29

2017-02-07, 13:42 PM

...with no result...battery draining is very hard, always...as I said in a previous post, in standby battery draining is incredible...please, Lenovo, help us!! 

Options

97 Posts

07-08-2012

United States of America

135 Signins

1571 Page Views

• Message 20 of 29

2017-02-08, 22:32 PM

A couple of other thoughts, try running in airplane mode for a day.  Switch airplane mode on when you put the phone down, then when you need it, turn airplane mode off.  You can still access WiFi while in airplane mode, but you might not receive phone calls unless you have wifi calling on.  Once every hour or two you flip airplane mode off to check voice mails and return calls, then turn it back on. If your battery drain improves while doing this, it could be some proof that your dealing with a poor cellular signal and that might be why your phone battery drains fast.

Also, have you tried booting to safe mode?  This is similar to booting your windows pc to safe mode, it reduces your phone to operating in just its basic state. eliminates apps and I don't know what else.  Two things you could get out of this: 1) if battery drain does not improve, then you probably do have a real system issue or its back to your cellular signal strength analysis again.  2) if running in safe mode solves your battery drain issue, then you know it is some app. Either way, safe mode will give you some good answers.

If it turns out to be a cell signal issue, not much you can do about that except put the phone in airplane mode until you reach a better signal location.  Being inside office buildings, below ground or in any location where cell signal is poor seems to put the droid phones into some desperate signal seeking state that just drains the battery. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms