Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID TURBO by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

01-23-2015

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 10

Bluetooth garbled incoming voice with Uconnect

2015-01-23, 22:05 PM

Hello,

Has anyone had an issue with Dodge Uconnect and garbled incoming voice from a call with a Droid Turbo? Purchased a Droid Turbo for my wife and son about 2 months ago and have been trying to resolve this issue through Verizon and Motorola support but not having any success.

We have three Dodge cars with built in bluetooth hands free access through their system called Uconnect. The cars are as follows:

2005 Dodge Magnum, 2007 Caliber, 2008 Caliber

We have used Dodge Uconnect bluetooth hands free functions with the following phones with all three of these cars successfully with no issues with voice quality ever:

Droid X, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG VN270, Motorola Razor V3M

We pair the Droid Turbo to the car, make a call and the voice quality incoming and outgoing is fine. Once we leave the car (turn it off) and then come back, start the car and bluetooth reconnects, any calls made have garbled voice (sounds like the caller is under water talking) on the incoming voice. They hear us just fine so the outgoing voice quality is OK. This condition exits continuously  unless we unpair the phone, pair it again and then voice quality is fine but again once the car is turned off and on the quality is impared again.

After working with Motorola phone support and not resolving the issue with multiple phone resets we went back to the Verizon store and showed them the issue. They exchanged the phone for us with hope that it was a bad phone but it still failed. What is puzzling is that I ask them if one of them had a Turbo we could try before the exchange and it did work fine when we turned off the car then restarted it! Must have been an older version of the Turbo...??? I have contacted Motorola support multiple times since then and supposedly they were sending this to "level 3' tech support but no one ever got back to us.

Any ideas? We are to a point where it seems the only solution is to get Verizon to take the Turbo phones back and exchange them for a Samsung Galaxy S4 phones that I know works fine since I use it every day to call home.

LenJ

Options

131 Posts

12-10-2014

United States

22 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Bluetooth garbled incoming voice with Uconnect

2015-01-23, 22:17 PM

I know this sounds crazy and not the solution you are looking for but have experienced this with other phones but not my droid turbo. However was always able to fix it by cutting off my bluetooth when not in use and restarting my phone at least every three days.

Options

8 Posts

01-23-2015

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2015-01-25, 21:55 PM

Thanks Seaton76,

Tried turning on and off the Turbo Bluetooth but still have same issue. The only thing that works is after the car is running I wait for the Turbo to connect to the car. Then go into the Turbo Settings / Bluetooth and disconnect Bluetooth. Wait 10 to 20 seconds then do multiple Bluetooth connects until the phone finally connects (yes it takes several attempts) then the incoming voice is fine for the remainder of the time the car is on. To make the phone work I have to do this every time I get in and start the car. Unfortunately it takes several minutes to complete this sequence.

One other point is that after I did a disconnect / reconnect sequence on the Turbo in the car I called with Moto tech support (level 2?) and he had me clear the data and cache for the Bluetooth. As soon as I did that the voice became garbled immediately. Sure sounds like a software problem where there may be an incoming voice encryption parameter being cleared. Why else would the voice be garbled and then not under the same conditions? And it's not just one car one model year. It's three different cars over 4 model years.

Len J.

Options

363 Posts

12-26-2014

United States of America

113 Signins

1148 Page Views

• Views: 1148
  • Message 4 of 10

2015-02-01, 15:55 PM

Can you contact Dodge and see if there are any firmware updates for your car audio system?

Options

8 Posts

01-23-2015

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2015-02-01, 16:38 PM

I did. No updates.

Options

21 Posts

01-30-2015

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2015-02-04, 10:58 AM

Interesting. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 with a 730N RHR radio head unit with UConnect. I have successfully paired my Turbo BN to my truck's UConnect but have yet to actually make or receive a call while connected.

This makes me wonder if I may encounter a similar issue. I will test this out and report back.

Options

21 Posts

01-30-2015

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2015-02-06, 5:00 AM

Okay.. reporting back.

With my Turbo BN connected to my Ram's UConnect, and both the phone and the radio unit displaying the connection I conducted a few tests.

While driving, I made one outbound call to my husband's Turbo BN and the sound was impeccable on my end (through the truck's speakers) and on my husband's end.

Also while driving, my husband called me. I answered using the dedicated phone button on the steering wheel and, again, the sound was perfection on both his Turbo and through my truck speakers.

I turned the truck off and went into work. Approximately one hour later, I started the truck and while driving back home, we repeated both the outbound and inbound calls. Both worked and sounded as seamless as before.

My curiosity is peaked here. Have you considered taking your Dodge(s) to the dealership? Perhaps if you show them your phone and explain what you are trying to do and what the result should be they may have some answers. I know that when I first purchased my Ram, I had issues connecting my Razr Maxx to the UConnect. After several attempts to troubleshoot the issue over the phone, I ended up at my dealership and the service department (they are your bestest friends, btw :p) and with both the phone and truck in front of them, they were able to smooth out my issue and get the two to work together without further frustration on my part.

Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram put numerous varying radio units into their fleet. There may be a known connection issue with your specific radio unit (as was the case with my 730N RHR). The dealership should be able to help you out in at least figuring out whether the issue lies with the vehicle's equipment or not.

Good luck! I certainly know and have felt your frustration. Keep us posted on this and surely let us know when/how it is fixed!

Options

167 Posts

12-03-2013

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2015-02-11, 12:49 PM

@Len J Do you notice the issue with Droid Turbo and all the three cars( 2005 Dodge Magnum, 2007 Caliber, 2008 Caliber)?

Options

8 Posts

01-23-2015

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2015-02-13, 2:43 AM

Yes all three have the issue of garbled (over modulated ?) incoming voice.

Options

4 Posts

03-02-2011

United States of America

4 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 10 of 10

2019-07-24, 0:48 AM

I have the same garbled audio problem, but only my voice is garbled to listeners.  I bought my 08 Caliber SRT-4 new and still love to drive it every day.  The problem began one on my Motorola phone, an Atrix2 if I remember right.  My wife's iPhone4 worked fine.  But as time passed, I kept the car, but our phones kept getting newer.  Now, no phone works properly with the U-Connect.  I looked into firmware updates because I'm guessing the Bluetooth standards are changing.  All Chrysler U-Connect modules can get firmware updates, except for the earliest ones (2008).  I've given up, but I check the internet once in a while, hoping that some Mopar savant shines light on us.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms