Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Droid PhonesDROID TURBO by Motorola
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

06-13-2016

United States of America

51 Signins

197 Page Views

• Views: 197
  • Message 491 of 592

Re: Un-Official Marshmallow (Android 6.x) News here

2016-10-13, 17:08 PM

I have followed this forum for a while now and have come to respect the opinions of most here. I have a question, has anyone here ever had their phone taken over by a virus? Has anyone here actually seen a phone that has a virus or was compromised?

I can answer no on all accounts. I have never seen a phone get compromised nor do I have first hand experience with someone who has had a phone compromised. 

I know we all put a lot of emphasis on security and vulnerabilities, but I am trying to figure out if that emphasis is misplaced. I have to get new phones for our company in a few months and the safe bet would have been Galaxy S7 and Note7. But Note is no longer an option. I would then look at Pixel and Pixel XL. However, Moto Z Droid and Moto Z Droid Force seem like exceptional phones with a lot of upside (other than software updates). 

So I ask, has anyone actually ever seen a phone (android or apple) that was compromised by a virus or keylogger?

Options

73 Posts

11-24-2013

United States of America

52 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 492 of 592

2016-10-13, 17:19 PM

Security updates are important as long as Google chooses to let anybody post anything they please on the Play store. I haven't personally had a phone locked by ransomware but it does happen, and it can happen to people who get tricked into downloading something wiht a similar name mades to look like the original, right from Google's primary app market. 

Options

281 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

123 Signins

1897 Page Views

• Views: 1897
  • Message 493 of 592

2016-10-13, 17:26 PM

While I haven't had a device compromised I work in a BYOD corporate environment. A compromised device becomes my responsilibity. I don't want to take that risk. It only takes 1 breach to cost an individual a lot of trouble. I don't want to leave that window open. We are seeing Ransomware coming via infected ad banners, what's to stop that on a device. I believe it is only a matter of time. These are the reasons I would like timely updates. I believe it is only a matter of if not when things like this start to happen.

Options

369 Posts

10-12-2012

United States of America

904 Signins

22103 Page Views

• Views: 22103
  • Message 494 of 592

2016-10-14, 1:40 AM
Asking here in a peer-to-peer technical forum to speed up security updates from a partner who hasn't approved a Marshmallow update yet isn't going to make it happen one second sooner, if at all.
Options

189 Posts

07-04-2014

United States

57 Signins

457 Page Views

• Views: 457
  • Message 495 of 592

2016-10-14, 10:40 AM

wrote:

While I haven't had a device compromised I work in a BYOD corporate environment. A compromised device becomes my responsilibity. I don't want to take that risk. It only takes 1 breach to cost an individual a lot of trouble. I don't want to leave that window open. We are seeing Ransomware coming via infected ad banners, what's to stop that on a device. I believe it is only a matter of time. These are the reasons I would like timely updates. I believe it is only a matter of if not when things like this start to happen.

I'm in the same boat. I use my turbo in a BYOD environment, and security is important. I am also considering the pixel xl as this phones replacement. I need to have proper security updates, and also will be buying unlocked from Google instead of getting it through big red. I wanted to stay with moto, I really did. Battery life was the main reason I chose this phone , because I need access to my corporate applications whenever and wherever I am at. I have experienced this three times in a row with three different models of moto phones. As much as I hate to say this, I'm probably out. 

Options

281 Posts

06-02-2011

United States

123 Signins

1897 Page Views

• Views: 1897
  • Message 496 of 592

2016-10-14, 13:00 PM

wrote:
Asking here in a peer-to-peer technical forum to speed up security updates from a partner who hasn't approved a Marshmallow update yet isn't going to make it happen one second sooner, if at all.

Many of us who have been here a while understand this is going to do nothing to speed updates. It does however provide us a place to commiserate and vent together until our contracts run out. Feel free to join in if you would like, it is cathartic. Now on the outside chance Motorola is watching this thread, maybe they will understand the impact they have on their customers. Doubtful though, I haven't seen anything change based on the forums with the last two Motorola phones I have owned.

Options

25 Posts

11-29-2014

United States

38 Signins

597 Page Views

• Views: 597
  • Message 497 of 592

2016-10-14, 23:46 PM

My random thoughts....I had the OG Droid, the Bionic and now the Turbo.  The Bionic had plenty of drama at the start.  I got burned on the lapdock 100 & 500 (way to call it futureproof.)  Was the Turbo the last google owned/inspired Moto phone?  I would guess Lenovo wants nothing to do with a phone they did not design.  I really don't think I have much confidence in all the Moto mods that came out for the new Droids.  I am pretty sure when my Turbo dies I will be looking elsewhere.  No more carrier exclusives.  Big Red & Moto have pretty much convinced me brand loyalty was a mistake. There were other flagships at the time (lg g3) that got MM without issue.  Why can't Moto/lenovo & VZW make this happen?  The Turbo is more than capable.  Keep downsizing to keep your profits up & sooner or later your customers will wise up.  I feel better now.

Options

96 Posts

12-10-2014

U.K.

151 Signins

929 Page Views

• Views: 929
  • Message 498 of 592

2016-10-15, 11:19 AM

It's going on two years that I wasted here. Moto fast updates, Verizon flagship phone. HaHa!

Official Lollipop (Android 5.x) News here
Options

‎12-18-2014 02:35 PM
Feel free to ask questions - as soon as we have dates or news to share, we will post it here. Please don't start new threads - this is your place to ask anything you want to about the upcoming OS update. Of course, we may not be able to answer everything. But we can at least volunteer what we know, what we don't know and what we think.

Options

214 Posts

11-05-2014

United States of America

188 Signins

2815 Page Views

• Views: 2815
  • Message 499 of 592

2016-10-17, 18:33 PM

Marshmallow has been out for almost a whole year now. This whole thing has been a slap in the face to consumers. It's probably why Google finally decided to make their own hardware with the Pixel phones and have vertical integration with hardware and software. Apple has shown how successful that model can be. The iPhone 5 was released over 4 years ago. It has received consistent updates for 4 years, and just recently got iOS 10. 4 YEARS OF PROMPT UPDATES. Such a mind boggling concept for Motorola I'm sure. Motorola abandoned this phone after delivering Lollipop 9 months late, and forgot all about the Marshmallow update they promised us. It's just absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.

Options

60 Posts

03-02-2016

United States of America

122 Signins

743 Page Views

• Views: 743
  • Message 500 of 592

2016-10-17, 18:34 PM

I doubt even Google Pixel phones will get more than 2 years of support.  Makes me wonder if it's time to switch back to Apple.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms